“HUGE Disappointment”

The Lodge at Leathem Smith
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Check-In was supposed to be 3. We arrived at 12 and the room wasn't ready until after 4. I went to look in the room at one point and the cleaning crew were standing around goofing off.

Paid $150 a night for a room that was worse than Motel 6. When we checked out we were told it was bc we were there to fish, so we didn't get an updated room....but we were charged the same price. How does that make sense!?

The pool looked disgusting, which is probably why no one was swimming the whole weekend.

The only thing it had going for it was it was across the street from our fishing charter.

I would not recommend this place at all.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jake G
Wendy C, Manager at The Lodge at Leathem Smith, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Jake,
. We take all complaints very serious and do our best to make all of our guests comfortable and welcome. I am sorry that the pool was not ready for your stay. A pervious guest’s child had put an object into the pool’s filter and burned up the pump motor. We offered all of the guests an apology and a free pass to the pool at the YMCA right down the street and maps to some of the must beautiful beaches in the Midwest. We know that you were unhappy not getting a early check-in, but with a check-out at 11am the housekeepers do need some time to turn over 61 rooms and they do work hard. But we will try harder thanks for the review.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in the King bed, Jr Suite that included a fireplace, Kitchenette and a large whirlpool tub. The room was well maintained and large enough to get around easily. We didn't have much interaction with the staff, but I did feel a little rushed while checking in. She just spoke so fast like she was trying get me out the door, but wasn't exactly rude. My only real complaint of the place is the bed. It was quite hard. I know hotels need good beds that are durable, but this made it difficult to sleep.
The hotel was right down the street from down town and at the marina, but we felt that we were in a very quiet and private place. I'd go back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our family of five booked last minute for a much needed get away from Chicago last weekend, only to find we were in bad experience hotel wise... We arrived late the first night only to be sort of sad with the general state of the place. The blinds to the deck didn't work we had to rig them at 11:30 while trying to get kids settled. The kids woke up early ready to swim in the "heated pool" ice cold. We left only to return late evening to a uncleaned room and no clean towels to bath our children after having been gone all day long. We called the front desk, seems hell had broken loose or something. The next day my wife and children had to witness the owner or boss/whatever cuss cuss and yell at his staff in front of everybody/anybody-he didn't seem to care. Most of the staff seem to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown as such...
It gets worse, I realize there was a wedding it just seemed kinda funny that the pool was the off limits from then on- did you shock the pool? Of course- shame on you.
So, for $165/night they don't clean your room the place is kinda a mess, as they have their priorities and the last day our toilet overflowed and I had to use my hand as plunger. I could go on on and on, there was a few good staff members whom help make things tolerable. Lesson learned I will slam you as I complained and you "took notes" ha ha"

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Anthony P

Dear Anthony,
We are sorry you feel the need to "slam us", but I think it is important that the facts are straight. We take all complaints very serious and do our best to make all of our guests comfortable and welcome. Let us start with the pool, the facts are that a pervious guest’s child had put an object into the pool’s filter and burned up the pump motor. When you arrived, the pool was being refilled and we heated it as fast as we could. What you are failing to tell folks is that we offered all of the guests an apology and a free pass to the pool at the YMCA right down the street. Now as for the blinds in the room, they are working fine so we not sure what you needed to rig. Next is the cleaning of your room, when you put up the “DO NOT DISTURB SIGN” on your door housekeeping will not enter. However the Housekeeping Team tried three times to clean your room and left you and your family a message that towels and toilettes were left up Front Desk for you. Is that fair to blame us? The plunging of the toilet, why you did not say that after your call the Front Desk we sent Housekeeping up with a plunger and the supplies to clean it up right away? Why you put your hand in it I am not sure. The staff works very hard to make sure all of our guests are happy and having a great time. The one thing I am sorry for is that Saturday night our team was a little off. But when one of our team members has their son killed in that terrible storm in Oconto County we all suffered.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Pool was nasty for a summer visit, really outdated and dirty.room could've been cleaner. Breakfast was ok for being included. Good for fishing/folding guys....maybe not so much for the ladies. Not luxurious at all.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank angiel826
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I would have to try this hotel again to see if it is different. It was not that clean, very chaotic among staff (Saturday-Monday). The food was okay. We didn't realize that everything closes so early, including the bar. Last call was at about 10:00 p.m. It was a great bargain (Groupon). The area is beautiful; not much to do though. Pool was broke all weekend. Nothing we could do about that. Some rooms are better than others. Couldn't control the air in one room and it was frigid (we couldn't get another room). No matter how many times we told the front desk, everyone who looked at it said they would get maintenance, but maintenance never came. They agreed the room was frigid. Other rooms were open, but the cleaning crew left so we couldn't go in those. Our two rooms were semi cleaned (one room partially done; the other not at all). A side door was broken, so the lock was duct taped and left open at night. Not feeling very secure. Not sure about the bikini wiener young woman serving hot dogs out front. She was quite rude. I would try it again, but I would go cautiously. The boating docks across the street are all beautiful, but all private.

Room Tip: Unless you are a pet owner or love dogs, I would not have a room across the hall from the 'pet s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeanne S
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I think the negative reviews of the Lodge at Leathem Smith are too harsh.
They could use some minor updating and renovation, but the grounds are beautiful, the location is perfect, it's peaceful and quiet and the lobby and guest rooms are clean, tastefully decorated and inviting. The outdoor pool and whirlpool are awesome.
Best of all though, was the wonderful staff. Everyone we encountered was helpful, friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a nice private patio. We stayed in a dog-friendly room in the back of the hotel o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EdieMac
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We got one room for 4 people on Groupon. When I checked directly with hotel before our trip to make sure all things were in order the Manager said we had to pay an additional $15 per person for more than two in room. Groupon only mentions room but she said she would cancel on us if we didn't pay. My husband and I decided to get a different room if that was the case- separate from my parents directly thru the Lodge. I wanted to be near parents though because of their age. The manager said I would have to be on second floor. When we got there however; we were told we were in a totally separate building and that we should look at them because they were "old". It was old and disgusting. We now had to pay an extra $80 to stay in the lodge. I requested to speak to manager. She wouldn't be in until next day. They assured me she would call then. I never received a call. Our bathtub was stained black and my parents grey carpet was also stained black and they complained to me that their room was filthy.I was disappointed as the grounds outside and the check in area were beautiful. That apparently is where they spent alk their money!My parents amazing balcony that they were told they would have was overlooking the parking lot. We had a beautiful view but the balcony was so full of cob webs and bugs that we couldn't enjoy it. When checking out I told them I wouldn't be back
and why. A manager would call me they said. I have been home all week and no call. They are more interested in lining their pocket than treating their customers with respect. Our two day filthy stay costed us over $300 and it totally wasn't worth it. The Manager in the beginning acted like we were lucky to get a room so late in the game but we only saw a couple families there...the unfortunate few like us! We will be back to Door County...it was beautiful but we won't ever go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
AppleCreek Resort- Hotel & Suites
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
#16 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to The Lodge at Leathem Smith? Share your experiences!