“Great place for the kids.”

Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
New London, Wisconsin
“Great place for the kids.”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our group of young teenage boys had a blast. The waterpark hours were a little disappointing. It was a challenge to keep 3 teenage boys content for 11 hours. Other than that it was a great value. We will return.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank RLB7268

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend with three kids: 10 yrs, 3 yrs, and 1.5 yrs. They all loved it. The rooms are above average (I stay at the Stoney Creek in Sioux City, IA for work, and this one was close). The waterpark was fantastic, enough for the big and little kids to stay busy for hours. The kids were amazed by the big, tipping bucket! They also played games in the arcade. There is even a walking/biking trail a couple of blocks away, winding around and crossing streams with covered bridges.

Only small issues:
1. Beds are a bit soft (especially compared to the other Stoney Creek beds I've used, which are better than many high end hotels).
2. The arcade had more than a few games that were out of order.
3. They don't lock secondary external the doors at night (when you'd think they would want them locked for security), yet they were locked and the key would not work at 11:30 (we had a Noon checkout) so I had to walk all the way around to the front entrance to get in.

The kids wish we were staying for a few weeks, they had a blast. Definitely do it with a group of families with kids, it won't disappoint.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the patio, better than the parking lot side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I get to to a bit of travel for business and for pleasure, and on this night I found myself working late and needed to find a room so I could continue again the next day. All the regular chains were full, but I remembered seeing this large resort on other trips so a phoned for a room. Reasonably priced at $99 mid week, off season, and they had a room.

When I arrived, I entered a lobby that matched the name perfectly. This is a Grand Lodge - and it felt as though I was the only one in the place. Impressive in size, looking neat, clean and bright, I immediately wished I'd brought the family with me.

The room was large and roomy, even though I'd booked the least expensive room available. I had a double queen that had a generous seating area and a large TV.

The Water Park area looked nice from the lobby window, but I didn't venture in. Plenty to do, and large areas for parents to gather and supervise, and on this Tuesday, completely empty. I walked around and all through the property the common areas were large, clean and yours for the taking. A well groomed outdoor area was surrounded by the hotel on three sides. It was a giant courtyard, the size of a football field. Great place for all members of the family or group to get together.

Location was convenient to the basics including groceries and a nice sports bar.

Way nicer than I expected, the only negative I found that the check out was slow with no one at the desk in the morning.

Wait, one more thing - FREE HOT BREAKFAST. I really appreciate being able to get up, grab a cup of coffee and some breakfast, and go. Never expected this at a Resort hotel, but there it was.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Menasha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Thought it was going to be great as they let my sister in law into the room early but it went down from there. Our heater wasn't working so it was pretty cold in our room. Had maintenance come and he was super nice (Dave), he was going to switch our room for us but he was told no, he needed to fix the heater while we went to waterpark but our plan was not to go to the waterpark right away so it was a bit of an inconvenience for us. Then as I was sitting in the waterpark I noticed a lot of rusting which I've been to alot of waterparks and never saw this kind of rusting before. Then when we went back to our room, the heater was now working however, there was a piece of dental floss on the counter..we did not use the dental floss so this was there from the prior guests! YUCK! Then at waterpark, the lines for food and drink were super long and understaffed. We stood in line for 15 minutes, no lie! It was a pain if you had a tray full of food because you had to set it down to open the very heavy door to get back in to the waterpark. They ran out of towels twice and when I went to the bathroom, there was no toilet paper in second stall. 3 hours later, I went to the bathroom again and still no toilet paper in the stall. they didn't have staff watching the kiddie play area so there was alot of running and that surprised me. We still had fun but they really need to clean up the place. Our room was very nice and spacious. The price was decent for the room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Edie S
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Edie, We are so sorry that your experience wasn’t up to expectations. Based on your descriptions, I can only say that I agree with your not being impressed. We will follow up on each of your comments and insure the next guest in doesn’t share your disappointment.
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The room was very spacious. The waterpark was a lot of fun for the whole family. It activities for all age groups. The only negative was that you have to have the room key inserted in an activation slot to run the heater/ac.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nate H
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

It's all average. If you have a 10 year old or younger, it's a good water park. About an hour max. Close to granite peak for skiing. Can't imagine staying there as your only destination. Rooms are average with a log cabin theme. Brown carpet, which always creeps me out a bit. But it's a good one night stay if you need to be in Wausau with a kid.

• Stayed February 2014
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Funskifamily, I am very sorry you left with an ‘average’ experience after a visit to our water park and our hotel. Most all of our water park patrons enjoy themselves for hours on end and regret when they run out of time, so I’m not sure what part of the many splashing good opportunities you may have missed. We get rave reviews on the guest room sizes and amenities as well. I don’t really know how to respond to your brown carpeting comment, but I want to thank you for taking the time to share your opinions on your all too brief visit.
Holmen, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed here in January 2014 for two nights. We enjoyed the waterpark. The breakfast buffet was ok. Not much difference between the free buffet during the week and the $10 buffet on the weekends. The waterpark is nice, clean, with plenty to do. The room was large, including a nice sitting area. The bathroom is tiny, but functional. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 11 in Wausau
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,034 reviews
Days Inn & Suites Wausau

Been to Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!