“We won't be back -” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Stevens Point
Marathon, WI
“We won't be back -”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

We had a wedding to attend and checked in between church and reception. The first room they sent us to already had someone in it complete with luggage and the lady's purse. The second room they sent us to had absolutely no air conditioning. The third room they sent us to was adequate but they did nothing to make it worth our irritation for the situation. No offer of any discount, not even a coupon or anything for a dinner out at a local restaurant. Nothing. The same night two separate cousins had issues as well. One went to their room and it wasn't even cleaned, so they were upgraded to a better room. Another cousin had no air in their room either and were upgraded as well. We were very disappointed with the staff at the front desk who basically chuckled at our misfortune!! We were definitely NOT impressed and WILL NOT be back!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to check your room first before staying!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Chargergirl54448

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Muskego, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

My wife and I had a king suite for one night which was very generously sized. Our room was at the end of a short hallway off the main hall. The end of the hallway was very dark, not conducive to a secure feeling. I don't know if a bulb was burned out or just dim, but it could have been brighter at our door. There was a fridge and microwave when you first walk in. That was followed by a nice living area with a very firm sofa and coffee table. A short dividing wall separated that portion of the room from the king bed. The bed was more firm than we normally like and the pillows were very small for a king bed, although there were 5 of them. There was a very large dresser and wardrobe at the end of the bed, which allowed for plenty of room for clothes for any length of stay.

Breakfast was good with a wide selection. There was a pool and hot tub, which we did not use, but they appeared nicely maintained.

The biggest complaint I have about the room we were in was the cracked window. The crack was partially taped, but that's virtually inexcuseable. With the crack in the window, I heard a good share of noise from the neighboring Kwik Trip that night.

Check-in was very quick and easy, though their printer needed toner. Check-out, on the other hand, took a little longer. I don't know if they are short staffed, but there was nobody at the front desk when I went to check out at 10:30. A sign requested you dial "0" from the lobby phone. When I did, there was no answer, so I waited as I wanted a copy of our bill. Ten minutes later, she finally came back only to give me our bill that was very difficult to read as the toner still hadn't been changed.

Overall, an average hotel. Nothing really special, nothing really that bad, just middle of the road.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Chappie75
fdmgrstpl, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 8 December 2010
Thank you for taking time to review the Comfort Suites in Stevens Point.

We are delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the Comfort Suites. We strive to make our guest rooms comfortable for those traveling along with a great breakfast to start out the day.

We are doing a lot of different renovations to the property and appreciate the feedback from your stay. With the guest bathrooms already renovated, we are moving into the renovations in the living areas. Thank you for the information on the lighting in the hallway. We will look into different options to possibly change that. We apologize for the cracked window in your room. The windows were replaced shortly after your stay.

We are looking forward to your future stays at the Comfort Suites so you can experience our continued improvements to the property.

Our guests are our Top Priority so again thank you for candid comments.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

I stayed at the Comfort Suites in Stevens Point on the weekend of the Renewable Energy Fair: Jun 18 – 20. That also happened to be the same weekend as the “Back from the Sand” event. Luckily I had a much better experience than the other posting for that weekend. I made my reservation months in advance and got a super great rate of $70 per night ($79.50 w/tax); WOW! My room on 3rd floor was spacious, clean with everything in working order. The bathroom was huge! Honestly the largest hotel bathroom I’ve ever experienced. And mine was clean with almost all the necessities; the one item missing was bath towels. But when I went down to the front desk, I received them promptly. The front desk apologized and explained they were unusually busy that weekend. The room’s sitting area was comfortable with a loveseat, end table, coffee table, desk, microwave and refrigerator. The double bed was comfortable with soft sheets & pillows, and enough blankets for a WI summer. The heating/cooling unit worked fine; it was not whisper quiet but I thought acceptable in volume, even on high. Plus because my room faced busy Division St, I used the white noise of the A/C’s fan on low to allow me to block the traffic noise to sleep. Next time I’ll ask for a room “in the back” and recommend others do the same because the back of the hotel just faces an open, grassy lot (not an eye sore). I did not use the internet connection in my room or the lobby. There’s a public PC in the lobby for guests to use but I did not.

The morning breakfast is great & what I’d call a deluxe continental breakfast. There’s the traditional cold cereal, instant oatmeal, fresh fruit (oranges, bananas, apples), pastries (muffins, doughnuts, danishes), bagels, toast, milk, juice & coffee. What makes it “deluxe” is the make your own waffles, yogurt, peanut butter (great on the waffles!), hard boiled eggs, and one other rotating hot item; Sat morn it was ham & egg sandwiches & Sun morning it was biscuits and gravy. I did not try everything but what I did was very good in quality and kept at the correct temperature. Plus, there was plenty of food and seating when I ate around 7:30am. Staff kept the area fully stocked and clean.

The pool/hot tub area was good. I only partook in it Friday night as Sat night it was way too busy for my liking. The hot tub was nice and hot and wonderful after a long day driving and enjoying the fair. But the workout room in the pool area was tiny; I preferred to get my exercise outside or in the pool. The hotel’s location is great for the university and downtown Stevens Point, unlike the hotels on Hwy 10 which are further away. Plus it’s right next to a residential area I felt safe walking in day or night; I cannot say that about the hotels on Hwy 10. A full service grocery store is two doors down (Trig’s) for supplies.

This was my 15th year attending the fair and this was one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in and a superb value for the price I got. I highly recommended it and hope to return next year!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
fdmgrstpl, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 8 December 2010
Thank you for your positve review of the Comfort Suites in Stevens Point. We strive to provide the best customer service possible to meet all of your traveling needs! We are so pleased that you were able to enjoy our amenities such as our deluxe hot breakfast and our heated indoor pool and whirlpool! We are looking forward to seeing you in 2011!
Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

My husband and I came to town for the "Back from the Sand" welcome for all the WI soldiers that had deployed to Iraq. It was a long drive to Stevens Point. After dropping hubby off at the parade staging area I went to see if I could check into the hotel early. They had just got "housekeeping" on, the room wasn't ready and I couldn't...no problem, didn't really expect to check in but thought I would try, so I wouldn't have to sit in the car alone all morning waiting for the parade. Well, the day went on and we got to the hotel about 2:30 or 3pm and checked in, and the lady that checked us in specifically told me that our room was ready, she'd had it done special since I had stopped in to ask so early. Got in the room. Looked ok...THEN we looked in the bathroom....the tub was FILTHY. Hairs...all kinds...dirt...ring around the tub. YUCK. Being the nice folks we are, we asked them to send housekeeping to our room to finish cleaning it and we left the hotel to drive around town some more (even though we were really tired from the drive and the parade, etc.) Came back about 40 mins later and the bathroom was still filthy, the front desk said they had no one from housekeeping yet to clean it. I told them we could not stay in the room if it was dirty and we were leaving to find another hotel. And the capper is they STILL CHARGED US for the dirty, nasty room we never stayed in. That's going to be disputed, let me tell you! What a bunch of low down crooks to charge a WI soldier for a nasty room he never stayed in. SHAME on Comfort Suites!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank bwoz
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide us with your candid comments about your experience at the Comfort Suites. At the Comfort Suites we strive to provide all of our guests with an experience that exceeds their expectations in both cleanliness and excellent customer service. We are truly sorry that your experience at the Comfort Suites did not meet this level of service. We are confident that our intentions would never be for any of our guests to experience the situation as you have expressed in your review. Since your stay, there have been many changes made in both personnel and policies. With the new implementation guests should have an experience that meets both their cleanliness and service expectations. If at this point, you still feel adequate corrections have not been made, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the Comfort Suites. Our guests are our top priority and we want to make sure that they know we will handle any and all situations that arise during their experience at the Comfort Suites. Again, thank you for your review. Improvements can only be made through knowledge and we appreciated you providing us feedback to improve upon.
new castle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

We stayed at this hotel before and now the new rooms are excellent and we had a great stay. Staff at the hotel is alwalys very friendly. Close to University and really enjoyed the free breakfast. This is the best choice for hotel in Stevens Point

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
fdmgrstpl, front desk manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 25 February 2010
Thank you for the postive review of the Comfort Suites. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next stay.
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

I have stayed at the Comfort Suites many times in the past. The quality of the hotel has been up and down but in the past year and half it seems as there is new owners. The company and employees really value their guest and I can see the service has been great the last few visits. I am always remembered by name and given a welcome bag. Also, the hotel has gone through a major renovation, which make the rooms look great!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BCM031
Thank you for your continued buisness. We are excited that you are enjoying all the changes that we have made under our new ownership. Thank you for your positive comments and will see you on your next visit to Stevens Point,WI
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

It was a very nice hotel. The suite was extremely spacious for our 5 day stay. The cleanliness was questionable. Our first night the blanket was disgusting, the toilet was not cleaned and there were papers and wrappers from people before us. I complained and the blanket was changed, but the paper and wrappers remained. (I cleaned the toilet.) The cleaning staff and one of the managers spent a great deal of time outside smoking. Other than that the staff was very friendly. Breakfast was a typical breakfast bar. The staff kept that very clean.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple