“Stoney Creek Inn is the place”

Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
Mason City
“Stoney Creek Inn is the place”
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Excellent value with very nice rooms and recently remodeled rooms, kind staff, wonderful breakfast, loved the swimming pool, definitely would return to this or any other Stoney Creek Inn

• Liked — Plenty of room, clean, great service
  • Disliked — Wisconsin
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 May 2007

My husband and I stopped here on our way back home from Chicago after we got married. We decided to stop for the night and had checked out another local hotel and decided it was too expensive. I'm glad we checked this one out.

The price was reasonable and we had an extremely comfortable king sized bed. Though I'm not a huge fan of the log/rustic decor it seemed to work well and that a lot of thought had been put into the design of the hotel. Though we didn't get a chance to use the pool we did check out the pool area and were impressed.

In the morning we enjoyed the variety available for the breakfast, and though there was no dining on site there were several places very close by for a nice dinner.

The clerk who helped us answered all of our questions and even gave us some back story on the hotel which was interesting.

It's definitely one spot that my husband and I plan to visit again when we travel through Wisconsin.

• Liked — Reasonable price, comfortable and clean.
  • Disliked — Overpriced merchandise in gift shop.
  • Stayed October 2005, travelled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 March 2007

My family booked a fireplace/whirlpool suite with an adjoining room. The entire hotel is themed in a lodge decor. The suite was big with a large TV, micro and refrigerator. The adjoining room was a typical hotel room.

The pool room was clean. Pool and whirlpool were warm. Also a game room.

There is a nice complimentary breakfast. No on site restaurant, but there are places very close.

The staff was pleasant. The price/value is very good. It's on the same level as a Holiday Inn type hotel. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Location and lodge feel. Close to Ganite Peak.
  • Disliked — Toilet paper was terrible
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank PeterGunn
Weston, WI
Reviewed 18 May 2006

I actually live 10 miles from Stoney Creek Inn and I had always heard good things about the hotel. For my birthday this year my future in-laws came to town and our plans were to stay at the hotel over the weekend and relax in the hot tub.

I booked 2 rooms through their website 2 weeks prior to our stay. I found their on-line reservations system a little frustrating but nothing I couldn't handle or so I thought. After booking two separate reservations, I realized I had booked my fiance's parents room for the wrong day. I immediately called the front desk at the hotel and the man I talked to said it would be no problem to change that for me.

Fast forward to check in day. They see no reservation for my future in-laws. The front desk staff basically told us that they were fully booked and that we were out of luck, we would only have 1 room with 1 bed for 5 people. I ask them to check the reservation that I originally made for the wrong date. They then tell me that it was cancelled 10 minutes after it was created.

Instead of changing the date of the reservation the gentleman I talked to cancelled the reservation. As this was taking place the person I spoke to on the phone "Joe" walks out from the back room. I tell them he is the one I spoke to and he denies it. He actually said there was absolutely no way that I talked to him. I asked if they could check the date and time of the transaction where it proved that not only was he working when this cancellation took place, but low and behold he had made the cancellation.

In the end my in-laws ended staying in the room with my 6 foot tall future brother in-law sleeping on a roll away bed made for a 5 foot tall person. My fiance and I drove home and spend our "weekend away" at home in our own bed. None of this would have really bothered me as much if I would have received at least one "We're Sorry for your inconvenience." Instead the front desk staff argued with me for about 45 minutes over this whole situation. It leaves me to wonder what ever happened to "the customer is always right."

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank MgclMel
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed 8 May 2005

Although the address is Mosinee, this property is closer to Wausau than to the small town of Mosinee. It has a "northwoods" theme. The front desk staff were very courteous and friendly. My room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The continental breakfast had the typical assortment of carbohydrate-heavy offerings---rolls, muffins, toaster waffles, instant oatmeal, etc. There isn't a restaurant on-site for a real breakfast, but there are some within walking distance (at least during good weather).

Stayed May 2005
4 Thank MNGuest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,034 reviews
Best Western Plus Wausau-Rothschild Hotel
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wausau

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau? Share your experiences!