“Winter relaxation time!”
Review of Open Hearth Lodge

Open Hearth Lodge
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Sister Bay
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This little hotel is fabulous especially when you consider the price for a room in Door County. Everything was super clean. The pool and hot tub area did not smell of chemicals---a real plus to me! Breakfast included hard-boiled eggs, again, more than I had expected. And to top it off, no matter what staff member we talked to, all were friendly, going over and beyond to answer any questions and meet our needs. :)
For anyone coming to DC and wanting a relaxing time for a great price, I highly recommend this little hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Liz B

Reviewed 8 February 2014

John and Nora run a 1st class Lodge/hotel. I've traveled extensively in my 68 yrs. and I've seldom found people/owners with more friendly, but professional style. Immaculate room and guest facilities. The whirlpool was a special delight for me--and was absolutely sparkling clean. Having done bacteriology work in my career, I am very careful about pools etc. The entire pool/whirlpool area, like the rooms is immaculate. The friendly attitude of both of these very fine people was heart warming for me--a recent widower. I now count them as friends! Please folks, do yourself a favor and stay with these wonderful people at their beautiful Inn!!!!

Room Tip: Cannot miss with any room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Carter D
Reviewed 1 January 2014

For the price, it was much nicer than we expected. Looking for a bed for the night but now wish we had more time to enjoy pool and hot tub. Fireplace/sitting area in lobby cozy. Not much for breakfast other than usual simple things but one should not expect much for continental breakfast.

Bed was VERY comfortable and room had a fridge which was handy. Supplied soap was low end quality so I wish I had brought my own. Minor complaint considering how nice room was for the price. Decor was very, very nice also.

We stayed here off season (winter) and do hope to return someday.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Go_GreenBay
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We rented a 2 bedroom suite which was very reasonably priced. The beds were comfortable and the lodge was quiet. There was a bus group also staying at the lodge while we were there and it never got loud or seemed overcrowded. Our main concern (which is our fault not the lodges) is that we were not aware that the 2 bedroom suite was on the second floor and there is no elevator. I have mobility issues which make climbing the stairs a little rough at times. As I stated however this was out own error in not checking before booking. Breakfast was very basic but ok. Based on the price and the rooms we had, our group would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Franahan
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had stayed here once before and had a nice room on second floor and were very pleased with our stay. This stay we were on first floor and what a difference in rooms. The one on first floor was dingy and spartan. The bathroom was so small that you had to turn sideways to shut the door. The breakfast was a joke. At 9 am in the morning they were out of some the few things offered and there is not much offered. We had to go ask if there was any orange juice, there was only a few slices of wheat bread although you could tell by crumbs that there had been some other choices. At first I thought that we may be much later to breakfast than the other guests but people kept coming. There reaction seemed to reflect ours.... The last time we were here there was warm apple cider at night...nothing now. We stayed two nights and even though the bed was made and towels replaced I know the room was not vacuumed. As I bent to plug in a recharger when we arrived I noticed a plastic bag under the bed. Overall I think the place is clean but it left me with an uneasy feeling. So, not so great the second stay. Will go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank allez2008
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We got a 2 queen room suite and it was very reasonable. The room was nice and clean. There is an indoor pool and hot tub and the place is situated in a nice countryside setting. There is a nice patio and picnic area and you are within 5 minutes of downtown Sister Bay. They have a nice little breakfast bar area with coffee and games & books. This was ideal for our girls weekend. The hosts are very welcoming. I would stay again!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Open Hearth as we were touring around the lakes. The room was comfortable and clean and the breakfast was great to get the day going (muffins, cereal, doughnuts etc). What really made the place great was the warmth and friendliness of the owners. I'd definitely recommend you stay here if you are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013
#3 of 8 in Ephraim
Edgewater Resort
Edgewater Resort
#2 of 8 in Ephraim

Been to Open Hearth Lodge? Share your experiences!