“Cute, clean & cozy with excellent service!”

Holiday Music Motel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
madison, wi
“Cute, clean & cozy with excellent service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

I visited in the "quiet" season and stayed one Saturday night. My room was clean and comfortable and the entire place was charmingly decorated. The front desk staff were very helpful, although I did have to track someone down in the morning to give me a receipt for my stay (the staff is small and it seems the front desk doubles as housekeeping).

In the room, I had difficulty working the heating/air conditioning unit, but fortunately, they have the whole motel wired so that the staffers can control each room from the front desk. I called to say I was having troubles, and they fixed it for me remotely right away.

There were some guys staying just down the hall from me who were a little noisy, but I found that if I left the fan on in the room all night to create some white noise, it also drown out the noise coming from down the hall. Once I figure that out, I slept soundly and the beds/pillows were comfortable although the bed was a little softer than I'm used to.

I also appreciated that in the rooms (as well as throughout the motel) there were both trash and recycling receptacles. It's great to see they're making an effort toward a "green" atmosphere. It's rare in my travel experience to find a motel that even makes an attempt at recycling. They also use "real" silverware, plates and cups in the continental breakfast rather than relying on styrofoam and plastic.

Great place to stay at a more than reasonable cost. If I come through Sturgeon Bay again, this will be the first place I look for a room!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

I would never want to stay anywhere else while visiting this area. I have never seen such a clean motel. The entire staff was very accommodating. The rooms are small but not cramped. The beds are new and very comfy. The pillows, all four of them, on one queen bed were all high quality. I'm very spoiled at home with nice sheets and was not disappointed with any of the linens. I enjoyed hanging out in the lobby. The staff felt like family. The price is an absolute steal. That may also contribute to the enjoyment of the stay. Don't pass this place by.

• Stayed November 2010
jacksonville, alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

We loved the Holiday Motel. The people were very friendly, the rooms clean, beds comfortable, good breakfast selection, and you can't beat the price. We were told the motel had a fire a few years back and they decided to go totally retro with the renovations. We thought they did a great job! If you are looking for a Marriott or Comfort Inn type experience, this might not be for you, but if you like quirky, you'll enjoy your stay here. They managed to do the retro thing without compromising on quality and comfort.
Rooms were small, bathrooms were basic; the only two things I can think of to say that aren't positive.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alabamagirl2
Evansville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

My wife and I stayed there. The decor was cool, some sort of art deco, some mid-century modern stuff. Modern bath fixtures. You can tell they poured a lot of work into this effort. The tile bathroom floors and walls were just like the lav's in my elementary school, which would have been similar vintage to this, so I just loved it.
Comfortable bed and HUGE pillows.
I read another review where the reviewer was wondering if the desk personnel could have helped them bring in their gear, and believe it or not the nice lady working the desk did just that, although I declined.
There are a few things that are left to do, although I am very detail-oriented; things like rusty door hinges on the bathrooms for example, but nothing really major. I commend their efforts and would definitely recommend this place to anyone!
Desk help was spot-on with her dinner recommendations as well, and very easy walk to nearby dining spots.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Rather well located : you have major restaurants within walking distance.
The motel looks very typical with the retro furniture : so, it was very nice.
People welcome you warmly and the service is ok.
The room we had was clean, nice and quiet. The A/C perfectly worked (that was a very hot summer).
Breakfast was a pleasant moment with the kids (2&6) : a surprise! You feel like home actually.
Well, the general atmosphere is cool and relax (you can play ukelele and guitar in the reception area!) and that was a very good time

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

Stayed for three nights as a base on our first trip to Door County and believe I found a gem. In searching internet hoping for "tweener season" (between summer sun and fall foliage) vacancies, I found Holiday Hotel as one of the few with availability at very reasonable rates for two rooms. While not luxurious it was very comfortable and clean, a real value for the price. While the nearby "steel bridge" landmark was under construction and there were no music events scheduled during my visit, we found location to work well both as to walks to a variety of good restaurants and museums in Sturgeon Bay and easy day drives to all points of Door County. Nice new LCD TVs and free wifi in room, which is good since the only real "public space" is the small but funky fun breakfast nook (which served a minimal continental breakfast) and a half-lobby off check-in desk. One nitpick: no coffee machine in room, and had to wait until 7 am for coffee when breakfast nook opened. Still, a very fun place to stay given Fifties motif and friendly staff, and priced below other traditional motels of higher "star" ranking.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
viroqua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

Staff was friendly and helpful. My room was the best of 2 worlds:, 1950s desk, lamp, chair, curtains, picture on wall; modern bed and bathroom. Room had a frig, and there was a microwave I could use in the breakfast diner. My room window opened. Recylcing and trash containers in room and heat/air with modern thermostat. Downtown location meant I could walk to food and situated by the river gave me scenic setting, yet it was quiet at night. I liked best that the motel has a theme tastefully realized. It is not sterile. Its size is human scale. What I liked least? Hauling all my work stuff in! Hmm, could the desk clerk have helped?

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Newport Resort
Newport Resort
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Holiday Music Motel? Share your experiences!