“So glad the old owners are back!”

Spang's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 30 Restaurants in Saint Germain
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Pizza and antipasto salad was a highly anticipated treat at our annual camping trip to St Germain area - so we were greatly disappointed to find Spangs closed when we arrived in July 2012. Reading online it appeared the owners who had run the restaurant since 1972 had sold the business to someone who changed the decor and the menu and ran the business into the ground in just a year.

But the previous owners are back. Yes, the church pew seating is gone - but the charm remains and the Spangs Special pizza is a wonderful as ever. Thin crispy crust, plenty of toppings, tasty sauce and cheese.

They are open 5-9:30 every day of the week and yes the service can be somewhat slow when they get busy- which is usually shortly after they open. But the pizza is worth the wait. Have not ever tried the other entrees, so can not comment on those.

They have a new counter to accomodate to-go orders - nice improvement. Also have a small bar.

1  Thank budgettraveler55

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The food was very good, service was a little slow, but the staff there was very friendly and did a good job. The place was packed, I suggest you get there by 5 if you don't want to wait for a table. This was my second time there since they reopened, it seems to be a getting a lot better! I look forward to returning and having the "Milwaukee pizza". Yum!

1  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Very good American-Italian. Owners are the nicest people in the world. Old owner was a schmuk. Ignore old poor reviews. Try the bruschetta.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We enjoyed the pizza and salad on the menu. The owner was friendly and made everyone in the dining room feel at home. Not fancy

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

We, too, had been fans of the old Spangs and weary of all the negative experiences rumored to have occurred as of recently.

We were a large party of 10 when we entered on Juky 3, 2013. Night before Juky 4th and te north woods was hoppin'!

The older hostess was a bit off putting when I told her our party was 10 people and she digs and rolled her eyes at me.

We got drinks and our very adept bar tender made legit old fashions with bitters and sugar!

The wait was short for a ten top. Our waiter was young but wager to please.

The food was a long wait - but it was fine. The pizza was spectacular - crispy cheesy goodness. My husband said his Osso Busco was great. My chicken artichoke pasta was excellently flavored and cooked, a tad greasy. Everyone else liked there dishes.

I did hear several service blunders - people not getting drinks or food orders messed up, but I think they were unprepared for how busy they were going to be.

All in all - surprised and happy that this trip to Spangs was great. I would recommend to others - give them a chance - not the horror stories mentioned recently.