“Fun Place even for adults”
Review of Bookworm Gardens

Bookworm Gardens
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Sheboygan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open seasonally, May 1- Oct. 31. Botanic Garden based on children's literature in Sheboygan, WI.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This was a really neat place and it was fun seeing all the children having a good time. The gardens are well taken care of and quite beautiful. the best part is the price, it is free.

There are newer reviews for Bookworm Gardens

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I am sad because I was very impressed with the Bookworm Gardens but was very put off by the way the volunteers talked to me and my family while there. We had just sat down to eat in the amphitheater and a volunteer bringing in a YMCA group asked me to move after I had just gotten everything out of my cooler to eat. If she would have asked nicely I would have been happy to, but the way she said it was rude. When we were done with lunch another volunteer confronted me about the trash I had and said, "We don't dispose of trash here, you'll have to take it with you". Again, I would NOT have minded doing that, but the way she sought me out and confronted me was rude yet again. Right after that, my family was walking down a path and yet another YMCA group totally ran us off of the path. My son, who is 3, was knocked off of the path by the large group, and the Bookworm Gardens volunteer scolded him for being in the garden and not on the path. Hello! He is a 3-year-old being bombarded by about 20 bigger kids.

Like I said, my kids LOVED the gardens. I don't think the volunteers there should prevent you from visiting but just beware. I understand that they have a lot of visitors each day and need to maintain control, but being confronted 3 times in the first 25 min. of being there was pretty frustrating.

We are from Milwaukee and it took about 1 hour to get there. I would plan on spending about 2 hours at the park because it takes about that long to walk through and truly enjoy everything. If you plan on eating there, I would recommend eating at one of the restaurants in town or eating a picnic outside of the garden. There is truly no garbage in the gardens and having 3 kids with lots of lunch trash made it quite hard.

I would bring my kids here again and have even thought about taking a field trip with my kindergarten class, I would just steer clear of the people who work there. Sorry!

1  Thank Jill A
Reviewed 20 August 2014

there are a lot of hands-on activities for kids of all ages. It is neat to see all the different themes from popular childrens' stories. Definitely worth going to.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

What a charming surprise! This series of gardens on the UW-Sheboygan Campus is dedicated to children and children's literature. There are so many representations, from Stuart Little's house to the Little House and Winnie the Pooh's house. The gardens are lovely and it's a nice way to spend a summer afternoon. There are boxes with books in them for reading and it's filled with absolute charm!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

After reading the reviews online, we decided to take our three children there while in town. It was one of the most talked about stops on our trip. The kids loved talking about the books whose scenes were depicted in the displays.

Even without kids, this is a great stop. It's a perfect spot for some picture taking.

Been to Bookworm Gardens? Share your experiences!