“Terrible customer service”

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
“Terrible customer service”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We arrived to this wonderful property and were taken away. We came for a wedding which was amazing. At check out, the front desk service was terrible. It seemed as the staff was not orientated to their position. I was accidentally credited a large amount of money by error of typing. We waited at the front desk for 45 minutes while the "manager on duty" (who never came out) fixed it. The next day there was no credit, but a huge withdrawal. After attempting to contact them, I had very rude front desk service and they were very dismissive. I ended up having to call my bank personally to help rather than any assistance from management at the Blue Harbor.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Chelsi19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here in a 2 bed condo overlooking the lake for 5 nights in June. As I was working locally that week we needed somewhere to keep my wife, 4 year and 10 month old boys amused whilst I was gone. The Blue Harbor certainly did not disappoint. The condo was well appointed (if a little out of date decor wise), very clean and had the perfect space to spread out our life and lots of toys for the week. Just a few steps from the beach and the water park it was a perfect location for paddling and playing for the boys, and with excellent coffee shops and restaurants lining both sides of the river there was no shortage of little stop offs for coffee and cakes.

The main hotel lobby and facilities are really nice, and just recently remodelled. We did not eat at the hotel restaurants, but locally in Sheboygan as I know the area well. however, they looked inviting and bustling. The hotel runs an active kids club and the boys partook on several occasions with artistic and fun activities, as well as bedtime stories and marshmallow toasting round the fire pit each evening.

The watermark itself was not large but did have some excellent slides and fixtures that we all loved. We visited the Dells the following week, and this really held its own even if not on scale. The lifeguards were attentive and visible, and there was a plentiful supply of good life jackets. The best thing was that it really wasn't busy and on. It's afternoons we virtually had the place to ourselves!

Overall highly recommended for families with young children, particularly the condos - although top price they are well worth the extra space and privacy for parents and kids alike. We will return!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sirbedemir
Chicago, IL.
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband, two sons (ages 6 and 2) stayed in a villa for two nights in June. The lobby atrium was modern, airy and open and featured a gorgeous view of Lake Michigan. Our villa was very clean and stocked with dishes, utensils, soaps, and standard hotel amenities. We enjoyed lake views from almost all windows in our villa. The housekeeping staff were accomodating when we requested a pack and play for our toddler. We were a few steps from a gorgeous sandy beach and two buildings away from the fun and exciting indoor water park and outdoor pool. My six-year old had a blast on the four water and tube slides. The two year old enjoyed the zero-depth spray area and toddler pool. Lifeguards were attentive to the children and were observed completing practice CPR drills. During the week, there was plenty of seating, sufficient hotel provided life jackets, and tubes. On the weekend, the waterpark was busier but still uncrowded. Furniture in the villa was mostly well-maintained although some stains were observed in our photos. Sheboygan is a very family-friendly area with a Children's Museum, boating, fishing, lovely parks, and a weekly summer farmer's market. I highly recommend Blue Harbor and will return with my family and extended relatives.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LauraMCC
Waukegan, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Blue Harbor Resort is a neat hotel with an indoor water park right on the shores of Lake Michigan. It really has a lot going for it and there's nothing quite like it nearby. My family (wife and two daughters that were 5 and 3 at the time) and I stayed over on a weekend several months ago in December 2011 (yes, parts of this review may now be outdated) and had a good time with one major exception detailed below.

My review is sorted by ratable categories below:

Service (5 stars):

Front desk was absolutely great. There was no wait, they let us check in early, and off to the water park we went! I don't remember check-out so it must have gone smoothly. Housekeeping cleaned the rooms without any incident!

Value (4 stars):

All of these types of hotels with indoor water parks strike me as being way, way overpriced. This one actually seems to be a little less expensive than comparable ones (in the Dells or Key Lime Cove in Gurnee, for example) and commonly has deals on their web site. In addition, they have a lot of neat room configurations (big bed for the parents, bunk beds for the kids, aquarium or boat-themed rooms, etc.) that are only slightly more expensive than the standard rooms.

Sleep Quality (4 stars):

The sleep quality was fine. It was actually a little on the warm side for December so we actually slept with the balcony door cracked so you could hear the Lake Michigan waves a little! (The wife and I prefer a little noise when we sleep.)

The one very minor suggestion for improvement that I have is: we had an aquarium themed room and the kids had a set of bunk beds that are in a small alcove. It seems like it would be really, really easy to make that alcove a separate room with a door so that the adults could stay up a little longer without bothering the kids. :-)

Cleanliness (5 stars):

This place is squeaky clean and seemingly ... underused.

Location (5 stars):

Definitely earns 5 stars here. Right on Lake Michigan w/ a decent beach just to the south of the hotel, and downtown Sheboygan and restaurants not far away at all.

Rooms (5 stars):

See comments above regarding value. There is a ton of variety in the room selections and some of them - particularly the aquarium-themed room, are a lot of fun for younger kids.

Food (Dinner, NOT breakfast ... 2 stars):

We planned on eating the first night at one of the hotel's restaurants, since we were driving up from Northern Illinois in the early afternoon and wanted to take it easy in the evening. At the time (December 2011), Blue Harbor was in the process of remodeling their family restaurant and we understood, from what was indicated on their web site, that they would be honoring and serving their family restaurant's menu at their fancier restaurant while the family restaurant was closed.

When we went to the fancier restaurant and sat down for dinner, we found out that this was not the case at all and that they only had the fancy restaurant's menu available.

I guess, at that point, we should have left and complained, and then went elsewhere for dinner, but we begrudgingly stayed because we were tired. Without going into too much detail, the rest of dinner proceeded to downwardly spiral into an embarrassing scene since neither of my kids would eat any of the food, and, well, even a well-behaved 5 and 3 year old can become a complete terror in a fancy restaurant if they are bored, tired, and won't eat.

Morals of the story: 1) To Blue Harbor, PLEASE keep your web site updated AND accurate, 2) The fancy restaurant (I think it's called Latitude?) is not a good place to bring kids, and 3) For my own personal reference, it is occasionally better to complain and leave rather than be miserable and stay!

(Note, again, this review is from a stay that was about 6 months ago, so the above-mentioned family restaurant may now be reopened.)

Water park (4 stars, *very* dependent on age of children):

The water park is smaller, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. My 5 year old could go on most of the rides and in about a year or so will probably be able to go on just about everything and require only a small amount of supervision. My 3 year old was mostly constrained to the smaller slides/pool and playground and if she went anywhere else, needed an adult to help her along. We had both of them wear life jackets as there are pools where the water is 4-5 feet deep that aren't far from the smaller slides/pool.

The "sweet spot" age for the water park, I think, is between 6-12. Kids in that range who can swim should be able to go on everything, have fun, and only require a small amount of loose supervision. Teenagers, I suspect, might get bored with this water park, as they'd probably be interested only in going on the set of big slides and maybe the lazy river. One other point: when we were there, the water park was rather empty. Not sure what the water park would be like with a big crowd. I suspect not too much fun.

Additional information/tips for the readers' benefit (not influencing the ratings):

- In mid-December, Blue Harbor Resort was all but EMPTY. Perhaps that was just a good weekend to go because the place gets really busy a couple of weeks later during the holidays? I don't know. Anyway, it's kind of a shame because it's a neat place and I hope it doesn't "go under". We'll definitely consider going back there.

- There are several restaurants very close by along the riverfront. We went to Highland House, which is just down the street. It'd be a great place to grab a drink or a bite if the weather is nice since they have outdoor seating along the river, but we found their lunch to just be okay. On the other side of the river is an English pub, the Duke of Devon, which I heard is pretty good. We'll probably try there next time.

- I'd like to see what this place is like in the Summer. With the lake view and beach, I assume it'd be even nicer than in Winter.

All in all, if they have resolved the restaurant issues described above, I'd say Blue Harbor Resort would be a darned near perfect place to spend a fun weekend with the family, especially with kids between 6-12. I only hope they get enough business to stay in business.

Room Tip: Lakefront view rooms are nicest but more expensive. Ask yourself, "Do I need the view if I'...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank jason_r_smith
Dousman, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Blue Harbor Resort was a really nice place for a conference. It's nice that the conference center and the rooms are on the opposite side of the building from the waterpark. We didn't have to contend with all the kids and noise during our meetings or at bedtime. The waterpark is great and was a lot of fun even for us adults. I especially loved the views of the lake.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Barrington, IL
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Loved it. Great location, great room away from the Water Park and staff was very professional. We had a 4th floor room facing the lake. Awesome sunrise and nice and cool on the balcony in the afternoon. Hotel is very clean and well kept. Stores, Shops and Restaurants near the hotel were also great. Only complaint was we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: With kids: near the Water Park. Without kids: away from Water Park. Fourth floor is best, vaulted ce...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Was there on a business trip - stayed 2 nights and was completely satisfied, other than it took me a couple of tries to find the place. The property is beautiful, spotless, awesome location on the lake, great attention to detail and the staff was outstanding. (from the manager to the housekeeping staff- amazing). Would stay there again without question.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!