“Subzero outside and Ants inside”
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed two nights in a two bedroom villa. We did not have working heat the first night and then woke up to discover the kids had been sleeping in a sofa bed infested with ants. We had brought sleeping bags and when folding up the bed the sheets got moved to discover old crumbs from a previous guest and the bed covered in ants. We called and they had no other rooms to move us too. We pulled linens off and put outside and housekeeping did not come for an hour. The problem has to be big as to have ants in sub zero weather is unusual to say the least. If this wasn't enough we had the door knob come off of the front door and black gunk come out of jets in master bath. They did end up crediting us one night but feel as though whole stay should have been comped. Too bad as water park was good...

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank CedWIfamily

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We first went to this resort right on Lake Michigan when it first opened and got a great spa/room package. Everything was new and clean! The spa was adequate and had Aveda products but the pedicure was perfunctory and not worth the time or money.

Then recently we returned for a room-only and omg has it changed! The rooms have been used hard and not maintained well at all - moldy bathrooms, shabby carpet, light fixtures not working ... Its prob a great place for the kiddies cuz they dont care, but for a romantic getaway it has all the charm of the Motel 6. The a/c units are right outside the patio doors so you get the noise all night long. Fireplaces are nice tho! The couches have seen better days.

Room Tip: Top floor lakeside has pretty views and away from the a/c units and kids arent running around overhe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teri G
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here exactly one year ago for my step daughter's 10th birthday; was looking for birthday places again and realized I never reviewed this place! We were lucky last year as family gifted us with a loft suite; husband and I stayed in upper bedroom with its own bathroom, and the kids had two queen beds below plus a sleeper couch so plenty of space! A nice microwave and mini fridge helped us keep drinks and snacks so didn't have to spend as much $ when we were hungry. I am a huge bathroom person, so I really appreciated the Kohler fixtures here! We had a nice view of the (frozen) lake as well. We enjoyed the gas fireplace too. The waterpark was nice; standard with tipping bucket, lazy river, overcrowded hot tub, etc! The kids were happy and busy the entire day. Got kind of boring for our 15 year old. A bit overpriced but that is to be expected with this sort of place. We stayed in a villa about 7 years ago with a bunch of relatives, and it was equally clean and super roomy with extra bedrooms and a full kitchen. We'd go back again as this is close to family and fun for all ages!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is our second visit to The Blue Harbor. The first was in July 2013 when stayed in a villa. This time we stayed in one of the hotel rooms (city view, fireplace). While the villa is very nice, we didn’t want to walk through the cold outdoor weather to enjoy the waterpark.

I was really surprised how big the room was. Nice space for two adults and our two children. The room was clean, had a nice mini fridge, and in great shape. We turned the fireplace on, but it got way too hot. Actually had to open the patio door up! We did have a small problem with a slow draining sink. Maintenance took care of the problem quickly after I notified the front desk.
The water park is always fun. It’s a nice size with plenty to do for all ages. The locker room area where the restrooms are located is REALLY cold. But you really appreciate the temperature of the pool water when you jump back in!

We ate all our meals at the Blue Harbor. What a delight. All of our meals were very good and nice variety. My only complaint was drinks. The iced tea and lemonade was not good. I told the server and got a Coke.

The staff really was kind, friendly and efficient. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was friendly, a smile, and helpful. They really made us feel good about being at The Blue Harbor.

We will return for another trip!

Room Tip: I wouldn’t waste money on a Lake Michigan view in the winter (nothing to see anyhow!). Get a City V...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SteveWI0001
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Everything was perfect. I could not be happier with our stay. We stayed in a loft suite facing the lake. The view was beautiful! The room was spacious and clean. The waterpark was impeccable. The staff was very nice and professional. We cannot wait to come back in the summer! I will recommend this hotel / waterpark to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MomInAlsip
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Room was clean and bedding brand new... Stayed in a family suite facing lake so view was amazing.

Beds were comfy and nice tv in wall. Channels all came in clear ( problem at some hotels)

Towels were soft and abundant and complimentary toiletries were great.

Carpet clean and no stains.

Microwave and coffee maker were spotless and perfect.

Lamps and lights were bright and a lot of outlets for charging all of out devices....

Bathroom had dirty grout and floors were not perfect as dust and dirt in corners.

Pool was fun but chilly! Slides and decorations are showing were and tile floors around water attractions were dirty in places and worn.

Big pool had signs if wear as not been updated it seems since opening...

Lazy river has some corrosion near water intake and jets..

Arcade room that was formerly on second floor in water park was moved to entry area (from outside) of water park . Games are ok but very few arcade games and now ticket reception games which for the most part stink.

The cafe and coffee shop now serves sub sandwiches and Starbucks coffee which are both excellent. The subs are freshly made and really tasty and I have to say a great addition to the resort. The staff is amazing and really responsive to requests and we were happy with them.

The place all in all is great but the water park itself needs some TLC as it's the big draw. I think that would complete the place for a great weekend get a way.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Chicagoburgsfamily
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My family stayed at Blue Harbor over the weekend.

1st off, my family LOVES coming to the resort. We visit yearly and if we could swing it financially, we would visit more often!

I made reservations a week ago and the lady that took my reservation was wonderful. I wish I would have remembered her name because she was great.

Upon check-in, we were given a sheet with all the happenings and we headed to the room.

We changed immediately and ran to the park. We were extremely upset to see part of it shut down considering we have a 2 year old and he looks forward to this. It blows my mind that this wasn't verbally told to us. Had we known this, we would not have traveled this weekend. I understand that "things come up" but when I told the front desk my frustrations I was basically told, "sorry." Nothing was done to help fix this bummer in the trip for my 2 year old.

When we returned to the room that night we were greeted by a burnt out light in the bathroom and mold/black gunk around the tub. When I went to run a bath for the boys, there were crusty "things" by the drain. I cleaned the drain and we went on with our night. The mold was bothersome considering the amount of money we spent - I felt like we were at a Motel 6. I know how bathrooms get but I think that it would be in your best interest to clean it or recaulk it. We were in room 210.

When we checked out I was told that I owed $19 for pizza. We turned in a voucher from the movie madness the night before when we ordered. They stated that they will take off the charge but it was just another thing that just didn't seem to go right.

We used the pool on Sunday and when we went to change I was shocked to find no hair dryer to use. I know that not everyone may not want to do their hair like I did but it is winter and it takes a long time to dry hair under the hand dryer.

When I returned to work today I unfortunately could not tell my co-workers that we had a great weekend away. It was just ok and for the price, I think that it should have better. I was bummed - in the past this resort was one we spoke so highly about. I was disappointed that I couldn't say the same thing about this weekend and we won't be quick to try this place again. For the cost of the stay (including the food options - beware the food is very expensive), I would like to feel like I am getting my monies worth and felt gipped this weekend.

I did contact the resort about my concerns a week ago and have not heard a word back which is more discouraging.

Room Tip: The boathouse was great for kids although the day bed was very uncomfortable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
4 mi away
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!