“Excellent little hotel in a great location”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sister Bay
Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Sister Bay
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I know if you're looking at lodging in the Door County area, you are probably overwhelmed at the choices. There are SO MANY small little places to stay, and the online information about them is confusing and/or limited. We only stayed at this place, but let me tell you why I chose it and how it turned out.

First, we did not plan way ahead for this stay, so some of the "first run" hotels everyone mentions were booked. So, we were looking for a nice place to stay that was available the first week of August - high season - when we'd be there.

When I started looking at the rooms in the hotels in this area, the thing that struck me the most was how dated most of them looked - old flowered bedspreads, pastel curtains, etc. While we were there mainly to see the scenery OUTSIDE the hotel, the look of the hotel rooms online at most places was sort of depressing to me!

When I happened upon this place, it seemed so nice in comparison. Yes, it's a little "dainty" looking with the crocheted bed covers, etc, but it wasn't so dated. And the photos looked clean and neat. And, the price was so much better than some of the places that received higher ratings and looked so dated. So, I called them to see what was available. We did not "splurge" (still cheaper than most) for a room with a full view and porch - we went with a "partial view" room because we really just wanted a clean place to sleep.

Our room was on the second floor (no elevator, if that's important to you - didn't bother us) and did indeed have a "partial view" of the bay. It had a very comfortable queen size bed as well as a couch/sitting area. There was also an extra sink/counter area with a refrigerator, and the bathroom. The floors were hardwood, which we liked - I think it added to the place looking so clean and not dated. We only paid $99 for this room during the high season in Door County!

The lady at the desk was very nice and checked us in/out quickly. There were several places on the property where you could sit outdoors in lawn/lounge furniture and enjoy the weather. And, they did even offer a small breakfast of donuts/pastries and coffee/juice. There are also onsite laundry facilities for guests.

The only downside was there was no Internet access. I think they could add this pretty inexpensively and it would be a nice addition for their guests. When I asked about it though, the front desk clerk told me to drive down to Mill Street and take a left, and park in the library parking lot. Sure enough, we did this and were able to access the library Wi-Fi for a few minutes no problem to check what we needed online. So, she got us what we needed even without being able to provide it herself.

Overall, I would highly recommend this little lodge. It was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Aecintx

Reviewed 23 May 2008

The view of the bay is a wonderful sight to wake up to, sipping coffee or tea in the gazebo as the sun rises (the complimentary bakery is pretty good too!).
I vacationed at Liberty Park often with my family when I was a little girl, and now as an adult I find it just as charming. It is certainly a place for singles or families. The premises are spotless, the hostess was friendly and so helpful with suggestions on places to go and fun things to see in the county. On a rainy day there are games, puzzles, reading materials and a warm fire crackling in the lobby fireplace where guests and families and can gather to enjoy each others company if they wish.
I will certainly find my way back there again...it is a marvelous place to make a memory.
Loved it, loved it, loved it!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pixieland
Reviewed 12 September 2007

We had a wonderful relaxing time at this lodge. The firplace room is so homey. There are puzzles and books and games. The breakfast is just enough coffee, tea, juice and donuts .The remodled rooms are beautifully decorated. The manager is so friendly and accomadating. I haven't been able to get a vacation for a few years but when I can again Liberty Park will be my vacation spot......

Stayed: October 2003
3  Thank WI-Rhoda
Reviewed 21 August 2007

We have vacationed at the lodge nearly every year for the past 14 years. We have taken our children for family vacations and also taken romantic getaways for my husband and myself. Liberty Park has recently been nicely restored with a warm and traditionally 'old Door County' atmosphere. The new rooms are lovely! The lodge has always served us a nice continental breakfast with several kinds of juice, coffee and tea, doughnuts or other pastries, or bagels. The hostess/manager is wonderful, helpful and accommodating, able to guide us to a new Door County restaurant with a great menu, a fun activity, or a scenic hiking trail. The crackling fire in the lobby at night is cozy and a fine place to relax, read a book, do puzzles, play a board game, or just chat with family and friends. I would highly recommend Liberty Park for a vacation getaway. Just wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank ShirleyinWisconsin
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Wow, how have the mighty fallen. My husband and I used to love this old historic Lodge in the late 80s and early 90s when we visited, initially while on our honeymoon. It had a *beautiful* old room on the ground level, originally a ballroom; came replete with a knitting circle of ladies doing their knitting, in one visit. You could move your chairs around as you wished, play board games, and simply enjoy the smell of carefully waxed vintage floors. The rooms were vintage too and utterly charming, full of the character only truly historic properties have. The whole place had an aura of a forgotten time, and when visiting, we felt completely at home, ensconsed in the atmosphere of a by-gone age. Once we stayed in one of their quaint cottages on the lakeshore: honestly, you couldn't have invented this place, it was so perfect.
Our experience this year: what a shocker. The whole place has been RENOVATED within an inch of its life, in what should have been called a 'gut renovation'. Almost nothing remains of its original character; the ground level destroyed in a parcelling-out that seems intent only on enhancing revenue; balconies and fake gazebos added where they ought not to be; all of the original clapboarding removed and replaced; and all of the original windows removed, in favor of Pella no doubt-- talk about destroying the soul of a building!! Every inch has been altered, and NOT for the better. Can I get another witness to this? Does anyone remember Liberty Lodge before it was ruined??
The service was perfunctory, the breakfast risible in its meagre offerings. I've learned that the owner, not content with taking a beautiful historic property and reducing it to a footnote in Door County history, has sold all of the property across the Hwy to condo developers. So much for those lovely old cottages!
There's not justice in the world, esp. when vulgarians get a hold of these beautiful old places. My husband and I left early, sick to our stomach. It's really a tragedy, what this owner has done to this historic Inn. The sign ought to read: Historic Once, but No More.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Holmes7
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Very neat and charming historic hotel. It is far away from chain hotels style. Rooms are well designed representing old Door County style.
Disadvantage - a little to close to the highway.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank doordoor
Reviewed 13 November 2006

A beautiful and well maintained property. The room was large, light and airy with beautiful wood floors and nice bedding. The setting could not be lovelier or more serene. For a quiet and relaxing visit, this Lodge could not be beaten.

The continental breakfast isn't very extensive but more like we used to get several years ago. You can definitely eat enough to hold you over until lunch.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. I would love to return.

Wish I could post pictures so that I could share some nice ones. Maybe I'll learn someday.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
#3 of 17 in Sister Bay
Homestead Suites
Homestead Suites
#3 of 10 in Fish Creek

Been to Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay? Share your experiences!