“Great Family Hotel”
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My wife, 2 year old and I are back for our second year. We really like how this place is so family friendly and a nice resort at the same time. The amenities are outstanding. Having access to a water park that is included in the price of the hotel and being on a beach is great. The options of places to eat in the hotel is nice too. The only downfalls are their balconies need to be cleaned as there are an abundance of spider webs and flies caught in the webs. We experienced the same thing on a different balcony we had last year. I just figure for the price of the hotel everything including the balconies should be spotless. But really that is the only complaint. The rooms are great as well as the staff.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I made a reservation for 2 of 4bedroom villas. We arrived there around 2:45pm. One villa was ready but the other one was not, they said. I waited about an hour, but not ready yet. I asked what time is check in. They said its 4pm and it was 3:50pm. I asked them if the room would be ready in 10 mn? They said they don't know... Now I am here 4:05pm. I am not checked in yet.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank cooljhyunsoop
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Since my original review, we have now returned several times and stayed in a variety of rooms for our 1 child (age 6), 1 toddler and 3 adults (mom, dad and grandma) family. We have been in a Loft suite (waterview), a 2 bed/2 bath villa (1st floor), the Boathouse room and a Captain's suite (2 bed/1 bath). Only the Villa's and the Captain's suites have full kitchens, which we really utilize a lot.

We have enjoyed all the rooms and found them quite nice. The lakefront views are lovely, but the porches are so small that we don't usually bother paying for that upgrade anymore. When you are in a Captain's suite on the 2nd floor, you have access to a large common porch right over the restaurant, which was never used by anyone but us and served us just fine. But if you really want coffee on the porch in your PJs, be aware that the Captain's suites don't offer that access. We had the Captain's suite and the Villa for our longer summer stays. Both were lovely in their own way and both were more than large enough for our 5 people. The Captain's suite has easy access to everything in the hotel, including the water park and restaurants. Our particular one had a door right over the lobby and it was quite noisy on Friday and Saturday nights from the spillover from the bar (4 beach weddings took place over the weekend we were there). The Villas are huge, have their own laundry, and have great access to the beach, but are a long walk for anything else at the hotel proper. With young children, we would not choose a Villa in the winter because we would not want to walk outside from the water park every time we came and went. In the summer, it isn't an issue. I would prefer the Villa in the summer for the laundry and easy beach access. In the winter, we will go with the Loft or the Captain's suite, or the Boathouse if we are wanting to save some money.

We will be back and stay in each of these rooms, depending on the price, the season and how long our stay is.

Smores every night in the summer are fantastic (you can bring your own and borrow their sticks or buy their pre-packaged baggies for a dollar or two). A lot of people took advantage of paddle board rentals and a paddle sailboat on the beach and they have added a beach volleyball net that had a lot of use as well. Perfect spot for kite-flying, too. Mini golf and great ice cream parlor across the street.

And all 4 of the beach weddings we saw over the weekend looked lovely - 3 right at the hotel stairs and 1 over by the banquet hall.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a very nice location and could be a great hotel with proper management.

Ownership of property changed in May to a single owner who should take notice.

I spent the weekend at the hotel & waterpark with family for a large function that had issues.

I emailed David Sanderson several times about my issue and each time he had some excuse of why he could not respond but that he'd get back to me soon. After the 3rd exchange of emails I gave up which I suspect is the tactic this GM like to use to make issues vanish.

I realize sometimes there are problems but it's how management decides to handle the problem that sometimes makes all the difference in the world.

Maybe the property owner Gerald Forsythe will take notice and hire a GM who does not ignore customer issues.

Room Tip: Top floor Lake View rooms provide the best view and are well worth it.
2  Thank 52Kevin1999
David S, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

I have sent you a private message in an attempt to resolve this. Given the anonymous nature of Trip Advisor, I can't determine any specifics in regards to your comments. Please understand that if this happened and I didn't respond I apologize. I thought I had a good memory but maybe not. I have no recollection of our conversations except for the 2 that I put in my private message.
Thank you. David Sanderson, General Manager

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed in a Fireplace Loft room with a lake view. It was very nice. Clean. The only complaint about the room was the one shower/tub which was large but the shower head is only about 2 inches from the wall and you have almost press up to the wall to put your head under, and my husband who is 6'2" had to duck. The view was great and we really never heard anyone else so it was nice and quiet. We travelled with our two girls 13 and 16. We all had fun at the waterpark which had the best food. The pool was okay kind of small, and unfortunately it was cool outside so we didn't really get to do much there. The beach was nice. We rented a paddleboard and that was fun other than the lake is still really cold!! Everyone at the resort was friendly although not very knowledgeable. It took us three nights to finally find a restaurant we all enjoyed and would recommend (Cafe Tuscany). Most things are closed on Sun/Mon so beware if you are travelling on those days. My husband and daughter fished off the pier one day and she caught a 12lb. Carp. It was pretty exciting and the other fisherman helped out since they didn't have a net. It was a nice relaxing vacation which is what we were looking for. Although we didn't come home with any souvenirs since the gift shop was too pricey ($60 for a sweatshirt). The Beacon had a really nice breakfast buffet (a bit pricey though).

Room Tip: Pay for a Lake View room!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My Family amd I had a wonderfull vist at the Blue Harbor resort. The whole complex was well maintained and clean. The hotel room was spotless and the matresses wer extremly comfortable.My children loved the water park and I was extremly impressed with the boardwalk and the beautyfull sceenery. I only have positive things to say about our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view You can see the sunrise from the balcony
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Nice place but not much to do when you have an 18 and 20 year old sons thought there would be more water sports . There was a water park but that's a lot of screaming little ones. There was a pool but once again just for little ones very small only 4 foot there should be a larger pol for adults.
There suites were outdated and not very clean front of cupboards were dirty,celing fans were dirty, ran out off hot water when we tried to all shower.
We did charter a boat for fishing Wolf Pack greatest! That was the best part of the three days we were there a lot of the little stores and restaurants were closed there reLy isn't much to do in Shayboygan . It's a real big place if all you want is a waterpark

Room Tip: Be close to the pool
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gloria S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
4 mi away
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!