“Stoney Creek is simply a superb place”

Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Stoney Creek is simply a superb place”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I continue to keep coming back to this place, as the staff is very accommodating, and in-tune with business travelers' needs. My work is such that this place is essentially home-away-from-home.

Stoney Creek is clean, and quiet. Parents keep their kids "in check" and contain them from running wild and out-of-control, up-and-down the halls like at so many other places. Many of us corporate and business types keep long hours, and we need that peace of mind of coming back to a safe, and quiet place when bedding down at night. Wireless connectivity is rock solid with excellent signal, with their WiFi-N at 54Mbps. The gas fireplace in the main lobby is a very nice place to warm up to, given the bitter cold this past week.

I had a compelling need to include this review, as now going into two years, this place simply is consistent and a comfortable joy to come back to, not that it was some flash-in-the-pan or just a first impression from one of my previous reviews.

Yes, ample towels, carpeting that is clean... no toenail clippings as the place up the road, from where I used to stay a couple of years ago. Shower curtains clean. Ample-sized soap bars. Windows that slide, and don't stick.

Room Tip: From the automatic, sliding door up front, when your hands are full, to the front-desk staff, that a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I found this hotel online. Every now and again I get sick of staying in the same HI express.Thinking by rate (Quoted 119.00 a night) for a king room that i was probably getting a nice room given the area. I made the reservation. When I arrived at the hotel I was promptly attended and handed the key to my room. When i entered my room i looked everywhere for the fireplace that i understaood was in my room. I called the front desk. They offered to switch me to the fireplace room for 35.00 a night more until I requested a a check out. The employee did accomodate me. She didnt let me walk , but put me in the fireplace room that I thought I was getting in the first place at the same rate. Too bad i took her up. The room is next to the elevator shaft. That is what i hear every ten minutes. They advertise coffee 24 hours a day, and i cant find it except for between 6-9. The rooms. Well they are fastly become outdated. I found two oreo cookies jammed in my cushions of my easy chair, and a pubic from a sasquatch in the standing shower. The rooms are not neccesarily dirty, and not really run down however overall. But they are truly nowhere near the rate value that they are charging. I will stay at a newer property in the area next time, with a better scene, and more modern amneties for less money.

Room Tip: Request to not stay in any room bordering the elevator shaft!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Dear William B,
Our General Manager asked that I pass along these comments along with our sincere thanks and apology.
“Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel and I am disappointed that your stay was not 100% satisfactory. I have passed your comments along to our Executive Housekeeper and she is looking into the matter to make sure this is not overlooked in the future. Thank you for your business and please know that this is not typical of our hotel. I appreciate feedback from all of our guests as it helps to know what we need to focus on to make all of our future guest stays wonderful. We are continually working to keep our hotel up to date and accessible for all of our guests and your comments are appreciated.”
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Although check-in got off to a rocky start on this trip due to a staff member claiming to not find our company's negotiated rate and an attitude that was more than pushy (absolutely not typical of staff at this hotel) (but I was pretty tired after a very long day so I'll take some responsibility for being easily ruffled) I was happy to fall into the usual welcoming, clean and highly comfortable room one finds at this location.
And the very kind and efficient manager I met the next morning who righted the rate situation and got my morning off to a great start got everything back on track.
At every other stay at this property the staff has been wonderful and beyond accommodating. I know that it's a great place for family fun and the decor makes it very woodsy and welcoming but it's also nice to look forward to for a great night's sleep while traveling for business. We road warriors need our carrots, too!

Room Tip: The only noisy rooms I've found have been on the first floor near the front desk and elevator...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We stayed at the Stoney Creek Inn before leaving on an early morning bus shopping trip. Our bus was leaving before the breakfast room was scheduled to be open. Paul made sure we had breakfast and coffee before we left for our bus. Awesome experience! The facilities was great. The staff was courteous and very accommodating. They made us feel welcome. Loved the decor of the entire facility. I would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We have stayed at this property several times and have been pleased each time. Staff is friendly and helpful. The entire hotel is kept very clean! The pool area is nice and welcoming. The hot tub is not kept scorching so the kids were able to be in there too (with supervision!). The decor is very nice and we were able to get some really nice family pictures just in the lobby! The "continental breakfast" was way beyond expectations! Biscuits and gravy one day and eggs and sausage then next plus ceral, muffins, oatmeal, toast, juice, and coffee.

Room Tip: The double is a little small for a family of 5. First floor rooms seem to be a little smaller. Roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Marshfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We had our son's wedding here. Awesome experience! The facilities was great. The staff were courteous and very accommodating. We had a lot of overnight guests. They made us feel welcome. Rooms were nice. Some area were a little warm but overall an A+!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Altoona, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Nice spacious room with a big hot tub and flat screen tv.
Hotel in a great location by movie theater, grocery store and culvers.
Visit 2510 resturant for a great meal, prime rib was excellent.
Go to Briq's ice cream for a huge ice cream cone about a foot tall.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
Best Western Plus Wausau-Rothschild Hotel
Hampton Inn Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
#2 of 11 in Wausau
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Wausau-Rothschild

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau? Share your experiences!