“Night stay”

Best Western Maritime Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel was very clean along with the room. The staff was very helpful and the whirlpool was nice after a day long motorcycle ride. The following is because they want a Minimum 200 Characters sDfovihjae;4otujq dsrkgfuhq3l4io5tl;9hdrfvbn SWERFNJKQE456THN VRERODEGJNWQ4;5KTNBN GQAE54POTHTNBG

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian K

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Last minute hotel reservations for even a Sun-Fri week night in in Door County in July aren't plentiful, so I ended up at the Best Western. It's a very busy, family-oriented motel. My room was damp and musty, and I think the AC may have been malfunctioning. I won't go back unless I don't have a choice again. There simply aren't yet enough upscale options in Sturgeon Bay, but hopefully that's changing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sydeee
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed at the Maritime Inn several times. What many people don't know is that this place was built for the USN. They built minesweepers at Peterson Builders, which is now gone and the commissioning crews stayed here. I don't think it was a full blown motel until after the last minesweeper was launched. Anyway...its showing its age in places. The neighborhood is a little odd, there is a large sort of warehouse across the street, the front faces a side street. There is a McDonalds and WalMart in walking distance so you can find anythign you may have forgotten close by but the good restaurants are a short drive away which is ok. The rooms are dated, but the beds we had were comfortable. Roof was clean. AC unit was not too loud, all of these units that stick out of the walls are loud to some degree in every motel. The in room refrigerator was louder and we simply turned it off no big deal. TV was a little small ( 20") for the size of the room which is LARGE and the remote control would do everything but change the channel. It would work sporadically and when it felt the need. We checked on on a Sunday at 4PM and they were still cleaning rooms and there was a line of people waiting to check in. Only one guy behind the desk and I felt bad for him. I think it was a large group of older folks. There were also many motorcyclists staying, not the chopper types but the big touring bike riders. I went back out about 5PM to see about a new remote for the TV but the lobby was still filled with check ins and people coming back not able to get into their rooms so I just skipped that and made do watching whatever channel it locked up on. I was there to rest, not to watch TV really. Internet worked great. I saw previous comments about the pool so I took a look. The pool was clear but the hot tub was the color of skim milk and was covered with head of foam so I took a pass. In the morning, the staff was very friendly and the breakfast was good. This is a Best Western, not a restaurant so think accordingly. There were scrambled eggs, sausage and waffles on this day along with the usual toast, cereal and pastries. I'm not a big breakfast eater so it was ok for me. All in all it was a comfortable stay in a clean place. I'm not sure how corporate budgets their locations for money but they could spend a few dollars here on upgrades. But the local staff i think does a great job and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Two story, no elevator. If you are older or have trouble with stairs, ask for a first floor room. Al...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JohnS51
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel probably 7 times over the last three years as we have a major customer just a mile away. this was the first choice the first time coming to visit our customer, and have never had any reason to look elsewhere. the property is well maintained and the rooms are just fine for the price range. during the summer months, it does seem that the rates jump a fair amount, so do your homework through various sites to get the best price. The major disappointment on this trip was our finding that the local restaurant/bar directly across the street has been torn down and replaced by a chain pharmacy. Unbelievable that this local treasure is gone. I did find out that the chef has moved to a sports bar just a couple of blocks away so the excellent food is still available. Anyone working the desk at the Best Western Maritime Inn will be able to direct you to where he is now cooking. If you find yourself in Sturgeon Bay, there are numerous national hotel chains to choose from but I can say that the Maritime Inn is always the go-to for our company.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 days and after our visit, you couldn't pay me to stay here again. Upon arrival, our non-smoking room reeked of smoke. When we told the guy at the desk, he told us that the hotel was completely booked and couldn't move us to a different room. I find this really hard to believe.

Continental breakfast was horrible and inconsistent. Hard boiled eggs are offered, but you really have to snatch them up when you can and bananas are the same way. It's pretty pathetic when you have to squirrel away eggs and bananas so the rest of your family has the chance to have something other that white bread, biscuits, cream gravy and sugary pastry for breakfast.

Pool was nice only 1 day because the water was a good temperature...after that it was freezing cold. Our biggest complaint about the pool was how people were often bringing food in (and leaving their trash behind) and bringing alcohol into the pool/hot tub area. Food and alcohol violate the posted rules. When we told the desk staff about rowdy drunks in the pool, the girl there said she didn't know what the posted rules at the pool even were and she would tell someone about our concerns. You know she likely didnt do anything!

Overall, there are many places to stay in Door County. Take a pass on this Best Western Maritime Inn!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank cosada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We selected the BW Sturgeon Bay b/c of location and price -- and it was a great idea! The hotel was clean, the staff entirely friendly (especially the lady with a line of Sunday arrivals -- calm and unruffled). My 11 and 12 YO's really enjoyed the pool, and the hot tub was great, too :) Breakfast was plentiful, filling and the staff friendly. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

clean rooms, great breakfast bar. a good value for the price. quiet area and close to Door County. Although there was no elevator, all rooms were very accessible with wide stairwells. Staff was great too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
#16 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay
Somerset Inn & Suites
Somerset Inn & Suites
#3 of 8 in Ephraim

Been to Best Western Maritime Inn? Share your experiences!