“Cheese and more”

Bass Lake Cheese Factory
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Somerset
Cuisines: American
Description: Don't know if this is a restaurant or an attraction, but I know this is a very cool place. Nothing much happening in the cheese making room when we were there, but great cheese and interesting wine served deli-style.
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I went to the Bass Lake Cheese Factory before Christmas to get some different cheeses for the holiday's. The selection there was amazing! I ended up buying 8 different cheeses and liked them all. I also bought a cheddar almond spread that was a hit. If your liking for unique cheeses this is your place.

1  Thank David H

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Locals and visitors stop in to stock up on the variety of cheeses that Scott Erickson, a master at the craft, creates. If your lucky, you'll arrive when Scott is in the processing room and you can view him busy at his craft! Read more about Scott and visit their website -- if you can't make it to Somerset, place an order online and have some awesome, fresh cheese shipped to your doorstep! A great gift idea too, for those hard to buy for relatives and friends!

Article on Scott: http://www.newrichmond-news.com/content/scott-erickson-continues-master-cheese
Website: http://www.blcheese.com/

1  Thank Kim A
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This is the best place to buy cheese of any kind. You will find the very best selection and samples are available upon request. Also have a selection on wines, gifts, honey and jams.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I grew up only a few miles from the Bass Lake Cheese Factory and used to ride my horse there as a child to buy an occasional treat. Fast forward thirty years... I'm back in the neighborhood and now I ride my bike there for an occasional treat!

The Bass Lake Cheese Factory is a wonderful little piece of Americana right in Wisconsin. They craft their own cheese and have a large observation window where you can watch them at work. A long time ago they used to offer tours inside the factory and as a girl scout I was able to take such a tour. Sadly, they are no longer able to offer tours but it's still fun to view the cheesemaking through the window.

I've never tried their sandwiches but I can vouch that their cheese is delicious. They've got delicious cheese curds, many tasty cheddars (my favorite is their aged cheddar) and the best soft-serve ice cream I've ever tasted. We make it a point to stop in about once a week in the summer for a tasty twist cone.

Whether you live in the neighborhood or just want to take a beautiful drive from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, the Bass Lake Cheese Factory is a gem with tasty cheese and ice cream and worth a visit!

1  Thank 1_Can_Do_Mom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This small cheese factory is an amazing example of Wisconsin's history. You can walk around and watch them make cheese first hand. The fresh cheese is delicious. They stay true to the culture and support the Packers. You won't find any better out of the way stop.