“Stunning, peaceful dining experience with a great view!!”

Whistling Straits Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 170 Restaurants in Sheboygan
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Enjoy a scenic view of Lake Michigan in this rustic Irish Farmhouse setting. Whistling Straits serves a mixture of innovative and classic cuisine with Irish & British influences.
Reviewed 16 August 2014

First off, if you've never been to Whistling Straits, the parking can be a little bit confusing on the first visit and figuring out which building is the restaurant is a coin toss. Go for the larger building on the south! (there are no signs, in an effort to keep the purity and nature preserved)

We started out our anniversary experience with a bottle of wine in the restaurant courtyard and enjoyed great views of the golf course and Lake Michigan. After a couple glasses we went into the restuarant for dinner. We started out with salads (Bibb lettuce wedge salad for me, and my wife got the Market Greens Salad) and artisan breads which were excellent and not overly filling. We got the Scotch egg appetizer which was positively delightful, as well as the potato leek soup (which comes with a nice shot of sherry that you can mix in with it for a nice splash!). That got our appetites set for the main event!

For the main course I got the 7 oz Herb Grilled Beef Tenderloin with horseradish whipped potatoes, grilled asparagus, and red wine demi-glace. Every bite was pure perfection and I couldn't set my fork down till it was gone. The steak was done exactly to my liking.

My wife got the 14 oz Grilled Rib Eye Steak with roasted fingerling potatoes, creamed wild mushroom ragoût, caramelized shallot and cracked pepper butter. Another stunningly delicious meal, and again, done to perfection.

The wait staff was very professional and friendly, but they gave us plenty of personal space to enjoy the meal but were always nearby if we needed something.

One thing I've noticed about some of the negative reviews is people complaining about the price. Yes, it is expensive but you definitely get what you pay for here. Don't come to a PGA rated golf course and expect TGI Fridays prices. It is well worth the extra spend, in our opinion!

Whenever I make a review on TripAdvisor they ask me "is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant"? This is the first time I have answered "yes", because it was truly awesome. We feel lucky to live right here in Sheboygan with such a fine establishment nearby for special occasions.

Classic elegance and style we have come to expect from Kohler!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My son and I ate at the WSR for a few different meals. I will focus on the great things first. Get the Potato Leek Soup and then order it again at every meal. It was so good, my son got the recipe and his wife made about 6 quarts of the soup and I have had many delicious bowls since. I'm not sure I love the soup or the sherry, or both? It's both and it's GREAT! I was lucky to have another great soup on the trip at White Chocolate in Napersville, IL. Tomato GIn soup!! Try it.
The second best food item ever was the Sticky Toffee Pudding. It was outstanding. The variety of flavors wanted you to have a second one, but you would not make it out of the chair if you did. It was one of the best desserts I've ever had. Equal to the one I rated on Hilton Head at Pomodoro.
The so-so's were some lunch items and the breakfast Buffet. The buffet was about 20 bucks(cost, tax and tip) and you should stop at any coffee shop on the way over and do better. VAT eggs, cold potatoes and no juice did not warrant the price. If there was juice, it was never offered. For those staying at the Inn on Woodlake, their breakfast is almost as good(?) and included in the room rate.
The worst was their attempt at a Rueben. It was soooo dry that I had to ask for some Russian dressing to try to give the sandwich some moisture. Coming from NJ, I've had many a great Rueben and this was clearly the worst. We make better Ruebens at home!! To add insult to injury, I didn't get the soup at lunch, I got the chili. I didn't make that mistake again!

So here's what you do, stop at Dunkin and get coffee and a donut, play 18, order the soup, pick a lunch item you hope they don't ruin and order the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Now get out there and play another 18!! If you can!!

1  Thank BCM1225
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We dined Al fresco. Food delectable. The view of an amazing golf course and Lake Michigan only improved our luncheon experience from excellent to Wow! The wait staff were friendly and accommodating. Reasonably priced. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a wonderful meal at Whistling Straits! Enjoyed a great lunch after s soggy round of golf. Service was excellent, view was great, and food was good. Even though it was July, it was cool. They have a beautiful fireplace the really warmed the room. Great place to visit even if you're not playing golf!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We first went here for lunch after I walked 18holes with my husband in the wind and heavy mist ( one of the best experiences ive had with my husband ;) ♥ Lunch was so good ... he had the fish and chips and I had the slider with homemade chips. Food was well seasoned and well cooked. Plus the service was fast and friendly and didnt make me feel out of place with my wet wind blown hat hair and damp clothes :) yes a bit pricey for lunch but it was worth it :) lunch gets a perfect 10 :)
The next night we went back to the restaurant for dinner after we made last minute reservations ( they were very accomadating) Attire was dressier casual ( suit and tie not required) slacks and golf shirt for my
husband ... capris and dressy top for me. Restaurant has great warm wood tones and casual elegance very romantic. We started out with the potato leek soup .... so creamy and yummy:) Then I ordered the pork chop and my husband ordered the beef tenderloin. We were allowed to substitute our sides out too. The pork chop was tender and moist and potatoes were very good but the carrots were very bland. My husbands was about the same... beef tender but came out a tad more rare than he was used to, his potatoes were very good but again his green beans were very bland. We ordered dessert and split the Banofee which was was like a mini banana trifle ... light sweet and scrumptious :) Service was a little slow but our server was also waiting on a table of 12 having a family get together, but she was very apologetic and got our dessert out to us first. Our night out here took about 2 1/2 hours again I think due to the large table but we didnt mind because it was a nice date night for us. Restaurant ambiance gets a perfect 10, the service a 9.5, and the food an 8.... just a bit pricey for the overall taste of the meal.