“Beautiful Victorian in a Quiet Town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Victorian Swan on Water

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stevens Point
A Victorian Swan on Water
Saint Paul
“Beautiful Victorian in a Quiet Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

We were travelling across Wisconsin with no particular plans and thought Stevens Points would be our stop for the night. We grabbed a copy of the WI B&B Association booklet and found three possibilities for SP. We called ahead , spoke with the owners and selected the Swan.
It was a Wednesday night so, we could have chosen any of them. Our room was super clean the bed comfortable, and we had our own balcony off the room. (and this is the least expensive room!).

We were a short walk to a decent independent restaurant, and after dinner walked through the neighborhood. After which we enjoyed a few beers sitting out on the balcony - wonderfully relaxing after a day of driving.

In the morning Joan, the owner, prepared a fresh breakfast and helped us with directions and suggestions for our coming days travel.

I would suggest this B&B to any casual traveller even business travelers sick of the hohum night of the national chains. Live a little!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Westmont, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

I have been traveling to Stevens Point for the past 20 years. I've known Joan Ouellette for at least that long. My husband and I look forward to our yearly visit at A Victorian Swan on Water, not only for the lovely home Joan provides, but mostly for her companionship. Joan is a very interesting woman with so many stories to share, not to mention the wonderful breakfasts she prepares. She is very cordial and accommodating to her guests. When we visit we always sign the guest book in the room we are staying in and I've read many comments by the previous guests, and all have been very pleased with their stay. I recently read the negative comment sent by a recent guest and was shocked at their comments. Those comments are so far from the truth about Joan and her beautiful Victorian Swan on Water. Joan will always have a special place in my heart because one visit we had there, Joan shared her lovely albums of her many trips around the world and her watercolor paintings of her travels. It's because of Joan that I began watercolor painting and she has opened my eyes to a whole new world. I would definitely recommend A Victorian Swan on Water, to see this lovely vintage home that Joan personally decorated and worked so hard to restore with the help of her brother. My husband and I may even visit a second time this year because we enjoy the area and our time with Joan.

Thank you Joan for making our many visits most enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Central WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

Very Contradictory to the first NEGATIVE review... I had a wonderful time. Both my Finance and I thought that our stay was more than wonderful, and plan to return when the snow flys to enjoy the warmth of the sauna room or maybe even the whirlpool room. My Fiance and I live about 20 minutes outside of town and we believe that this visit was better than many of the vacations we have taken accross the country, including the many resorts and vacation homes we have stayed in.

The innkeeper provided us with a fresh glass of water when we arrived, and also made dinner reservations for us. After we returned from dinner, she made us both a dessert and brought it up to our room. We finished with our dessert somewhere between 8:30 and 9, and despite how late it was she also provided us with complementary glasses of wine as well! In the morning, we had breakfast somewhere around 9am. Both her signature "turtle" french toast and coffee were amazing. Not only was the breakfast top notch, I also really enjoyed her company while we relaxed and sipped on our coffee!

As Far as the rooms go... they were EXTREEMELY clean!!! I tend to have bathroom phobia, and the thought of someone else's germs always creeps me out! However, each and every room was clean beyond my standards!!! Just the rooms alone are worth the price in staying, not to mention all the customer service and complimentary items that go along with it!! If you are looking for a beautiful stay with GREAT service, this is the place to stay!!!! We plan to make it a point to return every 6 months or so, because we enjoyed ourselves so much!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trinamarie33
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

I couldn't disagree more with the previous review. In fact, I needed to leave early (on a Sunday no less) and the inn-keeper not only had a hot cup of YUMMY coffee ready by 7 am but whipped up an awesome breakfast of 'turtle' french-toast. Yes, there was another couple staying during my time there ... but I didn't see them at the breakfast table, so I assume there must have been 2 breakfast "sittings". The inn was clean n' cozy. I would highly recommend for leisure or biz travelers.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank SunnyPetunia
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

The Web site looks great, but I'd choose one of the other B&Bs in Stevens Point if you're looking for a nice getaway. The house is a bit shabby, but clean, the location is less than ideal, and the worst thing about this place is the innkeeper.

She informed us when we arrived that she only wanted to "make one breakfast" so was trying to coordinate a time w/all the guests. I was kinda thinking that we were paying her, rather than staying in her house as a guest when considering what's convenient for the hostess would be appropriate. If you operate a B&B, probably best to be accomodating rather than do what's easiest for you. We said 8 a.m. would be good for us, though she noted that coffee could be provided earlier than breakfast. I asked her to have it ready by 6:30 and she said something along the lines of "we'll see."

After a crappy night's sleep, we went for a run before breakfast and let her know we'd be late. "I'm German, so I'm punctual," she said. Well, I'm German too but I'm on vacation and I'm paying you, so it's not really important that I'm punctual--wish I had said this, but I really am not interested in getting into it when I'm trying to enjoy our stay.

I'm sure she's a nice person, but it was one passive agressive comment after another with her. If you want a Martha Stewart-like attitude without the quality, then this is your place. Her cooking is just fine and she's considerate about asking whether you won't eat anything, but she's far from welcoming and she may be helpful here and there, she quickly makes you forget with a negative or downright rude quip. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple