“Authentic Mexican Food”

Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Milwaukee
“Authentic Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Simple and cleanwith authentic Mexican meals. Family friendly serving reasonably prices meals and beverages. One can even get a Negro Modela beer. Gluten free items available, too.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Robert H

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Rice, Beans, Salsa, and Quesadillas were very good!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

The rice and beans were great! The beans weren't what we were expecting, they were a white authentic bean instead of a black bean, but they were very good. The chips are store bought (circular, not triangular), but good with the excellent salsa. Since there were only two of us, the amount of chips and salsa was good. The cheese and chicken quesadillas were absolutely wonderful! We plan to go back to this traditional, local Mexican restaurant!

• Visited April 2014
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
“Uncomfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We were told this was the better mexican place in Sturgeon Bay. Felt like I was intruding in there home. No atmosphere at all. 6 tables in the whole place. Asked for 2 Coors Light and they had none even though they had a special? Food was good but we still felt hungry. Chips were tostitos of the store shelf and if we got a dozen we were lucky. To many nice places in Door County to feel this uncomfortable to eat here again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank auctioneerDePere
Litchfield, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Mexican food, way north of the Border”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Girlfriend and I decided to try this place out after we took an unintentional detour in Sturgeon Bay. On our way to upper Door Country we got stuck in a snow storm. This place was about 3 blocks from the AmericInn where we stayed.It's easy to miss as it's only a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant crammed into in a strip mall between a tax place and some other random business.

I've found when it comes to ethnic food, these are usually the best places and when you walk in and see grandma and two toddlers playing in the dining room, you know you're getting the real deal. Though the decoration is pretty spartan and has more of a cafeteria feel than a real restaurant, it was warm and inviting and the staff was very friendly. The sounds of football (soccer) and Mariachi music coming from the kitchen certainly cement that idea.

I had the lunch special: two beef enchiladas, rice and beans and my girlfriend had the enchiladas with asada. Food was delivered hot and fresh, though I am assuming this was more due to the fact that we were literally, the only customers. Either way it was ever bit as authentic and delicious as I remember any Mexican food being.

The rice was soft, slightly sticky and smelled wonderfully of tomatoes, pepper and chile. The beans were moist and smooth without being runny or watery and had that amazing earthy flavor and texture that only comes from properly cooked beans - nothing from a can at this place! The enchiladas were the best part though. Nicely spiced, well cooked meat with that lovely bland but spicy corn tortilla and sauce. Washed down with a Jarritos, you could be forgiven for thinking you'd just stepped up to a Tijuana food stand, if not for the snow drifting up against the windows.

This place was awesome and it's definitely worth a visit, and probably a return visit from us on our way through to northern door county. Lunch for two people was $25 with tip and for this flavor at that price can't be beaten.

• Visited December 2013
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Rice and Beans Are Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I was told by a friend that there was a little Mexican place on the outskirts of Sturgeon Bay that has some of the best rice and beans! It took us a while to find it and it was in a very lonely strip mall just as you are coming into town on the South side of the street. We pulled into an empty parking lot and found ourselves as the only customers in a small place called "El Sazon". ( The Seasoning) Oh well, I wrote it off as being a Monday night and we sat down and ordered anyway! My wife loves flautas and ordered these with rice and beans and I went with the special of a tomale and chicken taco, with rice and beans of course! While waiting for our order I chatted with Laura our server and she was glad to answer any questions we had about the place.
When our food arrived we were amazed! Our friend had not steered us wrong! We were impressed! The rice and beans were amazing! So were the entrees! I wanted some extra hot sauce and they brought me out some of the finest "Homemade" Habenero sauce I had ever had!
We were so impressed we went back for lunch the following Thursday! It was even better!
Muchisimas Gracias Laura y Dago por una comida muy autentica! Bruce and Pam, Woodbury, Mn.

• Visited October 2013