“Lots of Recreational Opportunities”
Review of Wisconsin River

Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Sauk City
wisconsin
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Lots of Recreational Opportunities”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Lots of water sports available, beautiful area of the state.

Hurley, Wisconsin
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“My Brother and His Wife took My Wife and I and we Love It”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My brother lives about 30 minutes from the river and he took my wife and I out for a tour. We had a wonderful time. We launched out of a public dock and found that to be wonderful. We boated around and finally went down the river and had a cookout. It was amazing. It was very busy but that is to be expected. We are looking forward to going back for the same experience again.

Visited May 2011
A TripAdvisor Member
“Peaceful Paddles”
Reviewed 20 September 2002

My review is based on my love for the Wisconsin River and canoeing it's lower section from Sauk Praire to Wyalusing along the mississippi convergence.

Typically the Wisconsin River is a canoeing river which many sections can be traveled in day trips or overnight trips. Over night trips can be done by camping on the many sandbars throughout the river. Caution is advised to look up the river height on the USGS Web site at Muscoda to ensure the river is not too high to hide the island paradise of sand bars. Typically a gage height below 3' is best.

Attractions include bald eagles, goose, cranes, herons, king fisher and many other birds which migrate along the Mississippi river.

Plenty of other wild life can be seen too like deer, racoons, and turtles of all species.

Best of all, canoeing the lower Wisconsin River can be a delightful experience to get away to enjoy the peacefulness the wilderness has to offer. Also, the entire river has a sanding bottom with no muddy shore lines. Clean fun to be had by all. Even my kids enjoy the sandbars to swim off from and to builld sand castles in. Caution is advise to watch the river currents as they can be strong and shift sandbars unexpectedly.

My favorite section is from Muscoda, WI to the Woodman Landing. Bluffs and rock out crops left over by the glaciers is outstanding.

Enjoy. I know I will until the snow flies!

Barry Simon