“Gracious hostess who serves delicious breakfasts!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sturgeon Bay
Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 15 Sturgeon Bay B&B and Inns
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“Gracious hostess who serves delicious breakfasts!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Garden Gate for a quick weekend get-away. First, the location was unique - near a company that repairs ships (I love ships!) We checked in around 7:00 and shortly after our arrival, Robin (our hostess) was already setting out a delicious cake on a buffet that sits on the same level as the guest rooms. This is also where she sets out coffee/tea in the morning. Plus there is a small fridge at the buffet that Robin stocks with a mix of pop. The next morning, we had great conversation with the 3 other couples that were staying there - all while enjoying one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time. I'm high maintenance on my coffee - her coffee was so good! My husband and I agreed on that! Before we set out for the day, Robin gave us a tip on how to avoid the traffic going north into Door County. Fabulous! That night, she set out another one of her scrumptious cakes. In addition, because it was my birthday, she had given me a card, cupcakes, and a bottle of cherry wine! And, of course, another great breakfast with conversation the next morning. A gracious hostess really adds to a weekend at a B&B!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary and first family vacation with our 8 month old daughter. We wanted to visit Door County because it was not too far of a drive for our daughter to handle. I always wanted to stay at a Bed and Breakfast, but found most places did not welcome children. But, the Garden Gate B&B stated that children were welcome, so I contacted the owner (Robin) and booked our stay for two nights. While on the phone with her I had just casually mentioned the reason for our trip. When we arrived, Robin greeted us warmly and gave us a tour of the main level. When we checked in to our room, we were very surprised to see an anniversary card, wine and heart cookies from Robin. That was so incredibly sweet of her! A pack n play was also in the room so our daughter could have a place to sleep (so we didn't need to bring anything for her). We stayed in the Cottage Rose room and really enjoyed our stay. The bed was very comfortable, the decor was very unique, and the room was more spacious then expected. The room was equipped with a tv and DVD player, and there was a wide selection of movies to choose from in the hall. Also in the hallway was a refrigerator that was stocked with sodas and a microwave for popping popcorn. In the evenings Robin would leave some delicious desserts for everyone to enjoy. The first night of our stay was a wonderful fresh baked chocolate cake. The second night we could enjoy some leftover cake from the night before, or try some of the new fresh baked Halloween cookies. I loved the cake so I was just going to have that and pass on the cookies. However, my husband convinced me to try a cookie, and I am sooooo glad I did. It was incredible!! I ended up sneaking another cookie and mentioned how good they were at the breakfast table the next morning. Again, Robin was so sweet and said she had more cookies in the kitchen and sent everyone home with a bagged cookie. I admit that mine didn't make it too far out the door before I devoured it. :) And on the topic of breakfast, the food was awesome! You did not walk away from the table hungry. Each morning our breakfast included a yummy homemade muffin and yogurt (different selection each day), along with orange juice and water as well as milk, coffee or tea if desired. My husband is a VERY picky eater, so I was a little nervous if he would eat any of the breakfast, but he really did enjoy it and tried everything on his plate. The breakfasts started out with everyone coming to the table and introducing themselves. Robin made sure there was a highchair at the head of the table for our daughter, and at one point even rocked our daughter in her arms when she was getting fussy so that we could eat our meal. The first mornings breakfast was apple french toast with sausage on the side, and the next day was a hash brown quiche. Both were wonderful. We really enjoyed our stay and before we left, Robin took our photo on the stairway. Even though this was our first experience with a Bed and Breakfast, I have a feeling that it will be hard to top. I will definitely recommend the Garden Gate B&B to friends and family visiting Door County. We really enjoyed our stay and Robin's wonderful hospitality.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, the Cottage Rose room is a great choice. It is spacious and ther...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dana C
Holmen, WI
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Garden Gate B & B was our first ever B & B.
EXACTLY what I had pictured. We stayed in the Lavendar Room for our 10 year wedding anniversary. It was so fitting to our occasion and the innkeeper, Robin was wonderful! She went above and beyond. She even gave us an anniversary card with some delicious wine. Her cooking was amazing. She was very welcoming from the moment we stepped into her B & B. We loved her stories and getting to know her. She was very professional as well as very caring, she makes you feel very comfortable. She has so much thought into every detail. Thank you Robin for everything, we will definitely be back in the future.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Garden Gate was a great place to stay at while visiting Door County. The innkeeper, Robin, is very friendly and gave us good information on scenic and traffic free routes to get around the area. She was very attentive to our food preferences (we are vegetarian). Her sumptuous breakfasts were a treat and kept us full until afternoon. She even packed muffins for us that were a welcome snack after lunch. The room was clean and comfortable (we stayed in the Garden Suite). In all, we had a great time and will not hesitate to stay there the next time we visit the area.

1 Thank A K
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Robin was very welcoming and made us feel like family. She shared how she got the place and about her family. Breakfast was amazing, and although I didn't want to get out of the comfortable bed (we stayed in the lavender room) I got up because of the breakfast. The cherry french toast was to die. Next time I am in the area, I will try to stay with Robin again and will have have already recommended the Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast with my friends and family. When we arrived, she asked if there was anything we were restricted to food wise, so she was willing to accommodate our needs if need be. Robin is such a sweet heart and always makes sure that you have a good experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank warhawk2012
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The rooms were immaculate, the breakfasts outstanding. Robin made you feel very welcome, plus she is very knowledgeable about the area, and can tell you about any point of interest you would like to see or attraction you are interested in. We felt like we were visiting an old friend, but better. Fresh coffee brought upstairs in the morning and an evening dessert waiting for you.
We loved the beautiful victorian style of the house which has been perfectly retained. We would definitely consider staying again on our next trip to Sturgeon Bay.
Sharon & Lonnie

1 Thank Sharon K
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Garden Gate. It was very clean and the food was fabulous! Robin was very friendly and paid attention to detail. She even left wine and cookies for our anniversary! The Victorian home is nicely decorated with delicious desserts each evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
#5 of 15 in Sturgeon Bay
Diplomat Bed & Breakfast
Diplomat Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 15 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!