“Very clean, nice but a few updates would help”
Review of Whitetail Lodge

Whitetail Lodge
Whitetail Lodge
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The rooms and common areas are kept very clean. The rooms are nice and have plenty of space. The furniture (sofa, chair) could use some updating. They were pretty saggy and not very comfortable to sit in. Bed was OK. Bathrooms were clean and OK. The property is beautiful. Pool, deck area are very nice. The staff seemed friendly. The included breakfast was a little skimpy. Just donuts, toast, bagels, coffee, juice. Not even any cold cereal or milk. Even at the super 8 you get the waffle maker and usually hard boiled eggs, certainly milk. I've never stayed anywhere that had so many signs on 'don't do's' -- don't use the regular towels if you have makeup, don't run the fireplace except....., don't use the patio door for room access, don't cook in the room...including crockpots, electric fry pans, etc. BTW there is a refrigerator and microwave and large counter. I wouldn't have thought of cooking until they said not to! I'd probably stay here again.

Room Tip: This property is really spread out and the only entrance is the center main entrance and the parking...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I am not sure about a couple of the reviews. The Staff has always been GREAT and courteous. No one has ever been rude or cocky. I have been coming to this place for years and never had any problems.

The Value is there and so is the service!

I would recommend to everyone looking for a very enjoyable north-woods lodging experience.

Room Tip: All the Rooms are very large. Ask for a room in the back. They have the best views of the woods, and...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jsosso
Reviewed 11 April 2012

So sorry to read the previous reviews...I have been staying at the Whitetail Lodge in Saint Germain for the last 6 years. I travel to the area 3-4 times a year to visit family and friends and always choose to stay with them. They are located just outside Saint Germain, a stones throw from the great biking/hiking and snowmobile trails; they are also located just across the street from the Saint Germain Golf Club, which is a fun, yet challenging course, and several places to grab a bite to eat. I have always experienced the staff to be very welcoming and helpful; no matter what time of the year, they always have up to date weather forecasts and great recommendations for places to grab a drink, meal and things to see and do.

There have been many recent upgrades too, including a nice flat panel screen TV in the lounge area, as well as in each room. I have also noticed that my cell phone reception has also gotten a lot better ( a few years ago it was near impossible to get any type of reception and now, even with my smart phone, I can make/receive calls and access the internet).

Another thing that I can speak to is their rates. I know that they have not gone up much, if at all in the time that I have been staying there. They do provide a modest, but nice, continental breakfast with juices, coffee, teas, bagels, muffins, pastry, yogurts and fresh fruit.

I know I will be returning again; it's the perfect place to rest up so you can play hard!

Room Tip: The hotel is one floor and all of the rooms have patio access; this access is limited to the nicer m...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Renegade6726
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The rooms are not $120 a night rooms, if you are going to charge that at least be up to par with a Hampton Inn. The people there are rude, mainly the older tall guy with gray hair. Bad breakfast. We had a group of guys so having a bar and restaurant connected was key, their website says their "19th Hole" is on the same property, not so, its way down the road and was closed. Thankfully there are many other nice places in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank DOO S
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Not sure where previous reviewer stayed but we states their for nights while they were there and has a great experience. The restaurant that is near the lodge its the Whitetail Inn not the 19th hole amass we opened out patio door several times and were never funded.. Lol. The hotel staff was great. They have a great spot right in front of the hotel to park your sleds it would bed unsafe. To park in front of your rooms in car of a fire. Maybe some people are to lazy to walk 50 feet from turret posting area to the hotel. I also had management ask me about trail conditions so they could keep incoming guests informed. This is a very nice place and we will stay here again. They are an easy 1/2 mile from a gas station and close to Sisters Saloon and Blink Bonnie's I get upset when I read reviews like the previous one that is false.

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank Living4theblues
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We staying here for three nights to go snowmobiling. We decided to pay their high rate of $120 per night because they claim to have a restaurant and bar on campus, figured that would be nice after a long day of riding. The fact is that the bar/restaurant, "The 19th Hole" is 3/4 mile down the road. Aside from the distance they say "The 19th Hole" is open 10am-11pm daily, NOT TRUE. It was closed at 7:45pm on a Thursday, the next night we went there (Friday) and they rushed us out to close at 9PM. While we were at The 19th Hole, we had to track someone down to get a beer every time, and the food was gross. When I asked the hotel manager about the advertised hours versus the actual hours, he gave me some cocky response advising me that those in the "Northwoods" aren't here to cater to tourist 24/7, wow.

All the rooms on ground level and they refuse to let you park your snowmobile by your room. They also will not let you open the sliding glass doors in the winter or they will fine you. Rooms are average, but way below $120 per night quality. The free breakfast does not include actual real food of any kind, unless donuts and stale bagels are what you crave - gross.

All in all, this hotel along with the bar/restaurant down the road are owned and operated by bitter, mean and nasty people who hate tourist. They are those types of people who we all know that really fail to understand who keeps them in buinsess, which is why I have no doubt this place will not stay in business. They have absolutey no understanding of how to take care of a customer, not can they even keep a customer feeling neutral. I ended up spending the ride hoem apologizing for picking this place. Aside from myself, my family and friends will never ever ever ever, stay here or go to their bar/restaurant ever again and I'd advise you don't waste your money here either - save it for a business who actually appreciates your business and wants you tyo come back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Tom W
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We recently returned to the Whitetail Lodge as it has been a favorite in years past. It's been a few years since we've been there and it was obvious that not much has been done to update the facility and the amenities for a "deluxe" resort certainly weren't apparent especially in the rooms. The furnishings and bedding needs to be replaced. The deluxe room that we stayed in no longer had a coffeemarker and only minimal toiletries and there are no complimentary beverages in the lobby until morning. The room and facility was clean. We did not use the pool. The other thing we noticed were several instruction sheets not only in the lobby but several in the room and we felt like the list of things not to do was excessive. We are wondering if there are new owners or new managers but there definitely were a lot of differences from years past. We've stayed in other deluxe resorts in the area and definitely would recommend checking rates before making this your first choice.

Room Tip: Wooded setting however the front of the building faces the road.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 12 in Eagle River
Holiday Acres Resort
Holiday Acres Resort
#3 of 8 in Rhinelander

Been to Whitetail Lodge? Share your experiences!