“Strangely intriguing.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of House on the Rock

House on the Rock
More attraction details
Owner description: You have to walk on a ramp through the treetops to reach the entrance of this remarkable house, built in the 1940s.
Winnipeg
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Strangely intriguing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

You know that scene at the end of the movie “Citizen Kane” where the camera pans across a room filled with an eclectic collection of items, from sculpture to art to an assortment of unusual things? That is what the House on the Rock reminded me of…a strange and sometimes bizarre collection of items, the shear scale of which is enough to make you wonder how on earth one person could possibly amass so much….stuff!

Previous reviews on Trip Advisor gave us a head up on what to expect in terms of the length of the visit, so we did not linger but moved ahead at an unrushed yet steady pace. Many areas of the museum are dimly lit. When we were there during a quiet weekday and sometimes found ourselves to be the only people in that particular exhibit. When that was the case, there was a sort of creepiness that set in. To use other movie references, I felt like I was in a surreal Fritz Lang movie at times, and “The House of Wax” at others. Some may find the place disturbing, we found it pretty cool.

The outdoors are beautiful with a Japanese garden and covered walkways linking the buildings. The grounds were a breath of fresh air (in more ways than one) upon leaving each of those separate buildings, and their natural beauty was in odd juxtaposition to what lay within those structures.

This kitschy tourist stop is weirdly intruiging. Not a place I would make a special trip to go see, but if you are in the area and have a few hours to pass, stop by and experience THOTR.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank anacreon100

Granite Falls, Minnesota
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“A lot to see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

They said 3 hours to go through all 3 sections. They were right. There is so much to see. A lot of it smells really old and some mechanical instruments need some tuning and repair.

Overall, it was great.

Rockville, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Overwhelming...Don't miss this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Locals said plan 5-6 hours. We thought they were kidding.There are three sections to this attraction, LOTS of walking. We spent took our time, did not see everything, spent 7 hours and only saw two sections. We went back the next day to see the third section. You get a 3 part ticket so it didn't cost us any more. This is unlike anything you have ever seen. It's not just a unique house but a man's collections of a lifetime. He had a great eye and what he collected is remarkable.

Visited August 2014
France
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Weird place but so nice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

As were staying in the Dells, we went to the House on the Rock. Awesome place!
The buildings / Museums are huge and I wish there were more light since some of the rooms are really dark.
The place is really "strange" and it's worth a visit. You can choose , if I recall 3 types of visits"...if you visit the entire attraction it takes well over 4 hours! I cannot remember how much I paid but it was close to $20-25 per peron. Beside the house itself built on the rock there are a number of rooms that all have their own falir. A collection of everything.... I loved the Merry-go-round and the model town. Actually there are so many different things I can hardly remember what I saw BUT one thing is sure that is the strangest and weirdest place I have ever been too. Thank you Harold and Alan for bringing me there. We went there in late October 2012/ November 2012 not in 2013.!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank pascalpierre
Oshkosh, WI
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Vacation visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We visited House On The Rock 8/12/14 very nice place but poor lighting in many spots so you miss some things. Allow at least 4 hours to see everything. It would have been nice if more things were labeled so you knew what they were. People younger than 55 probably wouldn't know what lots of things are.

Visited August 2014