“GREAT TAPAS PLACE”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My wife and I just had lunch there today - thought we'd splurge for a traveling lunch. Had 4 tapas dishes, two wines, 2 desserts, french press coffee for 2...great service with great food. All for about $50. We thought that was a deal considering all the excellent food and service! We'll be back!

1  Thank LSE-FLYER

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Great for bites with friends. Everything was presented well and was tasty. High-end food. Would go back!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Let's start with the atmosphere. The front doors are awkward to walk into and the host desk is around a blind corner. So if you approach a busy bartender for guidance, don't expect a smile. The strange graffiti artwork cheapens the experience a bit, but the polished concrete bar is a big plus. The tables and chairs could use some tightening up like some others have stated. Like the other Cherwonka establishment, noise is prevalent. Do not count on a quiet meal for two.
Onto the food. I have been to FF on multiple occasions and I feel that the food has definitely taken a turn from the fresh ingredients to a more fried approach. There is always seasonality to consider, but frying everything on your menu or keeping large amounts of fat as a primary ingredient again... cheapened the experience.
I can go to many other places in Stevens Point and get a $9 cocktail, but it will be double the size of what you get at FF. The best thing to do with metering your food intake is to order two plates at a time and keep the menu handy. The dishes vary wildly with volume. Most are brown, salty, and have sauces sprayed all over the plate. Desserts seem to be the most appropriately priced items for the size.
Overall I am avoiding this establishment for a bit and giving them a chance to evolve. The good points and bad have been covered in the other reviews. The food CAN be very good, but the wow factor is gone. Someone can easily drop $150 on a meal for two if you know how to tip, but you won't see me doing it for a while.

1  Thank upscalemunchies
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I've been to Father Fats twice, one year apart from one another. I found both trips to be excellent. The dishes appear to change seasonally as the options from the first time I was there were totally different than the last time. I'm always happy to see a changing menu though I still craved the risotto balls from last year! Each one of the dishes was cooked perfectly which I'm sure is due in part to their somewhat limited menu. The drink menu is excellent; they use real (and interesting) ingredients in the drinks. The price wasn't bad at all for what we got, 4 dishes and 3 drinks for around $90. They did forget one cheese on our cheese board, but that was no big deal, and they took it off the bill without hassle. The restaurant is obviously tapas style without Spanish influence and the dishes came out staggered, but quickly. This is the best restaurant I've been to in Stevens Point, and it could easily do well in a bigger city.

1  Thank Lauren J
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We went just before the Riverfront fireworks, so it was a little bit quiet, which was not an issue. As Father Fats is conveniently located on a main drag, there was plenty of people watching of those going to see the fireworks. BE ADVISED. You are told right up front that unless stated, the tapas style food will be served as it is done, not all at once. These are not meals, but little tastes of goodness. Depending on what you order, it is safe to say two people can eat 3-4 plates together. We got the following tonight:
Crystal-Fried Calamari, Scallops, and White Shrimp
Roasted Pork Nachos
Cheesy Lobster Fritters

Our sampler of seafood, while fried, was not greasy, and did not require any dipping sauces.
The nachos were unexpected. We were not planning on a whole meal of nachos. The pork was almost like smoked rib meat, and was rather pleasant.
I have never had lobster before, so the lobster "donuts" were a nice treat,

We were not able to finish all of our nachos or fritters, which was not a bad thing. All in all, with non-alcoholic drinks, a desert, and the 3 plates, we paid $43 with tip. For a nice night out, it was a deal. The chairs are a bit funky, and not all that comfortable, but there was not much leaning back in the chair. There is a little street parking, and plenty of parking at the library across the street. Not that there were any kids there, I did not get the feeling that the food was all that kid friendly, but since the menu changes daily, that might change as well.

1  Thank SlothgarT