“Overpriced for what you get”

Justin Trails Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Sparta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed overnight in the little house on the prairie cabin. I agree with others that it is overpriced for the value. We paid $225 for one night and was asked to pay $5 to walk on the trails. Needed updates I would suggest are glass wine glasses instead of plastic. Extra towels. New sheets and replace the tv. We weren't able to lock our door from the inside (probably due to the humidity). It was a quiet stay, which we enjoyed, but would not return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FrankieBran
DJustin, Owner at Justin Trails Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you Lottie for responding to my email and giving me constructive comments to make changes. I am working to correct the deficiencies in my innkeeping style. I'm sorry that I did not meet your vacation expectations.

Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent a weekend in the Little House on the Prairie cabin. Overall the property is lovely, we did most of the hikes and found them all to be beautiful. The view from our front porch was very nice and we enjoyed sitting with a bottle of wine in the evening. The reason I wouldn't recommend this place is the value. We paid $250 a night and for that price I would expect a lot more. Although the cabin is very cute it could be cleaner and could definitely use some updates. We had to clean out the jacuzzi tube because it was full of dead lady bugs. Also the small kitchenette is from the 70s and the fridge had a bit of a smell. There also isn't a door on the bathroom which I just find really odd. Finally the breakfast isn't great and on Sunday morning the hosts were gone so guests were on their own. It was just awkward because everything wasn't laid out so we had to go in their fridge and cupboards which felt weird. All of this wouldn't have felt like a big deal because the property is nice but for that price I would expect a clean room with a bathroom door, a fridge that doesn't smell, and the hosts to have appropriate breakfast accommodations set up if they can't be there. I was pretty disappointed since we live fairly close we were hoping to return in winter for snowshoeing but I think we'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank LODS

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed at Justin Trails over New Years and we loved it. Such a peaceful place. Don and Donna are very accommodating and customer service oriented. You can tell they put a lot of work and thought into all the details. We loved our cozy cabin (The Little House) and really enjoyed the hearty breakfasts in the lodge every morning. The resort/B&B is situated on a picturesque piece of property with great sledding hills and cross country trails. Don and Donna seem very dedicated to taking good care of their land and their guests. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Donna J, Owner at Justin Trails Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

I am happy that you enjoyed Little House on the Prairie and the fun outdoor activities.
Taking good care of our guests has given us the opportunity to stay on this third generation farm even after we sold the cows and the machinery. We look forward to your return visits!

Reviewed 6 November 2011

The good:
- Very nice property.
- Plenty of room and variety to hike around.
- Although I didn't play, the disc golf course is top notch.
- Breakfast served by the owner, Don, was very good. Tasty and filling for long days outside.
- Pet friendly; my dog probably enjoyed the property more than we did.
- Very quiet at night.
- Nearby Sparta has good restaurants and is a nice little town.

The bad:
- No turndown service or fresh towels supplied. I'm sure we'd have had to have asked for them.
- Overpriced. The room was nice, but not like we were expecting from the photos and the price point (Lona's suite).
- Very uncomfortable bed and the room was way too hot for me (wife was comfortable) and the dog. There was no way to turn the heat down in the room, no thermometer up there.

We liked it and will come back in the winter sometime. Still, quite high in price for what you get and where you are. Donna was out of town, but Don was plenty helpful, aside from the room not getting tidied up during the day. Breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Get more people together and rent a cabin for best value. Rooms are overpriced.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1Matt1

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I'm sorry that I was not able to attend to your needs.

The control for the air conditioning for your room and the second floor is in the hallway.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We planned to take a short driving trip thru southwestern Wi and southeastern MN and found this place while searching online. We only booked for one night but in hindsight should have stayed longer. 10 times better than our 2nd destination!! We stayed in the Little House on the Prairie Cabin which was so cute and cozy. Due to a morning thunderstorn, we were unable to hike before we departed. instead watched the weather move in across the hills while sitting on the front porch of our cabin. So cool! Donna was a gracious hostess and Don shared stories and we were entertained by the 1910 player piano during breakfast. The homemade granola was the best! The fresh picked blackberries were such a treat. We look forward to returning with family and renting the larger cabin. This is a great getaway from city life. The grounds were immaculate. We loved the flower gardens. So peaceful. Great for any season of outdoor activities. Thanks for sharing your farm with us 'city folks'!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kangjn
DJustin, Owner at Justin Trails Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed in Little House (Sept 2010) and fell in love with the tranquility of the land, compassion of Don & Donna, myriad of activities offered, and bountiful meals. As an organic, gluten & dairy free couple we were enamored with Donna's GF/DF muffins and respect for our dietary needs. It was so nice to trust that our food was made with mindful consideration of our needs. Seeing that Don & Donna also eat GF/DF was a plus:)

We loved it so much, in fact, that we decided to hold our wedding at Justin Trails (July 2011)! Again, Don & Donna so graciously extended their beautiful land in offering the most majestic space for our union.

Our family & friends were in awe of the land and LOVED the accomodations they had reserved. Everyone commented how peaceful and joyful they felt! It was so beautiful to join as a family in the mornings sharing in the most delicious food & warmth of the environment. Our families enjoyed playing disc golf, hiking, or simply sitting on their balcony taking in the breathtaking views.

Our wedding (185 guests) was magical. Don & Donna were open to all of our ideas and more than accomodating. Our guests were astounded by their laid back nature coupled with their attention to detail & hospitality. Donna was a pro at assisting us with vendors in the area and helpful tips along the way.

Our wedding was AMAZING. We felt so blessed to share in our love surrounded by the beautiful hills and wildflowers. I have fond memories of walking in my wedding dress surrounded by the beautiful butterflies weaving around the resort:)

Not only will my husband & I be back time and agin....but our family & friends plan to return tore-experience the peaceful energy, explore the hiking trails, cross county skiing, disc golf, etc. in the seasons to come.

A resort wrapping you in the beauty of Wisconsin's hills & valleys, warming your heart with abundant food & heart-centered compassion from Don & Donna.

May you feel the love and joy swell as fully in your hearts as it did in ours:)

~Jenny & Will

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Jenny & Will, it was our honor and privilege to host your wedding celebration! As the flutist played, it was magical to watch the two of you come down the hill to join the family and friends waiting for your wedding ceremony. You warmed our hearts with the love shared that weekend. Your appreciation and love by all your guests encouraged us to move forward with renovating the post and beam barn into the Elegant Barn. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you in this beautiful Driftless Region of Southwest Wisconsin!

Reviewed 24 August 2011

The property was beautiful and we loved the cabin, although way overpriced. However, it was advertised as a cabin that had cooking facilities, but it was almost impossible to cook. There was no gas in the gas grill, no pot for boiling water, no utensils or pot holder, no ice in the ice tray, and needless to say given all that, not one basic supply such as cooking oil, salt, pepper or sugar. Donna made a stink at breakfast when we asked for juice, and would not give me a piece of plain toast. Donna was still cleaning our cabin at 4:45 pm when we arrived, even though she had rudely said on the phone the previous day that we needed to arrive by 3:00 because she was leaving at 5:00. During our stay, she would switch between being rude and unhelpful, then hovering. She sent an item back and demanded money- significantly more than the postage cost (which was $1.00), to cover the "inconvenience". I had volunteered to send money to cover postage. My general feeling about the whole stay was: if you don't like people, don't go into the service industry!!!! Stick with farming

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
11  Thank zaddybu

Thank you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparta
The Charmant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Westby
Best Western Plus Sparta Trail Lodge
5 mi away
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Sparta, WI

Been to Justin Trails Resort? Share your experiences!