“Great atmosphere and friendly people”

Donny's Glidden Lodge
Ranked #1 of 87 Restaurants in Sturgeon Bay
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were looking for a gathering place for friends from North and South of Sturgeon Bay and decided to visit one of our reliable favorites-the Glidden Lodge. It was a busy Friday night but we were able to get a reservation on Tuesday for the weekend. We love the "lodge" environment and the casual friendly attitude of the wait staff. Our group decided on a wine and it was tasty and served at a good temperature. We asked for the upscale wine glasses and were able to enjoy their contribution to the wine! Everyone was satisfied with their meals but I think the best of the night was the filet mignon which my friend ordered and gave me a taste-so flavorful and tender! Several of us had various fish dishes which were good. We adjourned to the bar area after our meal and continued to receive good service. Great view of the lake!

1  Thank Becky V

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I found an ad for this restaurant in the Door County tourism magazine. I'm so glad we stopped here. The atmosphere is great - we had such a pretty view of the water from our table. We tried the prime rib that was on special and the steak and shrimp. Everything tasted great! We went on a Thursday evening and had to wait about 40 minutes, which was fine. I would recommend calling for a reservation though, just to save on the wait time. The bar area is very nice and the service in the bar and dining room was top notch. I would highly recommend going here.

1  Thank travelchiks
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We went in with our two kids. For those of you worried about a place with "too many" kids, this isn't it, but they treated us very nicely and the waitress was very professional and patient. The view is stunning and the drive in is charming as well- this spot is out a ways from Sturgeon Bay proper.
The food was excellent. My wife had the trout special and I enjoyed the NY Strip ("gliddenized" with carmelized onions and a wine sauce). Boy were they excellent! We both finished our entrée and were quite full when finished.
We shared a couple of deserts with the kids- the cheesecake was really good as well.
Soup and salad bar included with adult meals was nice - there's not a ton of selection but everything is kept quite fresh and clean. The soups were both fresh and looked very good as well.
All in all, this has been the best place by far that we've dined in Door County; this restaurant easily stands on its own, not just other Door County fare. We're glad we decided to drive the extra couple of miles for friendly service, professional, caring cooking, and a great atmosphere.
Also, I have to say as seems common to Door County the food prices are pretty reasonable. 2 entrees including a steak, drinks, plus 2 kids' meals and 2 desserts for a hundred bucks... well, it's be at least $150 or more in Minneapolis.

3  Thank ReverendDan
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We chose this place for a special birthday dinner based on other's reviews. Both my husband and I felt there was something missing. The place is gorgeous and romantic, but our waitress was unfriendly and several of the staff seemed a little grumpy. Both of our meals were just average. Based on this experience I would probably not go back and would not recommend to friends.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We went for our anniversary dinner. The place is very beautiful. Stone fireplace, stone accents, romantic. The service was wonderful, very attentive. The food weas great. Small soup and salad bar, but very fresh. I had the filet, done perfectly and fork tender. My husband had the night's special, mustard crusted lamb chops with a merlot sauce...he was in love with them. They were also done perfectly, I tasted them, and they were very good, again done perfectly, and the sauce was wonderful. The desserts looked so yummy, but we didn't have room for another bite. Highly recommend, even tough it is off the beaten path a bit, from Sturgeon Bay (where we were staying) it was definetly worth the trip.

1  Thank Ariesvee