“You don't have to eat here but you do have to come see the goats”

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik
Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Door County, Wisconsin's most well-known restaurant, established in 1949. From May through October, look for the live goats on the roof, on top of an authentic Swedish log building. Inside, there's a traditional Swedish atmosphere and Scandinavian food specialties, all served by waitresses in dirndls. After dining, visit Al Johnson's Butik, featuring a beautiful selection of Scandinavian products, including clogs, Swedish linens, books, clothing, jewelry, decorative items, books and housewares. Open May - October, 6 AM - 8 PM, And November - April, 7 AM - 3 PM.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The food was okay. The atmosphere is great. Cool place inside and out. Good service. Our waitress was very nice. We came for breakfast at 9:30, they said 30-40 minute wait, and it was about 20 minutes. The lingonberry iced tea is great. I had the Swedish pancakes with meatballs. I would get the pancakes again but the meatballs are just meh. I thought about getting the traditional cold meat plate thing with pickled fish and veggies and cold cuts but the table next to us tried to order it and apparently the chef who knows how to arrange pre-made food on a tray was not in yet... We'll that and other things on the lunch/dinner menu looked good and I would go back and try if we ever go back to door county

Definite must see spot and a nice boutique with so e cool stuff. We got some Viking helmets for some kids (childish adult size available)

1  Thank GuidoTheKilerPimp
There are newer reviews for Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Swedish pancakes special and American fries are a must have every time I'm in Door co. The goats on the roof are great fun for the kids...and adults too.

1  Thank tripsrfu
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were there during off season, so it was too cold and snowy to have the goats on the roof, but we'll definitely be back to see that sometime! Both had the Swedish Meatballs Dinner, which was very good, though I wasn't sure that the meatballs were in fact home made, they seemed to be frozen. They were fine, just seemed "too perfectly formed" to be homemade. The sauce and potatoes though were awesome, and the veggies were really good too! I had the beet salad which I really liked and my wife had the chicken noodle soup which was clearly home made and really tasty as well! Absolutely would return there!

1  Thank Jim F
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We love to eat out and try new places so if you want great food then Al Johnson's is the place to eat. I had the best tasting pork chop I have ever had at Al's. And believe me I am a pork chop expert. This restaurant is a great experience for kids and adults alike.

1  Thank Lewis T
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I insisted we go here for breakfast, I mean there are goats and Swedish pancakes. How can you not. We had to wait FOREVER. Wecould have seen a lot more of Door County in that time, and still visited the cute goats and gift shop. The food was fine, the staff wonderful for all the people they were serving. Ifyou still want to go just resolv eyourself to slowing down and getting comfortable. I would not do it twice.