“If you don't like this place...you must be from Illinois”

Golden Pines Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #11 of 29 Restaurants in Saint Germain
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Germain food is top notch. The Wiener schnitzel, red cabbage is worth the gas.....to get there. What did you think I meant?
If you're in fricken Wisconsin don't expect a Chesapeake crab cake to taste anything like the real thing. Steaks, yup. German food, yup, big rock glasses with generous pours, yup.
The steaks are very very well done. I've had great meals here for more than 20+ years. If you're not on vacation chill-laxin then keep driving.
Worth the typical long wait during the on "season".

1  Thank 358jimz
There are newer reviews for Golden Pines Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have been going here for years! In the past we have always had great food and a great experience. HOWEVER, if you stop in for just an ice cream drink they don't want to have anything to do with you. Then to add insult to the entire situation they pick a fight and argue with my family. I'm sorry but if 8 people agree that this was a rude and unwelcoming experience then that is exactly what it was! VERY DISAPPOINTED AND WILL NEVER RETURN!

3  Thank Dusty H
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband loves wiener schnitzel. We knew this one was one of the few restaurants left up here that we could still get it. It did not disappoint. My husband loved it! I had the shrimp scampi style which was also very good. The home-made dressing for the salads were also excellent. Our server was wonderful, very attentive. We would visit Golden Pines again this summer, and bring friends with next time. We also love the oldies music they play.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I took a long Father's Day weekend, rented a cabin on Lac Vieux Desert, and planned on trying new restaurants in the area. We frequent this area of the Wisconsin Northwoods and love trying out the different menu selections. Not having been to The Golden Pines, we checked out the online menu and decided to have a nice Father's Day dinner there.

While the menu selections were enormous and quite inviting, I definitely can not and would not recommend the Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes, the Veal Oscar or the New York Strip! The crab cakes were absolutely nothing like a Chesapeake Bay crab cake - I could hardly taste any crabmeat. They looked like they were right off the food truck. My Veal Oscar was so heavily breaded and over cooked that I ate only a few bites before calling it quits. My husband's steak was ordered rare and it looked as if it had turned gray while it sat in the kitchen! About the farthest thing from rare we had ever seen!

Aside from our poor meal, the atmosphere is really nice - an historic log cabin feel - and our server was a gem with a quick wit and attentive service. The best part of our meal was the Johnny Walker Black. But, we were told that this restaurant has really good German food so perhaps it's best to order what a place is reputed for. Unfortunately, I can't imagine going back for another disappointment.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Went to St. Germain for a weekend and asked a few locals where to go eat. This place is lovely and unique. Loved the log cabin style. Our waitress was great. A lot of food, many options and it all tasted awesome. I would recommend this place to anyone.