“Very Friendly and Clean!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We frequent the Econolodge a couple of times per year with our last visit in March, 2013. What a great hotel. The staff is very nice and there is plenty to do in the area. The suites are huge and very clean. The pool and hottub areas are always nice and clean too. The breakfast area is kept up well even during busy times. It was nice to go sit and watch TV in the breakfast area later in the evening while enjoying the company of other hotel guests!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jim M

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I've chosen this hotel because they allow pets and they charged me a very reasonable rate.Location was great,The room is very clean and the staff are awesome.here comes the worst part of the review.around 3 am people staying in the other room were so loud that I had to go down stairs and talk to the overnight staff.she pretty much took care of the situation and I was glad.the bad part is my son could not sleep anymore.he had a bowling tournament in a couple of hours but because of lack of sleep,he almost didn't make it to the tournament.i wouldn't mind moving into a new room at 3 in the morning,but that would have been a good option...

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 18 January 2013

When this hotel is judged as an Econo Lodge it is truly very good. The rooms were clean and spacious. The bathroom at bit dated. The breakfast was better quality than your a typical Econo Lodge. Location is handy to I-39, food and Grante Peak.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Fortyplusoutayear
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Our family needed to find a hotel on short notice in order to attend a funeral in the Wausau area. After not having a good experience at a different hotel, we decided to try the Econo Lodge, and are so glad that we did. The desk clerk was able to find us a room even though we didn't have a reservation, gave us a discount and answered all of our questions about the area, making the check-in process so easy. The room itself was very clean, spacious and quiet, nothing too fancy, but exactly what we were looking for. Continential breakfast in the morning was also provided. Only have good things to say about our stay. I would definately stay at this hotel again when visiting the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott J
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Depending upon the day you check in, the rate can be $10-$20 higher than the Motel 6 next door--but that is okay--because it is well worth the difference! The clerks are the friendliest clerks I have ever seen. The room was super-clean and quite large with a very comfortable sofa. The TV has many channels; including premium channels. I do not agree with some of the comments that the breakfast choices were sparse. I think they offered many choices; including hot waffles that you make yourself.

The location is great with a large shopping center just a block away; and many fast-food and restaraunt choices within eye-shot of the hotel. The Lamer's and Jefferson Lines bus station with buses that travel to the Twin Cities or Milwaukee is only a 10-minute walk.

The only drawback (and this is NOT the hotel's fault) is that the city of Rothschild (where Econo Lodge is actually located) pulled out of the Wausau Metro Bus agreement and now, there is no local bus service to the city of Wausau. From what I understand from one of the clerks, many businesses and residents are angrily petitioning the city to bring back bus service. It is pleasant to see businesses, such as Econo Lodge, involved in a worthy cause like public transportation.
Hopefully, they will win!

Despite the lack of public transit, I would stay here again, and I would highly recommend this Econo Lodge!

Room Tip: If you can, stay on a Sunday thru Thursday night--the rooms are about $10 less on those nights.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel a few times in the past 3 months and I have nothing bad to say. It is right off I-39, near where Highway 29 meets up. It is across the street from multiple restaurants, including a Denny's that has the best breakfast. Excellent staff, service, good pool, rooms are quiet,clean, spacious. I would recommend this place to anyone. Also one of the best rates in town.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Wanderingw_21
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night on Saturday January 28th, 2012. This is our 5th stay at the hotel. I posted a review after our 4th stay (posted below). Thankfully everything is still very nice at this location. The young lady that checked us Saturday evening was very nice. The first room that was assigned to us smelled like cigarette smoke. All rooms are supposed to be non-smoking. I don't blame the hotel for this. I blame the previous occupant. We were given a bigger and nicer room which was very nice.

The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast area is huge with a decent selection of foods to choose from. The coffee was tasty. The staff in the morning is also very good.

We like the outdoor play areas around Wausau so we stay there a few times a year. We'll be back!

Room Tip: The King Suite is huge, get it if you can!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Quality Inn Wausau
Quality Inn Wausau
#9 of 11 in Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!