“So sad; not what it used to be...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Kristofer's - CLOSED

The Inn at Kristofer's
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: View, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Delafield, Wisconsin
“So sad; not what it used to be...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The only reason I didn't give it a "terrible" is that the food was good. It is so sad to see a restaurant that my wife and I have been going to for seventeen years decline. The previous owners/chef were amazing. Not only was the food world-class, the service and atmosphere were spot on. On our last visit (today!) we observed only two staff members running the front and waiting all the tables. Only two people! The phone rang a number of times and went unanswered. Tables waited for service. Our waitress was absent minded. Our water glasses were never refilled the whole time. People came in and stood waiting to be greeted. At first I was upset with our server, but in the end, I just felt sorry for her.

In the past, The Inn was much more "family friendly;" not so any more. When we asked for lemonade for our nine-year-old son, they said they didn't have any. When we asked for milk, they said they didn't have any. How can a restaurant not have milk . . . anywhere?? As we were waiting for our food, a family of six came in. There were a mother, father, two teens, a ten-year-old, and a five-year-old. After looking at the menu and asking about options for kids, they just got up and left. At the prices here that could have easily been a $300 - $400 check missed out on just because they were no options! In prior years we brought our son with us and they had offered to make a grilled cheese, grilled ham and cheese, chicken tenders, etc. This time, no such offers. Our waitress looked at us as if we were from another planet when we asked. We were just there one year before! And by the way, those kids' options they used to make were amazing and as up-scale as any of their other dishes.

As I said, the food was very good. It was of high quality and cooked well. Still, not as good as the previous chef/owner. Glaringly missing was her artistry of plate presentation. I used to get a filet that looked so beautiful it was almost a shame to cut into it. Now the plating is pedestrian, at best. The only saving grace, and I mean ONLY, is that the food was delicious. I wish that was enough. For the first time in forever, we will probably not return. So sad.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Eric W

Red Wing, Minnesota
“Extremely poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We experienced very slow service. We were seated promptly however we did not see out waiter for over 20 minutes and were not given water or bread. The couple seated after us walked out as they were also waiting a long time for service. After holding out hope (45 minutes) the waiter took our order. About 10 minutes after the order being taken he comes up to our table to tell us one of the menu items we ordered was no longer available. At that time we decided to move to another highend dining establishment. We wont be back as there are other places with a great view and menu in the Door.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Garrison2014
Wisconsin
“Good food, spotty service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We dined at Kristopher's in late June as part of a weekend in Door County. (We had eaten the night before at The Waterfront, also in Sister Bay, which I would recommend more highly.) The food was very good (we both had sliced flat iron steak) but a few lapses need to be mentioned.

First, a restaurant with a great view (facing the Sister Bay marina and the sunset) ought to make sure the air conditioning works on a warm summer weekend. It was uncomfortably warm, and a couple of ceiling fans might have helped. Second, the warm air seemed to extend to the wine service...I had to send back my glass of red wine because it tasted "hot" (the second glass wasn't much better). Don't know if the issue was with the glassware or the wine storage. Finally, our server seemed inexperienced and slow at times, compared to other diners.

Again, no complaints on the food but one of the higher-end restaurants in Door County needs to be a lot more polished on the small details to earn a rave.

• Visited June 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“51st Birthday for Ms. High Maintenance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Wonderful end to a perfect day in Door County ( actually husband is throwing a few casts with his fishing pole off the pier in front of restaurant amidst the afterglow of sunset.). Ok.. First ever review. I called the restaurant 4 times prior to coming as I am a vegetarian and gluten free. We own a restaurant in Milwaukee ( very high expectations) and my man is a foodie. We golfed through lunch so we were hungry for our 7.30 dinner reservation. We arrived and I was told the Chef had prepared something special for me ( incredible ... It was...). My husband ordered the special.. Beautiful scallops--- done creatively and perfectly . Our server Kristine was outstanding. Beautiful sunset lovely music and we finished dinner w their Mile high cheesecake. Oh.. Did I mention the beet salad, bread (my husband ordered another loaf) and specialty oil. Bon appetit to all who read this!!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Tamara H
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Memorial Day Weekend 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have been here many times in the past and wanted to treat my veteran son to something special. Kristopher's delivered. The food and wine were superb as always and the attentive wait staff were professional and took extra care of us, even though they were just beginning their season. Unfortunately restaurants can not give breath test for other patrons. Obnoxious, intoxicated people from Chicago were next to us giving their waitress such a hard time. Kristopher's is a sophisticated, fine dining restaurant and hire and train young people who showed good manners, gracious behavior and professional attitude even under stress. We in America need to be a little more tolerant and help our young people as they learn to work hard, serve well and do their best. Kristopher's is a highly recommended restaurant not a roadside bar!

• Visited May 2014