“Fun stay and great location!”

Holiday Music Motel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We left the friendly, comfortable atmosphere of The Holiday Musical Motel this morning. We enjoyed our peaceful stay very much. Our first floor room was clean, nicely decorated, convenient, comfortable and quiet. The motel in general was decorated nicely! A nice selection of food items are available for breakfast. We had the pleasure of visiting with various, friendly employees and others staying at the motel. Sturgeon Bay was a good, quiet location and we enjoyed the day drive to the other villages farther north. Should we have the opportunity to return our plans would be to stay at the same motel! We loved it and the price was right.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Want to be in the thick of things and sleep in the most comfortable beds possible? The Holiday Music Motel is your place. I stayed on the 2nd floor (having read previous reviews). Quiet and relaxing.
Those are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! Usually I toss and turn when staying overnight but I zonked out almost immediately. Between the mattress and the pillows it is heaven.
Breakfast is self-serve. Lots of baked goods/breads as well as cereal and fruit available. Juice and milk in the fridge. Coffee on the counter and a hot water pot is right next to it. BONUS -- a water cooler. How nice to just fill up my water jug for my travels up and down 42!
Walk out the door on 3rd Ave and you have so many restaurants and stores right there. I had lunch and dinner right in my backyard. :D
Easy on and off when traveling around Door County.
I don't have a dog, but I noticed a couple of people who had theirs. Tails a wagging and people smiling. Great place!
There is a public walk right across the street if you want to walk along the harbor.
I would DEFINITELY recommend staying here. The people are friendly and the location is perfect.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JLK2012
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was just at this Hotel last week. Here is the deal:

1.From the outside it looks kind of like an old-timey hotel from days gone by. Like the kind you don't expect much from.

2. Then you get inside and you're like..whoa. I mean WHOA. DOOD. It's like you've walked into a yesteryear hotel IN A GOOD WAY. Like vintage decor, cool vibe. Like totally right-on.

3. The room was very clean. Like-really super duper spotless clean. The aesthetic of the room was also superlative. Like I felt like I was in the 50s/60s. Except-the bed didn't have one of those cheesy comforters that you see on TV shows-and they put a black light up to it and see all sorts of creepy stuff. It's like a comforter out of a fancy hotel. White, comfortable. The bed had a nice padding. I had to sleep next to an annoying relative, but I'm sure I would have gotten great sleep if that weren't the case.

4. The people there were really cool, and cool looking too. They were nice and had a rockin' vibe just like I like. They were helpful and friendly.

5. The location was great-just a short walk from downtown Sturgeon Bay and anything you might need. I really loved that.

6. This hotel was recently rated one of the '10 Best Retro Motels in the USA' by USA Today. This rating is well deserved. I mean-down to the last detail this hotel rocked the retro vibe. So cool and unique. So decent and wonderful.

7. I look forward to staying here again when I come up to see the leaves change. Sturgeon Bay is the perfect place to stay in Door County. It's like a quiet respite from the touristy other parts. I'm even considering moving to this area after my stay.

8. PS. This place also hosts some music festivals and stuff. This wasn't happening during our stay-but I find this quite interesting!

Room Tip: Since this is bound to be on more travelers lists after the USA Today rating/review-I would suggest...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were a little hesitant about booking this motel, but what a delight it turned out to be! Art deco furniture and accessories. Real ceramic coffee mugs and coffee 24 hours a day --amazing and most welcome. Great location allowed us to walk to wonderful restaurants, bars, shops. Loved this gem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce B
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have been meaning to write this for the past 2 years. Although this was not a "happy" time for us the trip had to be made. My brother was dying of prostate cancer and the trip needed to be made to make arrangements with him for his final days. The first time we took our babies-2 maltese sister puppies, with us. They promised they would find someone to stay with them in our room and take them out when needed. I couldn't believe this, but when we got there the girl was called and she came to get to know the dogs and stayed with them as long as we needed her too and we were told not to worry about how long it would be. This meant the world to us! Now we could concentrate on the matter for which we came an not worry about them. After all, we made the long trip by car from AZ to WI. *****star recommendation from us!!

Room Tip: Less noise on the top floor on right side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've been meaning to write this review for awhile. My boyfriend booked a room in late 2013 for Friday February 14th of 2014! We have stayed here before and love the place so he thought this would be the perfect Valentine's Day event for us. As the time got closer we realized that this weekend was also "Love on Holiday" weekend. Which meant that the motel and town would be swarming with musicians that would be coming up to the motel and this town to write music and perform that music around town. We knew that meant that the motel would be reserved for the songwriters. My boyfriend called a week or so before we planned to arrive to ask about our room. I was sure they had made a mistake and we would not have a room. I was right. They had made a mistake and allowed us to book the room but they were committed to honoring the reservation! We were fortunate to be booked into the motel full of welcoming, friendly songwriters. As we walked down the hall to our room we were greeted with hellos, smiles and beautiful sounds of music coming from bedrooms. We were warned that our room was right next to one of the makeshift recording studio's and it may keep us awake. No worries. We were in bed by midnight. Only a few songwriters were there when we returned. Most were still in the bars making music! We had a nice chat with the songwriters who had returned from the bars. They seemed to had heard that we were going to be there- saying something like "oh, your THE couple" like we were the celebrities! We left by 10 AM and the songwriters were still all snug in their beds!

We were so impressed that the owners of this motel would honor their commitment to our reservation. Although we certainly didn't belong among the talent that was staying at the motel that weekend, we were warmly welcomed and accepted by those who we encountered.

We would recommend this motel to anyone who wants to stay in a motel that has great accommodations, interesting people and honorable motel owners.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very unique hotel, and love the retro decorating. The beds were amazingly comfortable...clearly not from the 50s! We stayed on the first floor and did deal with paper thin ceilings from the room above. Luckily they went to bed at a reasonable time. The room was a bit small, super clean except for the carpet...lots of wear and tear and stains. I noticed some of the other rooms that I walked by when they were being cleaned had newer carpet in them. The bathroom was impeccably clean...you could literally eat off the floor. Wonderful shower with lots of hot, soft water. Loved the soap dispensers! Would stay here again, but probably only for one night to take in the experience. Too small for a long stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
#16 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Holiday Music Motel? Share your experiences!