“Stayed one night for Anniversary”

The Lodge at Leathem Smith
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Warrenville, Illinois
“Stayed one night for Anniversary”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in the King bed, Jr Suite that included a fireplace, Kitchenette and a large whirlpool tub. The room was well maintained and large enough to get around easily. We didn't have much interaction with the staff, but I did feel a little rushed while checking in. She just spoke so fast like she was trying get me out the door, but wasn't exactly rude. My only real complaint of the place is the bed. It was quite hard. I know hotels need good beds that are durable, but this made it difficult to sleep.
The hotel was right down the street from down town and at the marina, but we felt that we were in a very quiet and private place. I'd go back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our family of five booked last minute for a much needed get away from Chicago last weekend, only to find we were in bad experience hotel wise... We arrived late the first night only to be sort of sad with the general state of the place. The blinds to the deck didn't work we had to rig them at 11:30 while trying to get kids settled. The kids woke up early ready to swim in the "heated pool" ice cold. We left only to return late evening to a uncleaned room and no clean towels to bath our children after having been gone all day long. We called the front desk, seems hell had broken loose or something. The next day my wife and children had to witness the owner or boss/whatever cuss cuss and yell at his staff in front of everybody/anybody-he didn't seem to care. Most of the staff seem to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown as such...
It gets worse, I realize there was a wedding it just seemed kinda funny that the pool was the off limits from then on- did you shock the pool? Of course- shame on you.
So, for $165/night they don't clean your room the place is kinda a mess, as they have their priorities and the last day our toilet overflowed and I had to use my hand as plunger. I could go on on and on, there was a few good staff members whom help make things tolerable. Lesson learned I will slam you as I complained and you "took notes" ha ha"

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Anthony P
Wendy C, Manager at The Lodge at Leathem Smith, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Anthony,
We are sorry you feel the need to "slam us", but I think it is important that the facts are straight. We take all complaints very serious and do our best to make all of our guests comfortable and welcome. Let us start with the pool, the facts are that a pervious guest’s child had put an object into the pool’s filter and burned up the pump motor. When you arrived, the pool was being refilled and we heated it as fast as we could. What you are failing to tell folks is that we offered all of the guests an apology and a free pass to the pool at the YMCA right down the street. Now as for the blinds in the room, they are working fine so we not sure what you needed to rig. Next is the cleaning of your room, when you put up the “DO NOT DISTURB SIGN” on your door housekeeping will not enter. However the Housekeeping Team tried three times to clean your room and left you and your family a message that towels and toilettes were left up Front Desk for you. Is that fair to blame us? The plunging of the toilet, why you did not say that after your call the Front Desk we sent Housekeeping up with a plunger and the supplies to clean it up right away? Why you put your hand in it I am not sure. The staff works very hard to make sure all of our guests are happy and having a great time. The one thing I am sorry for is that Saturday night our team was a little off. But when one of our team members has their son killed in that terrible storm in Oconto County we all suffered.

Travellers are raving about these Sturgeon Bay hotels

oakdale
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Pool was nasty for a summer visit, really outdated and dirty.room could've been cleaner. Breakfast was ok for being included. Good for fishing/folding guys....maybe not so much for the ladies. Not luxurious at all.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank angiel826
Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I would have to try this hotel again to see if it is different. It was not that clean, very chaotic among staff (Saturday-Monday). The food was okay. We didn't realize that everything closes so early, including the bar. Last call was at about 10:00 p.m. It was a great bargain (Groupon). The area is beautiful; not much to do though. Pool was broke all weekend. Nothing we could do about that. Some rooms are better than others. Couldn't control the air in one room and it was frigid (we couldn't get another room). No matter how many times we told the front desk, everyone who looked at it said they would get maintenance, but maintenance never came. They agreed the room was frigid. Other rooms were open, but the cleaning crew left so we couldn't go in those. Our two rooms were semi cleaned (one room partially done; the other not at all). A side door was broken, so the lock was duct taped and left open at night. Not feeling very secure. Not sure about the bikini wiener young woman serving hot dogs out front. She was quite rude. I would try it again, but I would go cautiously. The boating docks across the street are all beautiful, but all private.

Room Tip: Unless you are a pet owner or love dogs, I would not have a room across the hall from the 'pet s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeanne S
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I think the negative reviews of the Lodge at Leathem Smith are too harsh.
They could use some minor updating and renovation, but the grounds are beautiful, the location is perfect, it's peaceful and quiet and the lobby and guest rooms are clean, tastefully decorated and inviting. The outdoor pool and whirlpool are awesome.
Best of all though, was the wonderful staff. Everyone we encountered was helpful, friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a nice private patio. We stayed in a dog-friendly room in the back of the hotel o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EdieMac
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We got one room for 4 people on Groupon. When I checked directly with hotel before our trip to make sure all things were in order the Manager said we had to pay an additional $15 per person for more than two in room. Groupon only mentions room but she said she would cancel on us if we didn't pay. My husband and I decided to get a different room if that was the case- separate from my parents directly thru the Lodge. I wanted to be near parents though because of their age. The manager said I would have to be on second floor. When we got there however; we were told we were in a totally separate building and that we should look at them because they were "old". It was old and disgusting. We now had to pay an extra $80 to stay in the lodge. I requested to speak to manager. She wouldn't be in until next day. They assured me she would call then. I never received a call. Our bathtub was stained black and my parents grey carpet was also stained black and they complained to me that their room was filthy.I was disappointed as the grounds outside and the check in area were beautiful. That apparently is where they spent alk their money!My parents amazing balcony that they were told they would have was overlooking the parking lot. We had a beautiful view but the balcony was so full of cob webs and bugs that we couldn't enjoy it. When checking out I told them I wouldn't be back
and why. A manager would call me they said. I have been home all week and no call. They are more interested in lining their pocket than treating their customers with respect. Our two day filthy stay costed us over $300 and it totally wasn't worth it. The Manager in the beginning acted like we were lucky to get a room so late in the game but we only saw a couple families there...the unfortunate few like us! We will be back to Door County...it was beautiful but we won't ever go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
23 Thank Lisa R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I've been using TripAdvisor for a couple of years for hotel recommendations - for me to consider a hotel it must have the vast majority of reviews as excellent or very good - which The Lodge at Leathem Smith does, however, this is the first time I've been let down by the TripAdvisor reviews.

When we first checked in we were given a Harborside room, which I admit are the cheapest rooms available, no wonder. They are in a separate unit not even attached to the lodge. The room was tiny, very outdated and looked directly onto another B&B across the road. We requested an upgrade to a standard room in the main lodge. This room was much better as far as décor goes & a far better size for my family of 4. However, the bathroom was very outdated and worn with its Mocha colored bathroom suite.

The Lodge needs a lot of TLC. Everything is outdated, the pool was so dirty we wouldn't even get in it. There were so many small things that indicated to us that the place wasn't cared for - in the breakfast room there was a chandelier not only missing lights bulbs but missing shades too, there were as many weeds as plants in the landscaping, a lot of the parking areas were in desperate need of repair, the exterior door near our room, which should only have been accessible to people with rooms keys, didn't even close properly. and there were other things too. The most astonishing thing though was the room housekeeping, or lack of it. The housekeeper did as little as possible when cleaning our room - the sheets were made on the bed, however, the pillows, which were disheveled from sleeping on them, hadn't been touched, none of the products - coffee, creamer, soap, shampoo, had been replaced, we only had half a toilet roll but no spare was left, when we went out in the morning we'd finished the tissues yet when we returned the box remained empty and it was very obvious the bathroom sink had not been cleaned, so I suspect neither had the bath or toilet. I phoned the front desk and they were very quick to bring toilet paper, tissues, coffee creamer (I didn't bother asking about the soap/shampoo) and someone to clean the sink.

None of the rooms had water views. There was no Wi-Fi during our 2-night stay. The front desk told us they were having troubles with their Wi-Fi contractor. The breakfast was standard hotel faire, with the exception of a chef cooking made to order omelettes - this was one of the few pluses at the lodge. The only other plus I can think of is that the beds were comfortable. It was very overpriced for what it was.

Room Tip: Unless you are on a strict budget, avoid the Harborview rooms A lot of the rooms in the lodge overl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank CKTY2013
WendyLLS2013, Owner at The Lodge at Leathem Smith, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for taking your time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Our pool is cleaned daily, chemicals are added as needed and standards are based on the State Of Wisconsin guidelines. Our grounds to some, are beautiful enough for their wedding and other parties, but I am sure a weed or two may have gotten past the maintenance team.
I am glad you enjoyed your complimentary breakfast. We think we offer a wonderful breakfast for our guests with made to order omelets, waffles, fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, yogurt etc. Unfortunately it seem we faltered in our service with your recent stay with us. I wish I knew during your stay of the service issues you encountered so I could have taken care of the situation right away.
Once again I thank you for taking you time to express your opinion of your stay. I am sorry about your disappointment and appreciate your input and it will be addressed. Hopefully your next trip to Door County will provide you, if possible a better experience.
Kind Regards,
AppleCreek Resort- Hotel & Suites
Edgewater Resort
Edgewater Resort
#1 of 8 in Ephraim

Been to The Lodge at Leathem Smith? Share your experiences!