“Grubby, Overpriced, with a great view.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Green
The House on the Rock Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Spring Green
Spring Green, Wisconsin
“Grubby, Overpriced, with a great view.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

As others have mentioned, a lovely setting. But a thoroughly worn-out look and feel in our room, and in the resort generally. Its present condition in no way justifies the absurd prices. The view from the room was terrific, but not enhanced by the dirty windows. The mattress might have been original to the room, or they have found a source for new mattresses that let you feel every spring. It feels like a resort that has given up.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank B B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

House on the Rock is a lovely resort in a beautiful location at resort prices. The rooms were very clean but could use some updating. The room had a nice floor plan and was a generous size with either a patio or deck. We had a handicap accessible room and it was well equipped.
The pools were very clean and welcoming. The golf course was excellent.

The down side: The layout of the hotel requires a significant amount of walking, there are a, b and c areas all adjacent. To get to c you have to walk down the a and b corridors or drive to the b or c parking lot and take the elevator from the fourth floor to your floor and walk to your room about 8 rooms per floor.
There is an equivalent walk to get to the restaurant. If you have people in your party with walking limitations, I would request a room close to the lobby in the a area.

There are a few things about the resort that did not meet our expectations:
1. There was no wifi except in the lobby.
2. Our cellphones did not work but there was coverage in the area, they should install a cell booster.
3. The Grandview restaurant only offered buffet breakfast on weekends with limited offerings but yet the waitresses could not keep up with the removal of plates, bringing coffee, condiments and checks. When advised a large number of people were coming to breakfast, we were informed that two people had called in sick. It appears that management did not call in extra staff or redistribute staff to assist which should have been easy considering it is a buffet.
4. The turn restaurant offered a good lunch menu but did not have the staff to handle the bar and restaurant on multiple occasions.
5. The hotel required payment in advance at check in instead of at check out
6. The hotel staff was hard to book with. Disorganized, long holds , cancelled reservations, and not professional.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Darlene L
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the House on the Rocks Resort over the last 4th of July weekend. One of the busiest time of the year to travel, yet the hotel seemed quiet and relaxing. At some point, we were the only people in the pool. The air was fresh. Restaurant was good. Room could be a little cleaner, but nothing major. Kids got to ride the golf carts which was awesome fun and our tix to the House on the Rock were included in the price! Talking about value! I would recommend this place in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Ask for the last floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank featherstone7
LA CROSSE
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This property is magnificent, but in serious need to an overhaul. The rooms are very dated, and basically old. Sheets have holes, and towels are worn. Coffee maker takes forever to brew 3 cups of coffee.
It is a pretty site with a great view of the golf course, but for $180.00 it is a rip off.

The final straw was when we came back from a wedding reception at 9P.M. on a saturday night, and they had closed all three bars. They claimed to be short of help. Not ONE place to grab a drink or sit around.

They are short of a lot of things. Somebody needs to clean this place up and get management before they have to close.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank dukeboy1951
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This place is definitely not a resort!! They actually have TUBE TVs in the rooms. I am not kidding. The place hasn't been remodeled in what looks like over 30 years. There is no room service and WIFI is iffy. Cell phone reception is even worse. The place smells of mold and is in dire need of repair. We ate at the Grandview restaurant and it took almost an hour to get our food- which was mediocre at best. I cold go on and on, but just be warned.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Dexter J
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Driving up to The House on the Rock Resort, is a completely different experience than staying there. I thought the courses looked fresh and green and were calling my name! I was staying at this hotel because of a nearby wedding and I was excited to when I saw the property! Then I opened the door. The lobby, the carpet, the furniture, everything was a straight out of 1985. While the hotel was clean - it left a lot to be imagined for the price. The pools (yes they have three) were all nice. The outdoor pool looked left you wondering if it was still open. It was practically deserted (and not in a good way). My husband cut his foot on something in the pool and I called the front desk. They sent out a young girl who was in no rush to ask if he was okay and basically handed us a package of band-aids. Then they put caution tape around the pool and let us be. I was really mad that they didn't make a bigger deal - he was bleeding a lot. And when we said "sorry about the towels" she said "that's okay - we have special soap to treat bloods stains" Niiiiiiiiice.... I'm glad that the towels will be okay. Speaking of pool towels... you better bring one. They offer guests hand towels instead of pool towels. That is the only POOL TOWEL that they have. No I am NOT exaggerating. It is the size of a hand towel... too small for even my two year daughter to use as a towel. It makes them look cheap. The front desk was not overly friendly welcoming us in or checking us out. I was NOT impressed and actually walked away disappointed. The rooms have old TVs and outdated color schemes and furniture. The "all suite" resort seems to have nothing but a maze of a room... though the views of the course are very nice. I would TOTALLY want to play golf here - I NEVER want to stay here, again. The only saving grace of my short overnight to the resort was the TURNS restaurant. The bartender and cook were SO nice and SO accommodating. The front desk (and probably the management) could stand to learn some customer service from the women that worked that bar. They were courteous, helpful, and a joy to talk to... and all I did was order lunch to bring back to my room! Keep those ladies around!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the course!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank KristenSTL
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Let's start with some great things about this hotel:

1) The rooms are very nice. The floorplan is excellent, especially for families. The rooms are spacious and compartmentalized very well. Although exceptionally clean, there were some upkeep issues (wallpaper coming off of the walls, etc.).

2) The buffet breakfast was outstanding. The buffet featured scrambled eggs, bacon (done perfectly), sausage (over-cooked for my taste), baked baby potatoes, waffle and French toast sticks (these did not look very good), fresh fruit (amazing), cereal, yogurt. I had eggs with bacon and potatoes, and that combination was excellent. The fresh fruit featured huge, ripe, delicious berries (blue, black, rasp, straw), and that was probably the most impressive thing on the spread. At around $11 for adults and $5 for kids, this felt like a bargain.

3) The pools and recreation were amazing. There are two indoor pools and one outdoor pool. Our kids loved them. The golfing looked incredible, although with the two kids and busy schedule, we did not have a chance to play.

4) The staff is really exceptional. They are very professional, but they are also really friendly. They were so kind to our children--Elliot even drew a picture for our 5-year-old daughter to pick up at check-out based on a conversation they had.

Some things to be aware of, if these things make a difference to you:

1) This hotel is very out of the way. This is a destination, and certainly not a place to stay if you are looking to explore Madison. It is very close to the Frank Lloyd Wright Museum and the House on the Rock attraction.

2) Is that a flock of migrating birds? No. In late May, there were droves of mosquitos and each of them were the size of a Quidditch Snitch. They have bug spray in the gift shop and, not surprisingly, it costs $12. I suggest bringing your own.

3) There is no wifi in the rooms. Wifi is available in the lobby--I am hoping it was a network named "Tsunami", and if it is not, my apologies to whoever I stole a connection from. On AT&T, there was also no cell service at all. If the decor at the hotel feels a little outdated, I would suggest correcting this first. More than color scheme and decor, wifi would make this hotel feel a lot more modern.

Those criticisms aside, I thought this was an excellent hotel, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Richland Center
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld

Been to The House on the Rock Resort? Share your experiences!