“A step above camping...” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Snug Harbor Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Hales Corners
“A step above camping...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed at the Sunset Cliff cottage. We were unable to enjoy the pier as it wasnt even cleaned off of spider webs and there were no chairs down there to enjoy the view. We were hoping for a sandy beach to sit on or swim, but there was lots of garbage and rocks anywhere off the pier. Luckily we even brought our own chairs along to sit by the campfire because all the chairs they provided were disgusting. There was no grill as promised, and the first night we cooked our food on the campfire over a grill grate that was found in the bushes. There were lots of bugs in the cabin and the toilet broke on us halfway through the trip.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

My husband and I decided to give Snug Harbor a try based on some recent good reviews. The rates were somewhat low for the Luxury 2 bedroom cottage with small kitchen that we chose and they accepted pets. Upon booking they inform you via email to never leave your dog alone which begs the question, "Is that really pet-friendly? My dog can't go to the grocery store."

First of all, I have to say the rates were reasonable for the space in Door County and you can't beat the view. The cottages are very close together so if you are looking for privacy outdoors you won't find it on the resort. Choose a cottage off site. The cottage sat no more than 20 yards off the bay and that alone make the location worth every penny.

On the flip side, we did not feel as though we rented a "luxury" cottage upon closer inspection. The coffee maker was incredibly slow (45 minutes to brew 6 cups), microwave 1/2 power, dishwasher in need of repair, mold on shower stall door, paint needed through-out cottage, front door sticks and requires brute force to open, squeaky door to second bedroom (makes it difficult to check on sleeping toddler!), drawers fall out of dresser, 200 thread count sheets, towels great exfoliators, hot tube very loud, "daily" housekeeping only visited twice in 5 day, 4 night stay. In short, the place needs a little TLC.

The staff didn't help. I was rushed through check-in because a potential customer was on the phone. No direction on common grounds, where our cabin was, nada. I went back later that night with questions and was asked to wait for a 5 minute conversation on the phone with a potential customer. After two days, we needed fresh towels and more coffee. I called the office, it was busy. We were heading out and I decided to stop in. Big mistake. I entered and the staff member was on the phone. Two more staff members walked in. One answered another phone call, the other just stood there. I was ignored for close to five minutes while the staff fielded phone calls. I walked out fuming, still not helped or asked what I needed. The young staffer just standing there came out after me to ask what I needed... I replied in the streeet I just wanted housekeeping to visit our cottage while we were out.

It was one of those situations where this was our first family vacation and you just don't want anything to go wrong or be unpleasant. I would've overlooked the needed TLC had the staff been more friendly and accomodating.

Many things were charming about the cottage, but it was more about the people filling it and the view than the actual space. I have been debating about whether to write all of this or not. Bottom line is we paid Snug Harbor a lot of money, whether the rates were reasonable for Door County or not. We were not happy with the quality/cleanliness/repair of the space or the staff. Thankfully we still very much enjoyed our first family vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank princessidia
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

I was very sceptical about this resort based off of other comments but was blown away the moment I arrived. Great people and a very friendly family owned Inn. We stayed here for four nights and enjoyed every night more and more. This place was quite, peacfull and right on the water. They love dogs and was a huge resaon we chose to stay here becuse we wanted to bring our dog with. It is a few miles from great towns like Egg harbor and Fish creek. We loved heading up to these busy towns but coming back to our resort it was fantatsic to get out of the busy towns and have some peace and relaxation. They also own a sister resort a few miles awy that has great night life with live music and good amosphere. We will be back every forth of July from here on out. Door county has so much to offer and I'm sad that I had to find it after 28 years of living not sooner.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RMurray0001
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

I had read some bad reviews and was worried until we arrrived at Snug Harbor. It was a pleasant surprise. I would agree that it could use some updating, but just some cosmetic things. The rates are very reasonable. Snug Harbor is in a great location and the views are wonderful.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. The cleaning staff did a great job of keeping our suite clean.

We stayed in Suite 202 and loved the room. The suite was tastefully decorated and includes a full kitchen. There are sunny skylights, a fireplace you can see from the living room and bedroom, and a huge whirlpool with view of the bay. There is a loft upstairs with a double bed and two decks overlooking the bay.

You can rent boats there; have a picnic in the backyard, sit around a campfire at night, or just enjoy the view from your deck.

We will be back;.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debra U
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed our stay. The upstairs suite was large, well appointed, clean and had wonderful views of the water. There was an issue with the heat when we arrived, but after a phone call to the office and 15 minutes later, the owners fixed the problem. Their rates fall right in line with similar places in the area. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tripster_From_WI
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

The pictures online, are a bit deceiving. The place is a bit run down which I will chalk up to rustic. We were in 202. In the first hour, we had turned off the air conditioning and put the heater on which caused dripping from the ceiling vent. We were told this happens a lot - then fix it right. There were stains on the carpet when we first got there. After dinner, we came back and the dripping was fixed as were the stains (which I hadn't mentioned) but they left the dirty wet rag as well as the bucket still where the drip was. For three days the bucket stayed in the same spot! Mostly clean, had paper thin walls. Need to spend a few thousand to update appliances, put outlet covers on, etc.The bed was like a board as were the pillows and the people next door had the whirlpool going at 11:45 and it is like a freight train. I will step it up next time and pay a little more for an updated place. We couldn't sleep well. Great view of the harbor though!!

Note: if you like rustic, this place is for you. And my husband said it looked like you could put your boat right in the slips there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

Briefly, there were some positives. We chose Snug Harbor because we have a dog and there are few places that will allow dog in Door County and because we booked the day before and almost every place that allowed dogs was booked before we got to it. I had found another place (Shallows in Egg Harbor) that we booked for one day but then we needed another day prior. (Make sure you read to the end to hear the BIG negative).

First off, the Snug Harbor desk clerk allowed us to check in two hours early, which was great. We rented a cottage away from the motel on Bay Shore Drive in Sturgeon Bay. I love Bay Shore Drive and stayed at cottages many years growing up so I was pretty excited about the prospect of a cottage on the water. When we arrived, I was slightly deflated. We had the "Midship" cottage which was really, really, small and really, really, run down. The carpets were vacuumed but badly stained and I thought to myself, "The room is so small you could recarpet the place for $200 max. Better yet, for a dog-friendly place, put down some tiles and use rugs if need be. However, the bay view was awesome and the lake off the pier (we had to use the next door neighbor's pier because ours was collapsed and sitting broken in the water) was all sand so we were able to swim and enjoy the water. However, there was so much algae washed up on shore that the smell was a bit overpowering.

Inside, there was a fireplace and the bed linens were cute, but other than that, not much to write home about. There was also a firepit outside. When we arrived, there was no t.v. Concerned that the people before us had stolen the t.v. we immediately called the motel and they brought out a t.v. in a very short period of time.

However, I have one MAJOR complaint about this place. My dog got fleas from sitting on the floor. We made sure we kept him off the bed and made him sleep in the living room. The next day we had moved on to the next place and as we were walking in the door, I noticed a flea on his neck. I checked him over and found no more at that time, but the next morning (this morning that I'm writing this) I was rubbing his belly and saw many black spots and thought, "Please no!" Sure enough, my husband and I pulled off at least 15 fleas before we checked out this morning. Then we found more in the car as we looked him over. After getting home, we immediately gave him a flea soap bath adn I found 15 more in the tub. Then after we got him out, I gave him a dose of Advantix and STILL I've been finding dead and alive ones on him all day and night. I've washed our linens and will have to bomb our house tomorrow. That will mean washing everything: bed linens again, clothes, dishes, and shampooing the carpets, not to mention, taking the dog and cat out of the house and staying away for at least four hours. I'm sure some of you are thinking that he had them already but I give him a bath monthly and he gets a dose of Advantix the day before he gets his bath. I didn't notice any scratching prior to our trip, so I highly doubt he had them before. I am so mad and it really ruined a nice weekend knowing all the work I will have to do now to get rid of any more fleas. The cost of the cottage was $135 + $10 for the dog. I think they should be paying me because now I have to do all this work and pay for two flea bombs.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Newport Resort
Newport Resort
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Sturgeon Bay

Been to Snug Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!