“Quiet Comfort”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Sister Bay
Fort Wayne
“Quiet Comfort”
Reviewed 31 July 2007

My husband and I stayed one night at the Coachlite Inn on Memorial Day Weekend of this year. We were on a road trip going up Lake Michigan, across the upper Peninsula and down around the Michigan side. We only had one night to stay in Sister Bay. I found the Coachlite Inn on the internet and it sounded charming. The room was clean and comfortable, the area quiet and the landscaping beautiful. The owners were very helpful and gave us information about the area. The town itself was lovely and if we are able to go back that way, would have no hesitation about staying there again.

• Liked — Quiet. It was a little away from all the other lodging. Maybe a few blocks
  • Disliked — Maybe a little more selection for breakfast, but actually, I found everything to be great.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fortwaynetraveler711

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mi
Reviewed 7 July 2007

It just wasn't what I expected . Very close to the highway ( noisy)
Desk clerk didn't seem interested in our needs .
Actually reccomended a dinner boat cruise that was one of the worst experiances of my life.
I guess they scratch each others back "up there"

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed May 2007
6 Thank WendyMi
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 December 2006

We have stayed in afew different rooms at this Inn. All were very clean and comfortable. The Mini suite is our favorite, everything a couple needs for a great stay, fireplace stove and double whirlpool tub. Even better than the rooms is outdoor grounds with flower gardens, lounge chairs and the hot tub. A Great place to stay in Door County at a fair price.

• Liked — Clean & Comfortable
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank NurseN
Milwakee, WI
Reviewed 22 September 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last month and we enjoyed it. The room was pleasantly decorated. The grounds were very well kept. The lady, Nora, at check in was very nice and gave us a lot of information when we checked in. It was our first time in the area and we were not sure what to do. We had no complaints about the place.

• Liked — Quality for price
  • Tips/Secrets — Recommended
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Turbs1414
Reviewed 23 July 2006

My husband and I stayed at The Coachlite Inn in Sister Bay, WI from July 12-16, 2006. I used Trip Advisor to research the hotel before I booked and along with the hotel’s website, the place sounded delightful. I spoke with the owner, John, twice; once to obtain information about their suites and a week later to book. Both times he told me that he had one suite left. I booked a queen suite based on the website and at no time did the owner tell me that it was not a divided suite because if he had, I would not have booked. When I arrived and saw the suite I wanted to cry. It was not only a single room, but a small single room. In no way was this a “suite.” It was so small there was not even room for a closet; there were 4 hooks behind the entry door to accommodate hanging clothes. When I went to the front desk to speak with John, I was told by his wife, Nora, that he wasn’t in town and that when she rents that particular room, she lets people know that it is a single room. She made no effort to reduce the price. When I asked for an iron and ironing board because there wasn’t one in the room, she said that was because they wanted to put one in the room, but that the room was so small they didn’t know where to put it! It did have the advertised 2-person tub and fireplace (a stove really), but the room was too tiny to be enjoyable if one is expecting a suite.

I’d like to add one other note and that is about the hotel’s security. It is really lax. There is no deadbolt, no chain, and no peephole. This would be bad enough, but when I left to go out one morning, I had to return a few minutes later because I forgot something. When I approached the room, the door was wide open and the attendant was in the bathroom folding towels with his back to the door. I walked in, retrieved the item I forgot, and left, all without the attendant even noticing that I was there. If I had been up to something devious, I could have taken anything from the room that I fancied. Why would the door be left open for the world to observe what is inside and/or take it?

All in all, the place was not up to what it advertised. The owners did leave me a $3 bottle of wine, three bite-sized chocolates, and a bag of microwave popcorn with a note to “enjoy my last night” because they couldn’t give me the “larger” suite. I guess that they thought this was payment for a bait and switch scheme!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tiny
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't book here unless you get everything promised in writing!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank TravelAdvisor99
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 November 2005

Thinking about my stay in this place in summer makes me fell like I wanna come back and enjoy it again and again....Hosts did everything to make my stay pleasant, helped me with choosing restaurants, recommended places to see in Door County and have to say, I was never dissapointed. I came for vacation from Poland and stopped to the Coachlite, I was lucky to meet people like John and Nora. Am very grateful for their hospitality. In addition to this everything their rates are great. While staying there I felt like am at home, going on my yard, clean and taken care of place....Would deffinetly come back!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2005

This is the perfect place for a quiet weekend getaway. The owners treated us like family and the atmosphere was very peaceful. I loved the way the the room was decorated and the housekeepers kept it very clean. Also, the landscaping around the inn is beautiful. I would highly recommend The Coachlite Inn!

• Stayed October 2005
#2 of 10 in Fish Creek
Sister Bay Inn
Sister Bay Inn
#7 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Coachlite Inn of Sister Bay? Share your experiences!