“Heaven on earth...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sturgeon Bay
Robertson's Cottages
Phoenix, Arizona
“Heaven on earth...”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I'm originally from Tinley Park, IL, now from Phoenix, AZ, I have been enjoying the beauty of Robertson's Cottages at Idlewild since 1978. I have no desire to go elsewhere in this world for my vacations. My trips are planned (with my dog(s)) every May and September, always a season in advance. Rustic, quiet, peaceful...the cottages and surrounding woods help renew my soul. There are hundreds of guests/families from many years back who have made lasting friendships with other "guest" families. The "friends" all return year after year because of Beth and John Yount, their children, grandchildren & great-grandchildren, and Beth's mother, Joyce Robertson, before them...

I've stayed in just about every cottage over the years and I've found the accommodations to be very enjoyable, sometimes even amusing (the Last Resort, no longer exists, Sugar Shack, too) and very comfortable. There are those guests who have come to the cottages and never returned simply because the "Robertson's way" wasn't "their way". Their loss...by this I mean, family is important...you bring your children and pets, there is no "host caretaker" to babysit your kids, pets are leashed, there is no "entertainment director" to make sure you have a good time, and no daily maid service that leaves mints on your pillows, that's entirely up to you. The rest is simple...kick back and enjoy yourself! A housekeeping cottage means clean as you go during your stay. The cottages are thoroughly cleaned between "new arrival" guests.

I love the cottages. I love the Yount family. I love the area known as Idlewild. For me, there is no greater place or peace on this earth. Anyone who doesn't feel the same about this resort is seriously impaired! (and you know who you are...)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Dawgma

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I stayed in the sunrise cabin, and it was great! They had a huge living room with a fireplace. Lots of space for games and people! I had to sleep on the couch because the two bedrooms were full, but I was still comfortable! I had a great time as I always do when I come to the Robertsons. They are always great hosts and don't think I can complain about anything. Not to mention the sunrise is on an island! Your own private island. It was an awesome trip, I'll definitely be back next year!

• Stayed September 2010
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I have been staying at the Robertson’s island for over 15 years. I started coming with a few friends and later with my family. I still do both trips every year and it is one of the highlights of my summer, I would be sorely disappointed if I missed either one of them. Beth, John, and their whole family have always been accommodating, reliable, and friendly. I count myself lucky each year to be able to have the time there to spend with family and friends. Beth and John have never let me down and not once, not even one single time, have I ever been anything but happy about every minute I’ve spent there. The only thing that stinks about the island is having to leave it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Sevastopol, WI
Reviewed 12 October 2010

If you can remember the quiet slow paced life of a vacation in the 50's or 60's, this is a spot reminiscent of those days gone by. This is a return visit to Sunrise Cottage on Robertson's Idyll Wood Island for us. The last visit was over 12 years ago. Our stay was as wonderful as we remembered. Before that we had spent one or two weeks for about 5 years in a row. Each visit was the relaxation that we needed. Pet friendly is the reason we first selected Robertson's. Sunrise Cottage on Idyll Wood Island, the second reason. Sunrise cottage and Idyll Wood Island transport visitors back in time. If you're looking for urban conveniences or 21st century architecture, look to a major city. But if you're looking for hosts that will do their best to make your stay pleasant and a site that will offer you the opportunity to relax and recharge - make your reservation, you may have to be on a waiting list. Sunrise Cottage is a most special place.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My husband and I planned a relaxing week away and decided to stay in Door County Wisconsin. After reviewing the websites of many resorts we decided to stay at Robertson’s Cottages at Idlewild in Sturgeon Bay because it was described as rustic with a beautiful view. Well beautiful view it had but rustic was confused with run down and filthy. My husband and I were very disappointed when we saw the pontoon boat that we were going to use for the week for transport to and from to the small island where Sunrise Cottage was located; we realized we were in for a horrible stay. The pontoon boat had mold on the side of the seats, was hard to start because it was not maintained well and the path from the island to the main land was shallow so you could get stuck in the mud or rocks easily. When we arrived on the island we saw the cabin was filthy and run down as well. When booking the cabin I talked with Beth Yount, the owner who could not have been nicer, she assured me that the cabins were cleaned regularly; a crew would clean after every visitor. When my husband and I walked inside Sunrise cabin there were crumbs on the kitchen table. The cabin had a horrible musty smell, the furniture was old and dirty, we did not want to sit down. It appeared as if the floors and area rug had never been cleaned or even swept. The bathroom had very old fixtures and black mold in the toilet. The bed had a cheap mushy mattress and after one night my husband’s back was aching. The light fixtures in the bedroom were so old the insulation was crumbing off the electrical cords. Beautiful views are everywhere in Door County, do not stay at Robertson’s Cottages. Our suggestion is, find another resort.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bailiesmom
houston
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Summer or Fall, this is a getaway you won't ever forget. Retired teachers, John and Beth Yount, own six cottages on the shore and two more on a five acre island 400 yards away in the middle of Sawyer harbor just south of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. We rented the "Sunset Cottage" on the island. It has a queen bedroom and a loft with two queen beds and sleeps six. Some might call the pine-log interior rustic, but it is wonderfully decorated with antique lights and cool momentos that Beth and John have collected over the years. You can rent a pontoon boat as your transporation to the island or the Yount's will take you back and forth. But after getting there, you won't want to leave except to get more groceries. It's like being in another world...practically your own island as you can't see the other cottage, the "Sunrise Cottage" on the other side of the heavily wooded island. The huge dock is great for sunning and watching spectacular sunsets. The fishing for bass and perch is great and the water for swimming is crystal clear. The rest of Door county is only a short drive away. The Younts are wonderful hosts and we are going back every year.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Beach Harbor Resort
Beach Harbor Resort
#10 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Robertson's Cottages? Share your experiences!