“Donny's doesn't disappoint - still excellent”

Donny's Glidden Lodge
Ranked #1 of 86 Restaurants in Sturgeon Bay
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Donny's doesn't disappoint - still excellent”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were here in 2012 and came two or three times then because the service and food were so excellent. This time we chose Wednesday night to come back because they serve German food as the special. Oh my gosh. It was delicious. I had tenderloin tips and my husband had the sausage platter. The service, atmosphere, food, view, are all wonderful. Soft playing music in the background...what a nice change.

This is one of our very favorite restaurants in Door County. Reservations are recommended.

2 Thank Barbara M

Madison, Wisconsin
“Nickel-Dime Policy Spoils the Experience”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have been to the Glidden Lodge about 10 times over the past years when in Door County. We always love the ambiance, particularly the location on the shore of Lake Michigan -- can't beat it. We ask for a window table and get one nearly every time. The menu is very complete but we seem to gravitate to the same items: my wife loves the Signature Dinner-The Glidden, a Black Angus tenderloin with onions topped with Gorgonzola and a merlot sauce. I have always loved the pan fried panko encrusted walleye. This time, however, I was tempted by the battered lake perch. That was a mistake. The fish looked like they were the frozen variety, generously battered with corn meal (?) in the factory. The covering was overwhelming and there was no tender fish taste. I only ate half of my order and even that was too much. My wife's steak was beyond perfection, but they need to work on having a perch fry without the "bar food" quality. A definite plus for the GL is that every meal includes the salad bar and choice of two soups. The pepperpot chili was excellent as always, and the salad bar, although small, was fresh.
But what spoils the experience? Not a biggie, for sure, but why do it? We generally order soft drinks with our meals, and it is irritating that they charge for refills. The Cokes come from the bar soda gun, and I know from business experience, that each serving costs less than 15 cents. The Glidden is not a hang-out place where anyone would sit and suck down multiple sodas. Yet, the waitress made it clear we'd be charged for refills. Again, why would you irritate your customers with this, when the cost to the business if almost nil? As it is often said, "it's not the cost, it's the principle of the thing."

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank RoadWriter777
“Recommended dinner option”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Glidden Lodge restaurant is a wonderful option tucked away in the woods on the lake shore. Beautiful views. The food was fabulous. They have a soup and salad bar that has homemade soups everyday. The food was cooked to order and the service was prompt and courteous. The ambiance was a bit upper class, but people were dressed casual comfort. We will return here when make make the trip back to Door County.

2 Thank Victoria S
“Good food and gorgeous view”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a very nice place to have dinner. It's on a "long and winding road" for sure, but the meal was delicious and the view of the lake really lovely, so it's worth seeking it out. I agree with other reviewers that the salad bar is unremarkable, but it makes the meal a better value. Several of us ordered perch, while other members of our group ordered mahi mahi and trout, and we all enjoyed our fish. The desserts were excellent and they had a great selection. I wish I could have ordered one of everything on the display tray.

We went for the early bird special, and the waitress seemed to be in a bit of a rush to get us in and out. She was nice but I could tell she was trying to hurry things along, probably to get the table freed up for the next seating. You need to make reservations for the early bird special, and I would recommend reservations no matter what time you want to eat.

One other dissatisfying note is that other parties around us were really boisterous, and the acoustics made it a bit unpleasant and difficult to hear the people at our own table at times.

Waterford, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“delicious”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Food was delicious, and the service was great too. Had a table by the window, and it was a beautiful scene of the lake. Best dinner of our trip !

Visited July 2014