“Am I in a pole shed with cheap wine”
Review of Red Oak Winery

Red Oak Winery
Ranked #12 of 43 things to do in Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Am I in a pole shed with cheap wine”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I really enjoyed the person doing the tasting. I like to start out positive, but now to the meat and potatoes, or shall I say the wine and oyster crackers. For $5.00 I really wanted to taste at least one wine that was good. None here. We have done dozen's of tastings...free and not free. I don't know what their old location looked like but this one is horrible. It looks like a pole shed outside my dad's farm. The wines left a lot to be desired. They are quite spendy $25.00 to $50.00 a bottle and I have had better for $12.00. I was joking that palette must not be sophisticated enough for their wines, but I know that this really isn't true. The wines are very true to their description...the one that boasts hints of tobacco really tastes like you are eating a cigarette (maybe the barrel was toasted too much), etc...etc...Out of all of the winery tours you have to choose from, I don't recommend this one!!

wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun time”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

we stopped here and did a few samples staff was great and very helpful. We ended up buying a few bottles

Watertown, WI
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Not terrible, but not worth the stop”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stopped here as part of the Wisconsin Wine Co-op tour. The wines were ok, and pricier than we felt they were worth. VERY limited on sweeter wines. Price to sample the wines seemed high for what you get, and the staff was not very "customer friendly". More interested in the TV show.

1 Thank Watertown_Traveler
Hartland, Wisconsin
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fabulous Winery”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our visit to this winery the best out of all our winery visits in Door County! Although the outside building was less than inviting, we loved the decor and the inviting feeling we received by Jan when we arrived. Jan was extremely friendly and informative about the wines. There is a five dollar charge for tasting, but it is well worth it. Other wineries in the area charge and give you very little wine. Barely enough to assess them, but this was not the case here. Figure it this way, anywhere you go, it will cost you a minimum six dollars for ONE glass of wine that you may not even know if you like in a restaurant. At Red Oak, you get five tastes of any wines you would like including their port which is OUTSTANDING! We also found out from Jan that they are moving their facilities to a new location on Hwy 42, which will be more convenient and easier to find than going downtown. My husband and I also love the hometown feel of this winery versus the high production wineries that are very impersonal!

Visited August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The wine of your choosing”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

More wine tasting with a good selection of imported and domestic wines. One could make a weekend of just touring the wine facilities.

Visited July 2012