“Nice and Convenient!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sturgeon Bay
Stone Harbor Resort
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Alabama
“Nice and Convenient!”
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I stayed Valentine's Day weekend with a friend and his partner. In my reviews I normally include what I paid per night, but I did not pay for this weekend away, so I can't include that in this review.

When we arrived to the resort check-in was extremely quick. We were in our room in less than five minutes. Our front-desk rep was very friendly and efficient.

The resort is very convenient to the downtown area. This is my first time to Sturgeon Bay (my friends had been several times), and I absolutely LOVE it. We did not eat or drink at the resort. The one night we were going to have a few cocktails the bar was packed, so we walked to this little hole in the wall called Cherry Lanes. It's a bowling alley/bar. We had the BEST time.

I wish there was more I could say about the place. Rooms were clean (although the hallway did have some type of sewage smell to it), upstairs neighbors were extremely noisy, other than that, great time. Although, this is a slow time of year for them, so my review may be different during peak season.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Hobe Sound, Florida
Reviewed 11 December 2008

Stayed here during a December weeknight on a business trip.

Room rate was fine, facility very quiet and pleasant, always a favorite. Fireplace in room was great. free & easy internet.

The restaurant is not overpriced, but the food is 100% lackluster. Erma, someone should actually inform the chef that salt, pepper and spices can be used in cooking. Waitstaff was friendly and there are no worries, but then again, they were not exactly busy.

I had stayed here about 7 years ago and thought the pillows were far to overstuffed.

Seven years is a long time and I forgot my previous pillow related discomfort. To my surprise - the place was in a time machine. The pillows are still overstuffed, hard and very uncomfortable - I ended up taking the spare blanket out of the closet and used that as a pillow - and finally got 3 hours sleep.

Of course the overhard mattress was none too comfy either. With the new standards seen in 3 star US based hotels, almost all the brands have new bedding packages and soft comfy pillows. I doubt the hotel can reasonably afford to spend that type of money for this very seasonal location, which is a true shame.

In the morning I could not make a local call from the room, despite following the written and verbal instructions (from the front desk) and being generally familiar with the use of hotel telephones. Oh well, it would have been 50 cents just to call across the street anyway ..........so I walked across the street before my shower and passed the message in unshaved person.

Since I could not go without sleep a second night of this long running multi-city business trip, I checked out.

With an off season occupancy rate of clearly less than 10%, I was charged a $20 "early checkout fee." Perhaps the management was aggrieved at the lost revenue and believes an off season "probably the only guest in the hotel" special early check out charge on a 2 nite stay is appropriate.

My small company spends approx. $1 million a year on international / domestic travel expenses. Ten of us are on the road for over 40 weeks a year - so we know hotels / airlines / restaurants of all stripes. We are not travel snobs, but we do know what works and what is not working for the business traveller.

The comments others have posted are accurate. A fine location, a beautiful building with nice comfy appointments, really truly a fabulous building for the local area and right on the water- but the finer details for guest service and comfort do need some attention.

As mentioned above, the cost / resulting revenue balance is probably a stretch for the available resources in the seasonal and ex-urban Door County.

Someone needs to take a look at Camden, Maine to see what this city and this hotel have the potential to become with a different business model.

Best wishes for good success, but until you change the pillows and mattresses in at least a few of the rooms, don't wait on our business traveller money to get there .............

Next business trip, it will be the AmeriSuites or one of the main brands present in Green Bay.

• Liked — facility and location
  • Disliked — HARD PILLOWS & MATTRESS
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank yachtsurvey
Iowa
Reviewed 22 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at Stone Harbor while on business. Looked beautiful from the outside but everything else left a lot to be desired. The service in both the bar and restaurant were awful. We tried to eat there for breakfast one morning, but finally left after almost 15 min. of sitting at a table and not even getting water or service. The worst part was the first day we were there, my husband accidently left his time piece on the nightstand and when we returned in the afternoon, it was gone. The management was not helpful in the least, after we both went to the front desk at diffferent times. There were no apologies, no one said I'll check into it and get back to you, no one cared at all! No one contacted us, no one followed up, we were told we would be hearing from the insurance company, but have not. We know who cleaned our room that morning, a mother-daughter team working the same floor. Who does that? allow family to work together without supervision? Service was non-existent. We will definitely not be recommending this hotel to anyone we know and will never be staying there ourselves.

Stayed August 2008
4 Thank dianelee60
Minneapolis
Reviewed 11 September 2008

We stayed at this hotel for four days in September. Our room was very nice. It was clean, which is my first concern. The room was spacious, with a beautiful view. The only bad thing was the bedroom was tiny. There was only one dim light, and the whirlpool took so much space that there was only room for one small bedside table. Other than the bedroom, I wouldn't change a thing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Clean, nice accomodations
  • Disliked — Bedroom too small
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rose-Grows
Waupaca, WI
Reviewed 6 September 2008

This is a large hotel for Door County. Its location is its best feature: on the water and in historic Sturgeon Bay. The Hotel has lots of amenities which a quaint B and B would lack: indoor/outdoor pool, small fitness room, bar, dining. I spent 2 nights here in a regular king size room and came away with the thought that this is a nice property that needs someone with hotel-hospitality experience to up it a notch or two.
At night loud drunked fools from the bar and catering events make tons of noise--no hotel employee or security around to keep the peace, but the hotel makes you sign a waiver at check in that if you are too loud they will ask you to leave!
The rooms need a linen upgrade. Get rid of the decades old bed speads with everyones germs. Even moderate priced Hitlons and Marriotts have done this. Buy better towels, the ones they have are sandpaper. Toilet amenitis are bland store brand types. How about a morning newspaper and bathrobes. The competitor B and Bs have robes. Front desk staff needs to attend customer service class. The are friendly but very dour in tone and demeanor. I checked out this morning and got a thank you but not a single inquiry about how my visit was. Mattresses need a softer pillow top they are old and every other hotel charging these rates has upgraded. Rooms are non smoking but the bar allows smokling all over. Hotel has 167 rooms but a fitness center the size of a closet with 4 machines.

Overall, this porperty is nice but needs that extra touch to take advantage of its location. My point of refernece is that I stay in hotels about 45 nights a year ranging in amenities from Countyard to Four Seasons. It markets itself as a conference center but regular rooms have tiny desks--where are businesspeople supposed to work? Small TVs are mounted on the walls like a hospital room. I think if Marriott, Hilton, or Starwood took over this place, a few cosmetic upgrades and traning of the staff in hospitality you would have a gem.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room amenities
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank WaupacaTraveller
dgreenpuffy
Reviewed 1 September 2008

The only good bartender was Jonathan! i remember his name because hes the only one who would serve anyone on time and with a smile and the restaurant and hotel staff was terrible also, especially the man with bad haircut that worked at night.

KEEP JON THE BARTENDER, get rid of everyone else and hire competent employees who will do the job right!!

Not a bad hotel but for 200 bucks it was a little much. The wallpaper in the bathroom was coming off.

Get it together guys!! cmon......its a nice building with okay but overpriced rooms, to many yuppie jimmy buffet loving rich dorks and horrible service.

Wont return....

• Liked — Jonathan the bartender and the chef
  • Disliked — other service was slow and incompetent and way overpriced
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank dgreenpuffy
De pere
Reviewed 6 June 2008

We went for the "Sisterhood" weekend and had so much fun. The place was gorgeous and everything was well organized. Nancy is a gem and the fashion show was terrific,

Stayed April 2008
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
#16 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Stone Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!