“Amazing resort and even more phenomenal staff!”

Holiday Acres Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rhinelander
“Amazing resort and even more phenomenal staff!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My family and I have vacationed here for 15 years now and I look forward to this trip more and more each year! They always come up with new activities to do and treat you like family when you arrive. Kim and his family always remember us and greet us with a smile and such enthusiasm. The cabins are so nice and the lake is indescribeable! I want to get married here some day even though it's 6 hours away from my house in Illinois!! I can't wait until our trip up here in July and would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for that "home away from home" and quiet yet active and relaxing place to vacation! Thank you Zambon's for creating this amazing resort! :)

• Stayed July 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 10 June 2011

What a wonderful place to stay in Rhinelander!! The lake and cabins are picture perfect with the staff so friendly you can't believe it. The trails were beautiful and the food and bar were awesome. Would stay again in minute!! Thanks for the great time!

• Stayed July 2010
Mountain, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Had a wonderful time on a quick weekend getaway from our own resort. Kari and Kim are great hosts and the food and music was wonderful...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I have been going to Holiday Acres for over 40 years. It's hard to believe. It is a fantastic resort. The owners, Kim & Kari Zambon are amazing. The restaurant has outstanding food and is still an old fashioned supper club with all the trimmings. The bar and bartenders are fantastic and make out of the world brandy alexanders and grasshoppers and anything else your heart desires. There is so much to do or do nothing, as you wish. The cottages are wonderful, most have fireplaces and overlook beautiful Lake Thompson. There is nothing better than sleeping in the northwoods. Fresh air, pine trees and quiet. This resort has everything one could want, from tennis courts, indoor pool, a beach, water sports, great walks in the woods, and horseback riding. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Dear D.K.- Where have those 40 years gone? Thanks for being part of our Holiday Acres family and bringing your family into the fold! One of our great pleasures in the resort business is the making and keeping of friendships. You have always been a great friend and supporter of HAR. Thanks for taking the time to share your good words.
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 June 2011

My Mom found this resort 28 years ago and we made it a family vacation every year. The owners and staff are wonderful, the cabins are nestled in the wooded resort. The kids always loved it because there is so much to do. The bar and dining room is gorgeous and the food is wonderful. My parents are gone now and my kids are 28 and 30 and they still get the enjoyment they did 28 years ago by going back to this resort. We went in May this year with our kids , sister and brother in law. It was a little bittersweet without our parents but i know they'd be happy we continue the tradition. We've never been disappointed at Holiday Acres, it's a must see resort!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Thank you, LisaB for sharing your memories and appreciation on TripAdvisor. One of our great sources of pleasure is having multiple generations of families be Holiday Acres family friends. It is what keeps us going! We're so glad that the HAR traditions begun by your mom and dad are still part of what is important to your family. Looking forward to next time. Kari and Kim Z.
MN
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Families:
If you want a place where your children can talk about your stay for years to come, this is the place. It reminded me of the summer vacations on the lake I had as a child. I flashed back to a little girl when I saw the Holiday Acre Stables, where they have horses from May to Sept!

Couples: This is also a very nice place to take a weekend away, or for a special dinner at the restaurant at Holiday Acres (Tree Coins). It has a warm, inviting atmosphere with a fireplace, and a wonderful menu.

Rooms:
I stayed in the main lodge, so I can't speak to the new executive homes and cottages that they also rent. As for the rooms in the lodge, the charm of this place is not in updated fixtures and modern decor, but in old world charm. It was extremely clean. For you clean freaks, there was a sign about how seriously they take "clean." They had something called a "clean remote" which is a remote for the TV that can easily be wiped clean. I loved this after having watched a show on hotel rooms, and they showed that the most contaminated item in a hotel room is the remote! Yuck!

Staff:
The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. I was only here two nights and they were starting to call me by my first name!

Activities:
I would advise you to take a look at their website "www.holidayacres.com" where they highlight all their activities. I was surprised to learn that they actually groom their own trails for cross country skiing in the winter.

Suggestions:
The only suggestion I have is to add expresso-based coffee drinks (lattes, cappuccinos, etc) on premise for those that are addicted and need their fix!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Buoyed by the good reviews here (though frankly, some HAVE to be fake, I'm sorry) we stayed here for a couple of nights at the hotel. It reminded me of a smaller version of the resorts in Lake Geneva where I spent my childhood - even the cedar smell took me back.

Our room was somewhat dated but pretty clean. And BIG. There were 2 beds and still lots of room.

I absolutely loved the dining room and lounge - it looked unchanged from the 50's - lots of big windows and wood and stone. The food was pretty good to, along with the ice cream drinks.

Didn't get to use the pool or sauna as it was full of kids - even in the sauna.

Boat rental was cheap, and the motors were actually pretty good. The front desk told us of a good fishing spot where I got plenty of fish. Getting a boat out of the harbor took some wrangling as they're beached on the beach, and it's kind of a DIY operation. But that was ok.

The only negative is that everyone seemed to know everyone else and we felt kind of like outsiders. And some of the families were kind of loud and using coarse language around their campfires. I probably wouldn't stay in a cabin as they were pretty close to one another. A couple of cabins were practically on the beach, which would drive me crazy if I had to hear people frolicking all day and into the night.

In short, this is typical northwoods non-chain lodging - a little old and frayed but with character, and I would stay here again. In the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinelander
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rhinelander
Days Inn & Suites Rhinelander
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 8 in Rhinelander

Been to Holiday Acres Resort? Share your experiences!