“What a great experience!”

Beach Harbor Resort
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed here for a few days in July this summer and I was beyond impressed with every aspect of my stay! It was my first time in Sturgeon Bay and I couldn't have asked for a better way to experience the area. The hotel was clean and has a great feel to it, the location is perfect as well! We took advantage of the kayaking (included in the cost of our room) and splurged a bit for jet ski rentals. The staff were all very helpful and kind - they even gave us some great advice on places to go and things to see while we were in town.

I'm pretty surprised at some of these negative reviews on here. I'm not normally one to write online reviews but felt compelled because of our great experience at this hotel. The price was right, the location was perfect, the staff were top notch, and I truly can't think of a single negative thing to say!

I will highly recommend this hotel to friends and family when they travel out to Sturgeon Bay in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 July 2013

When we booked our room the photos looked very nice, but when we arrived it looked like a dump. Front desk girl wasn't friendly at all. When we got to the room we took on look and said ok this will do for the night and we went and got our key. Upon settling in to our room we noticed it wasn't as clean it looked. Spider webs everywhere and the room just didn't look right. Both my husband and I had a rough night of sleep. Then in the morning I noticed my socks where black from walking on the carpet in the room. Then I went to take a shower and I looked up at the ceiling and there was black mold everywhere. Then we noticed cigarette holes in the bedding.

Upon leaving the I told the girl what we thought and all she could say was oh I'm sorry. Then later when we got home I emailed management. The offeren me a gift certifitcate to come back. Now what would I do that? I then in return requested a refund. I still haven't heard back from them.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Marianne K
Jon and Patti H, Front Office Manager at Beach Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
I would like to begin by readdressing some of your issues. Promptly Saturday morning, after we spoke, housekeeping was sent into your room where they bleached the bathroom, removed and replaced all bedding, high/low dusted, and shampooed the carpet. However, we do not shampoo carpets after every checkout. They are scheduled to be cleaned seasonally. I would still like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Like I’ve previously stated in our emails, this is not the way we want our guests to experience the property.

I understand you checked in later in the evening. I would like you to realize we have a 24 hour office line where guests can contact office personnel as well as the owners and convey any questions or concerns at any time. The issues you experienced were not brought to our attention until 7am where you came into the office and listed them off. I did not have an opportunity to say or do anything but to apologize to you as you walked out the door. By letting the office know of your disappointment with the room earlier we could have accommodated you with another room or even an upgrade to our sister property. You are our priority, but we cannot help if we are unaware of the concerns.

Beach Harbor Resort is a family owned and run establishment. Our goal is to provide guests with a clean, comfortable room in Door County that is also affordable. We would like to thank you for your review as we only strive to make the property and guest experiences better.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 June 2013

It pains me to have to give this place even one star. What a dump! The room stunk like stale smoke, the bed was so uncomfortable and don't even get me started on the pillows. The towels in the room were sprayed with some gross lemon disinfectant that left them wet with yellow spots. GROSS! The staff were so surly and rude. I can not believe this place touts itself as "family friendly." It should tout itself as "the Porky's of the Midwest" as there were enough 20 something drunk people to have you think you were at a frat party. Not only will we never even think of staying here again, I don't want anyone else to make the mistake we made. The website designer should win an award because their website makes this place look like a paradise and not the rundown party palace it is.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank BeckyS23
Belgium, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed here (for a steal!) while we went ice fishing for the weekend. The cleaning staff cleaned a room up early so we had somewhere to change before we went out. Super nice! Kylie was very gracious both nights we came past the front desk. She even waited on us on Saturday night when we were being ignored by the waitress that was on duty. Granted, it is certainly not a new hotel by any means but it was clean, beds were comfy and there was heat and water! I am interested to see how it is in the summer time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sknib1
Jon and Patti H, Manager at Beach Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thanks for leaving us such a great review! We equally enjoyed you and your party and are glad you guys were able to get in a lot of great fishing. We'll be looking forward to your return this summer!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Checked in and went to room both our jaws dropped at what we saw. We could not stay in a place this run down without being miserable. Asked for our money back and was offered a condo at one of the owners other properties. Left as quickly as we could. Photos are not accurate of the rooms or overall "motel". You might ask yourself why do they show most photos of the outside beach are (and where was this beach anyway) and not current pics of the rooms. There should be some criteria on what could be called a resort.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Hawkjay
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel is incredibly old. The infrastructure is not good, the bathroom water has a bad smell. Staff is ok... bar attendants weren't good.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Yves B
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We (3 couples) had spent the weekend in Milwauke at Summerfest. On Sunday we made our way up to Sturgeon Bay for a day of sailing. We were there a couple days before July 4th and thought we'd end up in a chain hotel since we had no reservations. Luckily, the sailing guide knew about the Beach Harbor resort. They let us stay for one night instead of the normal minumum stays other places had. The resort was clean and the staff was friendly. The room had a small refrigerator and microwave. The beds were comfortable and the staff brought extra bedding quickly. It was late so the restaurant was no longer service food but we enjoyed the music and drinks in the sand by the firepit. We were all sad to leave the next day. I would definitely recommend this place if you aren't looking for a pricey upscale resort. We loved the laidback feel and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
The Ashbrooke
The Ashbrooke
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Beach Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!