“AWESOME”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Shiocton, Wisconsin
“AWESOME”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just returned from our first, but not our last trip to Westwood shores Resort. The sunset views from this property are just beautiful, could not be better, even on a cloudy evening the sun beams over the water....just amazing. The Resort could not have been better, not a lot of staff around, which I loved, they were available if I needed them, but we never did. Our unit 111 was super clean, and very well maintained, housekeeping was amazing, the fresh towel basket was more then enough items, the indoor pool was used everyday by our kids, the outdoor pool had great views of the water and could be seen from all the rooms, which is nice if you want to keep an eye on kids. We fished off the pier, caught a few. Just an awesome place, we will go back soon.

Room Tip: We had the 2 bedroom unit, it has a very larger outdoor patio, I noticed that some of the units had...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hometown G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Asbury, Iowa
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice place to stay and the view into the bay is exceptional. Sunsets are gorgeous. The pools are OK and the grounds are wee kept. Having a full kitchen is also convenient.
But...
It definitely needs some work. Cracked paint, trim in bathroom was broken, and the patios are for solo use only.

Would stay again as the view and walking in area are nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CAKnier
Denise S, General Manager at Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thanks for your review of Westwood Shores, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We are sorry to hear that you found some maintenance issues on the property~ we work hard to avoid that~ even though we are 18 years old guests almost always say that the place looks brand new. I hope you passed your specific concerns along to someone at the property. We are always looking to improve the resort just last winter we purchased new refrigerators, installed new counter tops and purchased new TV's for the bedrooms. I am glad to hear that you plan to return to our hotel and hope to see you again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed over Memorial Day Weekend. This was our third visit to the Westwood Shores. As with the previous two visits everything was wonderful. The front desk staff is always polite and professional and make us feel welcome. We stayed in one of the premier units. It was well worth it. We could sit on the porch and look right out of the bay. It was quite a peaceful vacation. We hope that the next time we visit a premier unit is available.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ML1702
Denise S, Manager at Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thanks for coming back to Westwood Shores! Glad to hear that you thought the premiere suites were worth the upgrade. We are happy to hear that you had another wonderful stay and hope you will return many more times!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have to disagree that "every room has an awesome bay view". It does depend which unit you are in. Also as the units are individually owned, some are much more comfortable and better equipped than others. There are some standard features but some owners put a lot of effort and thought into their units while others do the bare minimum and are just money makers for the owners. I can say this based on the four units I saw (large family group stayed). I don't see how you can say " all units are beautiful" unless you have seen all the units or at least a lot of them!?? The only people that would know that would have to be owners or employees. If you are lucky enough to book a better unit, you will be happy, if not you will be disappointed. I would ask to see what is available upon check in. It looks like some people know which units to request and are able to hold them. We booked a premier 2 bdrm that was available but it smelled terrible and so opted for a regular unit instead. Try to look first!! Also, even though this is a non smoking property, people still smoked here. One of the units I was in reeked of smoke! I guess even though you want to believe you can find a perfect place, you have to be grounded in reality. Still, Door County is beautiful and you should not spend a lot of time in any hotel room nice or not!

Room Tip: Try to look at your unit before you take it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mar L
Thanks for your review of Westwood Shores. We are very surprised by your comments, we really do believe our units are very comparable. We are so sorry that you felt slighted. We do have some guests that prefer a north side or south side units, or some prefer 1st floor while others prefer second. But our units all have the same furniture and fixtures, and the building is in the shape of a U so every suite faces the water. Our unit owners can add small decorative items but nothing should be included to make one unit more rentable than another. As for the smoking and/or smoke smell... our state law requires all of our units and our balconies be smoke free. We strictly enforce this and allow smoking only outside of the building. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations, that is not typical at our property. I apologize that your concerns were not addressed during your stay. We hope you will come back again and give us another try.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have stayed at Westwood Shores many times and have never had a complaint. The staff is just the best and you feel like family. Unit has everything...refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, flat screen tv's and dvd players. Views of Green Bay breathtaking from every unit. Short drive to Egg Harbor and Fish Creek. Bring your bike and enjoy the gorgeous ride right from the unit up Bay Shore Drive. New favorite restaurants: Parador in Egg Harbor and as always, Mr. Helsinki's in Fish Creek. Blue Front Cafe across the bridge in Sturgeon Bay is excellent. Cannot wait to return to Westwood Shores...the only place we will stay in Door County.

Room Tip: All the units in the main building have great water views. There is an apartment available in the b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Myrna S
Thanks for positive review, we are happy to hear that you always choose Westwood Shores. You have also offered some great restaurant recommendation to future guests as well, I also like Mr. Helsinki's but don't always recommend it due to the location further north. We are adding more of the restaurants up and down the peninsula to our guest service directory because guests like you let us know of their favorite spots. Looking forward to having your return again to enjoy Door County.
Asheville, NC
Reviewed 21 June 2014

From the moment I arrived until I left I felt at home. The front desk staff were very helpful and the hotel was peaceful and quiet. I had a one bedroom condo which was located on the third floor so the view as excellent. I had everything I needed at my finger tips. When booking I was concerned about the location but it ended up being perfect to access both Sturgeon Bay and other towns on the peninsula. The only thing I missed was a juice walking or running path that was not one the road but the road was a neighborhood so it was quite pleasant and a park was not too far in either direction. If I had a complaint, it was because the humidity brought some little bugs so sitting on the balcony was difficult. The owners recognized the problem and was cleaning the outside the day I left. They offered to vacuum or clean the bugs but I elected to do it myself and was able to enjoy the balcony on that humid day. That was not something the owners could help. Otherwise, a perfect place with a beautiful view of Green Bay. I would stay there again. Oh, sunset pictures over the bay are fantastic.

Room Tip: If you can get one bedroom then you get the third level and what I think are the best views except f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AnnieGirl50
Batavia, Illinois
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I had a fantastic stay at Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort. The rooms and property were very well maintained. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We stayed in suite 311 and couldn't have been more satisfied. We had a great view of the bay and I got some great sunset picture while we were there. We brought some food as the suites have a full kitchen and cooked most of our meals there. We did go out to eat a couple of times as there are some great restaurants nearby. I would recommend Donny's Glidden Lodge for dinner and The Cornerstone Pub in Bailey's Harbor. We played golf at 4 different courses and rode our bikes. I was amazed at how quiet it was at the resort. I would highly recommend Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort to everyone and it's the only place we will stay from now on when we come for a golf vacation.

Room Tip: We liked being on the 3rd floor because it seemed to be very quiet. Every room seems to have a grea...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay
Homestead Suites
Homestead Suites
#3 of 10 in Fish Creek

Been to Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!