“Lovely home, pleasant stay”

Franklin Victorian Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Sparta B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We were there for a mid week getaway before the peak season, so it was quiet. Room was clean and comfortable and had all the amenities that we could need: plenty of towels, robe, hairdryer, etc. Outside of the room is a buffet stocked with fixings for hot drinks as well as cold drinks in a little fridge. You are encouraged to help yourself. A carafe of coffee showed up at 7:30 every morning, which was great. A jar of home make cookies for snacks was there during the day too. Lots of magazines were available in the living room and lots of printed material showcasing various area activities were in the front entry for your information. The house is beautiful, charming. I enjoyed lounging in the parlor in the evening with my ipad, a magazine, a board game, and briefly, the TV, to catch my favorite show. I believe it is the only TV in the house, which is all well and good when visiting B&Bs. Breakfasts were generous. We enjoyed what was offered. I don't think there are alternatives if you have a fussy eater with you, but I am sure you could ask. Jennifer was very nice and attentive.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the smallest bath. It was adequate for us, but definitely one person at...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Not only is this a beautiful B&B, but Jennifer and Steve are the "hostess wit the mostest." They have all the special amenities that make for a great B&B stay.
I can't say enough about the wonderful breakfast we were served. We were there for 3 nights and each breakfast was different but equally delicious. Jennifer is a fabulous cook.
Most of the other guests were bikers, since Sparta is the biking center of Wisconisn. We were there to enjoy the area on our first trip into Wisconsin. We always pick B&B's to stay in while traveling or vacationing. Some are better than others. This is one of the best.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

A clean quiet B&B. Rooms are thoughtfully appointed... Jennifer has thought of all the amenities. Location is great. It's within a mile of the Elroy Sparta and La Crosse bike trails. The inn has a bike barn to securely store bikes over night. . We purchased our trail passes and the shuttle through the inn. This worked out perfectly. After a delicious breakfast, Jennifer shuttled us to Elroy and we were ready to ride. We would definitely stay here again when we ride the trails.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Very clean. Owner went out of her way to take care of whatever we needed. Good breakfast. Located close to bike trails. Walking distance to good restaurants. Safe storage provided for bikes. Close enough to Lacrosse for more fine dining and shopping. One of the nicer B&B's we've stayed at!

Room Tip: Franklin suite was the best room.
3  Thank jeff z
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed last year also. Beautiful Victorian home. Hosts have anticipated every possible need. Close proximity to bike trails. Very nice breakfast at one sitting (8:30am). Short walk to small downtown area with good restaurants. They also sell the most comfortable bedding (sheets).

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Hinsdalejoe
Reviewed 27 September 2013

BEAUTIFUL HISTORIC HOME IN A LOVELY COMMUNITY. Our room was a great space.  Very clean.  Quality bed and bath linens.  Comfy bed. Nice plush feather pillows. All the amenities to make for a pleasant stay. Lots of info on the area. Delicious breakfast of porridge with fruit, breakfast pie, sausage, melon, cranberry scone, juice and coffee. Delightful hostess and stimulating conversation with fellow guests. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit.  Highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KPMcK
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I recently decided to do an item on my "Bucket List:" Ride the Elroy-Sparta Bike Trail. My husband was on a fishing trip and I figured I'd head to Wisconsin and see how much of the trail I could handle in one day. The weather conditions were perfect and after 5 hours and 13 minutes I had completed 67 miles! At this point I could have easily driven home, but decided to treat myself and investigate a B & B. What a wonderful decision. The Franklin Victorian B and B is one of the best stays I have had at an inn. Jennifer was the perfect hostess. I was the only guest that evening and I was treated like royalty. I can't tell you how happy I was to discover that the room I had chosen, "The Country" not only had a bathtub (a long soak was exactly what I wanted), but I was greeted with a smiling rubber ducky within the tub. Jennifer has thought of everything in this well-appointed inn. I even wonder how she knew to include my favorite chocolate treat as a good night offering. The breakfast was beautiful in presentation and delicious. Jennifer even shared a few "tricks of the trade" with me, but I am sworn to secrecy. Definitely plan on staying here if you visit lovely Sparta or embark on the Elroy-Sparta trail!

Room Tip: I loved my Country room, but I am sure that all of the Inn's rooms are well-appointed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo