“Lovely mix of hotel and B&B”
Review of Open Hearth Lodge

Open Hearth Lodge
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Sister Bay
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Lovely mix of hotel and B&B”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We came for a weekend getaway at the end of April - right before Door County's rush season. It was easy to get the room we wanted, for the less expensive off season rate. Everything was lovely. Very clean, staff was very friendly, accommodations were lovely. There is a pool and hot tub that we ran out of time before we could enjoy, but looked very inviting. There's a light continental breakfast in the morning, which was honestly one of the selling points when I was comparing hotels before I booked this one.

The room we booked has a king sized bed, a jacuzzi tub, a tv with cable and a DVD player, and a small fireplace. It was perfect. Everything worked, everything was clean, housekeeping was attentive. There are snacks and drinks available in the lobby if needed. We will definitely come back again, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedHeadedGirl26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I generally only write reviews for one of two reasons, a really bad experience or a really great experience. I was blown away by the Open Hearth Lodge in Sister Bay, WI. The website looked good and the prices were fantastic, so we decided to stay here for the weekend. The room was modern, super clean, comfortable, and had everything we needed for the weekend stay. The staff and owners were extremely kind and helpful, we felt like friends, not just guests. Our daughter loved the pool area and they even had some pool toys for kids. Overall, this was the best experience we've ever had away from home, we will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jim Q
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Was there this past weekend for a family weekend getaway and had an awesome time! The hosts John and Nora were very welcoming along with their staff. All of our families rooms were ready to go when we arrived and the hot tub in our room was very relaxing! We also loved relaxing in front of the fireplace with our wine after a long day of shopping and the fresh complimentary breakfast and hot coffee every morning! I would highly recommend staying at the Open Hearth Lodge anytime of the year. Can't wait to go back later this summer!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This little hotel is fabulous especially when you consider the price for a room in Door County. Everything was super clean. The pool and hot tub area did not smell of chemicals---a real plus to me! Breakfast included hard-boiled eggs, again, more than I had expected. And to top it off, no matter what staff member we talked to, all were friendly, going over and beyond to answer any questions and meet our needs. :)
For anyone coming to DC and wanting a relaxing time for a great price, I highly recommend this little hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Liz B
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 February 2014

John and Nora run a 1st class Lodge/hotel. I've traveled extensively in my 68 yrs. and I've seldom found people/owners with more friendly, but professional style. Immaculate room and guest facilities. The whirlpool was a special delight for me--and was absolutely sparkling clean. Having done bacteriology work in my career, I am very careful about pools etc. The entire pool/whirlpool area, like the rooms is immaculate. The friendly attitude of both of these very fine people was heart warming for me--a recent widower. I now count them as friends! Please folks, do yourself a favor and stay with these wonderful people at their beautiful Inn!!!!

Room Tip: Cannot miss with any room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Carter D
Green Bay
Reviewed 1 January 2014

For the price, it was much nicer than we expected. Looking for a bed for the night but now wish we had more time to enjoy pool and hot tub. Fireplace/sitting area in lobby cozy. Not much for breakfast other than usual simple things but one should not expect much for continental breakfast.

Bed was VERY comfortable and room had a fridge which was handy. Supplied soap was low end quality so I wish I had brought my own. Minor complaint considering how nice room was for the price. Decor was very, very nice also.

We stayed here off season (winter) and do hope to return someday.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Go_GreenBay
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We rented a 2 bedroom suite which was very reasonably priced. The beds were comfortable and the lodge was quiet. There was a bus group also staying at the lodge while we were there and it never got loud or seemed overcrowded. Our main concern (which is our fault not the lodges) is that we were not aware that the 2 bedroom suite was on the second floor and there is no elevator. I have mobility issues which make climbing the stairs a little rough at times. As I stated however this was out own error in not checking before booking. Breakfast was very basic but ok. Based on the price and the rooms we had, our group would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
#12 of 17 in Sister Bay
The Ashbrooke
The Ashbrooke
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Open Hearth Lodge? Share your experiences!