“French fare in a small town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Margaux - CLOSED

Margaux
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“French fare in a small town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Margaux had a wonderful romantic atmosphere. Thursday was tapas night, and so small dishes were priced at a lower rate. The food was delicious, but be aware thet these delicious dishes will eat at your pocketbook. It was one of the more expensive restuaruants in Sheboygan but was definitely worth it.

Visited December 2012

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Tapas Thursday was good, wished there was the regular menu too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife and I made reservations for a Thursday, which happens to be tapas night. We erroneously assumed the dinner menu would be available as well. In the end, we left full and satisfied. I couldn't help thinking, however, that I needed a bit more- perhaps a structured and thought-out dinner.

We ended up ordering all but one dish off of the tapas menu. Surprisingly, we enjoyed the macaroni & cheese the most. It was a bit on the oily side, but the flavor was great. I enjoyed the mixed salads with greens but for the price I would not order it again. It lasted maybe six fork-fulls between the two of us and had three tiny (but extremely flavorful) pieces of prosciutto. Of course, these items may not be available for your visit as the tapas menu changes every week.

Overall, it was peaceful in the restaurant, the food was tasty, and the prices within reach for most middle-class (like us) folk. Service was good-not the best but certainly on-par with much pricier restaurants we've been to. Our server was knowledgeable, courteous, and prompt. My advice: if you're looking forward to a traditional dinner, don't go on Thursday tapas night. If you want to sample a bit of everything, then by all means check it out. I look forward to going back on a non-tapas-only night as the menu looks appetizing. The quality of food I saw and tasted certainly merits a second look.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tapas Thursday, good quality too greasy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

The decor is beautiful giving you the impression it is fine dining but we were told no dress code, come as you are. We went for Tapas Thursday. Every Thursday the menu changes and small plates are offered but not the regular menu. Each plate ranged from an average of $6-$12. My favorite, mixed greens salad with honey balsamic vinaigrette, and roasted almonds.Potato and roasted pork was a soup and delicious! Truffle Pommes Frites, tasty but greasy. It has parmesan, black pepper bacon, white truffle oil. Beef Bourguignon, roasted garlic mashed potato, great taste, greasy. I asked what kind of oil and the server thought it was olive oil, I'm not so sure since several items stated white truffle oil. After researching I found that a lot of truffle oils are olive oil with chemical additives that give the aroma of the truffle. That was their downfall for me at least on the Tapas menu. I was more impressed with the regular menu. If you like simple food this is not the place for you, Most of us loved the variety and uniqueness of each dish.

Gurnee, Illinois
“Kudos to the chef!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I went to Margaux last evening, a Tuesday night after a holiday. Being retired, we find ourselves eating dinner earlier and earlier. So we walked in 15 min. after they opened - and weren't the first customers. By the time we left, most tables (downstairs) were filled. The food was inventive and excellent. We shared a couple of appetizers: a calamari/coleslaw/pico de gallo fusion plate was memorable as were the pommes frites with bacon crumbled cheese and truffle oil, which we nibbled all through the meal. For our entree we had seared scallops which were excellent. The wines by the glass that we had were also exceptional: a Charles Smith Pinot Gris from Washington state and a Grenache/Syrah blend from the Rhone valley. And for dessert we had the Angel Food Cake which came with fresh fruit and homemade ice cream, another winner. The service was attentive. A wonderful evening!

“Good Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

A good alternative in Sheboygan. We started the evening with two very good Brandy Manhattan's (a must in Wisconsin), followed by a delicious , creamy and savory mushroom and potato soup. We both love trout and Margaux's selection was flavorful served over wild rice with savory fresh vegetables. During dinner we had a fine selection of a glass of Pinot Grigoio. Total cost including beverages (excluding gratuity) was $76.

• Visited August 2012