“Nice place, nice stay.”
Review of Bay Shore Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sturgeon Bay
Bay Shore Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Sussex, Wisconsin
“Nice place, nice stay.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We are family of 4, stayed in a 1 bedroom suite (200 level South building) for 5 nights in June. Most important: The suite was very clean! Linens and towels were clean and not worn. All staff members were friendly and informative. Sofa bed was adequately comfortable. Kitchen and bathroom amenities were fine. Our unit had a spacious balcony accessible from both the bedroom and the living room. Grounds and gardens were pretty and well-kept (but a shame that the exceptionally brutal winter ravaged the evergreen bushes; they will hopefully recover in time). The sand beach, pier, and fire pit areas are very nice. We did not take advantage of the fitness room, pools, bikes, or boats, but nice to know they were available. A couple minor negatives: We had assumed the suite had central air (our fault for not asking specifically when making the reservation). It has a single window unit in the living room that is loud when sleeping on the sofa bed. The bedroom, then, was a bit warm with the door closed, but has a ceiling fan. Surprised to find out the suite did not have its own iron and ironing board, which are available in the common laundry area on 3rd floor (again, we should have asked). The balcony could have been swept or wiped to remove a few cobwebs and dust/dirt.
The Inn is only 5 minutes from downtown Sturgeon Bay, but you would not know it when you are there. It has a natural, country feeling. Our suite had a nice view of the bay, and we enjoyed a couple of beautiful sunsets. Convenient to shopping, restaurants, and Hwy 42 to head north up the peninsula. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: North building has the indoor pool, fitness center, game room, so maybe better for young families. S...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sheboygan, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed in the Cottage at the Bay Shore Inn for 3 nights in June. It was spacious, clean, and beautifully equipped. The 3 bedrooms accommodated our group very well. Each bedroom gave folks a private space while the large living room with a gas fireplace gave us lots of space to be together. We appreciated how clean and well kept everything in the cottage is. Because there is a full kitchen we could make our own meals. The grand kids had a wonderful time in the swimming pools. The kayaks and boats (with life vests) which are available free are also wonderful. Also because the cottage is by itself we did not have to tell the grand kids to be quiet all the time. Thanks for a great time we will all remember.

Room Tip: The cottage is the only 3 bedroom "room" so if you need a little more space, this is a goo...
Grayson, Georgia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My family just finished a wonderful stay at Bay Shore Inn. The staff was friendly and made us feel very welcomed. This was highlighted when we needed to change our reservation. About 3 weeks before our scheduled arrival I realized that the 2 bedroom I reserved had a very small balcony. I called to upgrade to the 2 bedroom deluxe with a larger deck since I knew we would want to spend time outside our room. There were no rooms available for a 5 day/4 night stay so they split our stay between two rooms. On the day we needed to move they let us know as soon as the other room was available, offered to help us move our items, and even let us check into our new room that morning so that our food wouldn't spoil and we could spend our day enjoying Door County instead of waiting for our room. This epitomized the quality service we received.

The grounds and facility were as wonderful as the staff. We choose to stay at Bay Shore Inn because I wanted a quiet place on the lake that offered free things to do. My family was on a road trip and after spending 3 days in Chicago we knew we would want a place to just relax and wind down. This place was perfect for that. Each day we had a chose of playing tennis, kayaking, row boating, bicycling, swimming, using the game room, relaxing on the deck and enjoying the ocean view, spreading our in the spacious room, or driving to the surrounding towns to sight see.

Room Tip: If you want a larger deck to lounge on select a 2 bedroom deluxe or supreme unit. I think the one be...
1 Thank travelingfamilyof4
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

On 6-2-2014, we checked into room 316 at the resort and were so much more than pleased with the beautiful accommodations and grounds. Our reservation deposit paid, and balance due upon checkout was for 4 nights and we were to pay the entire reservation in full according to the resort policy. We thought the place was beautiful. Two nights later, 6-4-2014, my husband unmade our bed and found a small bug in between the blanket and sheet. He took the blanket and placed it in the bathtub. He also took a picture of the insect, and collected it into a small bottle. The front desk is closed until 8am in the morning. We could not contact anyone until the morning. We packed up our things and the intention was to check out one night early from our reservation as we no longer felt comfortable staying in that room. Neither my husband nor myself are experts in insects, but under the circumstances, we did not feel comfortable and wanted to check out. We went to the front desk, and talked to a gentleman named Joe who was behind the desk. We are not sure if he is the manager or the desk clerk, but I told him that "we were to stay one more night, but we now needed to check out one night early because we have a problem". He asked what the problem was and I told him that we found a bug in our bed and did not feel comfortable. He immediately stated that 'we don't have bed bugs here'. He then insisted that we were responsible for our entire reservation charges. My husband pulled out the small bottle and showed him the bug. He poured it onto a white piece of paper. Joe said that they do not have bed bugs and that this was a black fly, and they were all over at this time of year and get in when you leave doors open. I can clearly say that this is not a 'fish fly'. Joe then proceed to wrap the bug in a paper and put it into a white envelope. Joe also told us that he would give it to the health department to be checked out and that if it turned out to be a bed bug he would refund our money. Joe then insisted that the entire amount of our reservation be paid in full. I had told him that I would not pay for our final night since we would not stay there. He never offered another room, and just insisted that the full balance be paid. Joe also said that we must pay for the last night because he could rent that room to someone else. This seemed odd, since he also said that he would have the bug checked, but then would rent the room. ? At that point my husband did not trust that Joe would do anything about this as he said he would, so my husband, told him that we would get someone to investigate this ourselves, and proceed to reach for the envelope with the bug. At this point, Joe grabbed my husband's wrist and arm, and said "oh no you don't", and would not let go. Joe was holding my husband's wrist, and pulling at him and the envelope. Joe finally let go, and then proceeded to come around from the desk and came toward my husband and myself.
When I started to yell "stop it", Joe went back behind the desk and stated that he would call the sheriff.
Joe then stopped to answer the phone that was ringing. After he finished with that call, I told him that this entire thing was just silly and ridiculous. Joe then told us that if we did not pay the entire $320 balance that he was going to call the sheriff, and that my husband assaulted him! My husband is a survivor and rescuer of 9-11 World Trade Center disaster, and retired from the NY City fire department, and being such, we are law abiding people. I did not want to go through any more drama, so I conceded to pay the entire balance due, with the statement, that "I will handle this another way". Joe proceeded to tell me that he would respond to anything that I wrote in his own way, if I dispute the charges or any other action I may take. We drove home with our vacation cut short. The morning after we arrived back home, 6-6-2014, I called the Door County Health Department. They took all the information filed a complaint with the state health department so that this can be investigated, to determine the situation and if any action needs to be taken. I submitted this to the resort, after we received a ‘thank you’ letter. As of the writing of this review, I still have not received any response whatsoever. The health department is scheduling and inspection of the facility.
The facility is very nice, but not worth the appalling treatment.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Ariesvee
4205Bayshore, Manager at Bay Shore Inn, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
On the morning of June 5, 2014 the couple entered the office and said they had a problem and were leaving a day early. I said that was their choice to leave early, but they were responsible for the payment of their entire stay as stated on their signed registration form. The wife said she knew the policy but would contact her bank to refuse payment if she was charged for their final night. I said that was her option but I would be able to respond with written documentation. She then said their problem was that they found a bed bug on the bed spread the previous evening and the husband placed a black bug on the desk. I stated that we take great pride in the cleanliness of the resort and that we do not have bed bugs. I stated this bug was one of the black bay flies present at this time of the year. The bug was placed in an envelope and I attempted to resolve the situation when I said, I would charge nothing at this time but I would take the bug to the health department to be checked. If it was not a bed bug I would charge the remaining amount due on their credit card at that time. The husband unannounced lunged over the counter grabbing the envelope and ripping papers on the desk. The husband refused to return the envelope so I said they had two choices, either return the envelope and pay the amount due or the sheriff's office would be contacted to assist in settling the situation. The husband returned the crumpled envelope to the desk and the wife said she would pay the amount due. The unit was cleaned/inspected and no bugs were found. Rarely do guests request to leave before the end of their stay but they pay the remaining amount due for their entire stay. Guests with legitimate reasons for leaving early are exempt from paying.
A State employee inspected the unit finding everything appropriate and said the black bug was not a bed bug.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Bay Shore Inn was awesome! The rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. We had more than enough room for our family of four. All of the employees were very friendly and helped us with all of our questions on good places to eat and what to see while on our vacation to Door County. We would definitely recommend staying at The Bay Shore Inn. I know we will stay there again when in the area.

Huntly, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I expected our suite to be nice, from reading other reviews, but it was outstanding. The suites were very clean, modern, functional, and light-filled. We had a terrific view of Green Bay from room 307. If you want a one-bedroom suite, definitely ask for 307. We decided to stay an extra day, so we had to move to suite 306, which didn't have an optimal bay view and wasn't as modern, but, still, it was a really nice room. The only potential issue I could see was that 307 didn't have an air conditioner in the bedroom (just in the living room), but we didn't find it a problem, since nights were cool and we could open the windows.
The location is also perfect, as its north of Sturgeon Bay, in a quiet area. It felt secluded, yet it was very close to everywhere we wanted to go.

Room Tip: If you're going for a one bedroom suite, definitely chose 307. It's totally updated and has...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KSBinVA
Dubuque, IA
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We just returned from the bay shore inn. We spent 4 nights with our family (my husband, myself, 3 year old, 7 month old and my parents). The staff was very helpful and friendly. Everything you could possibly want to do is included. They have 2 pools, free access to bikes, paddle boats, board games, dvds, books, grills, and awesome wifi. We very much enjoyed our stay and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2014
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Best Western Maritime Inn
Best Western Maritime Inn
#6 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Bay Shore Inn? Share your experiences!