“Quiet comfort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 15 Sturgeon Bay B&B and Inns
Waupaca, WI
“Quiet comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2007

I have been here a number of times--usually in the off season. It is very quiet and folks are left to their own devices. this is not a group gathering guest house where everyone sits around and states where they are from and what they do. this is a quiet couples place fairly centrally located. Good dining options of all price ranges are nearby. I stayed in the loft room which is very cozy. the only minus is the bed is a low platform type due to the ceiling. They only have 6 channels of TV in the main guest house--but i appreciated not watching the tube so much. Afternoon wine and cheese would be something i wish they had, but the cookies and breakfast are nice. Owners are nice and helpful and really try to stay out of the picture--leaving guests to a nice quiet romantic weekend. This is a great place to stay as long as you understand it is not going to provide entertainment--that's for you to do.

• Liked — location, quiet
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Chanticleer in July, 2006. We've already rebooked for our anniversary this July! The suite we stayed in was tastefully decorated . . . the bed luxurious! Breakfasts are a private affair . . . welcome if you're not interested in socializing before morning coffee! The baked goods (muffins, breakfast loaf, cookies) were outstanding, and plentiful. Be aware that the inn is somewhat off the beaten path. We spent little time in Sturgeon Bay, but were not bothered by the drive up the peninsula. It rained buckets the days we were there, but the pastoral scenery is lovely, and very well maintained. Such a treat to open the curtains and find sheep out your window! We've been at many Door County B&B's, and this is by far our favorite! Enjoy!

• Liked — Beautiful suites!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything . . . a few toiletries would have been nice.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kmkaull1
Madison, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2007

This was my fourth visit to this guest house and although the rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated, I must say there are some problems that made my stays at the Chanticleer less than phenomenal. First, after reading so may comments about the owners being so helpful, welcoming, and attentive, I was disappointed to meet only one of them for a brief 2 minutes when I was collecting breakfast. He seemed very busy so there wasn't much time to do much more than exchage greetings and pleasantries. I had similar interactions during previous visits.
Second, the inn is not a culinary experience, not that that it pretends to be. I agree with the one negative review in this series that in the afternoons "slice and bake" cookies, some plain fruit and hershey's bite sized chocolates are offered. Breakfasts consist of warm mediocre muffins and sliced fruit with whipped cream in a picnic basket. They are fine, but really nothing memorable.
Third, the direct TV remote wasn't programmed--frustrating. Calls to the front desk prompted a visit, but the problem wasn't fixed.
Fourth, I stayed in a cabin this last time and housekeeping is done only every other day. Again, no big deal, but at $200/night in the off-season, I expected a little more.
There is not much of a public gathering place, which I think is nice to have in a guest house, but perhaps this is not important to some. The house itself is just outside of Sturgeon Bay which could be a plus (more services available, more year-round, etc.) or a minus (most of the more unique touristy spots, stores, parks, restaurants, etc. are further north which is more scenic as well).
On the plus side, the rooms I've stayed in both in the main house, barn, and the Tamarack cabin were all beautifully built and decorated in rustic style with some special local antiques. All very clean and comfortable. The Meadows suite is particularly spectacular. The hotubs are oversized and the jets work well. Rooms have gas fireplaces. A pool and sauna is available in summer. The house is surrounded by sheep and some farm animals which is a nice touch. Trails around the property allow you to explore fields and wooded areas. My cabin was well stocked with kitchen utensils, appliances and tableware.
Overall, I would recommend this guest house to those who are content to be left alone and wish to relax in a lovely, well- appointed room. Those who want more of a B&B experience, desire more interaction with hosts, or be a little closer to the tourist action may be more comfortable in one of the county's towns.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The breakfasts
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Madpepe
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2007

I found this great place on the internet. I was very impressed with the photos on the Chanticleer's website. I especially like animals and was looking forward to seeing the ponies and sheep at the Inn.

Upon arrival my partner and I entered the quiet common area of the barn and as we had arrived later than expected a nice fire was burning away in the fireplace. My stomach took me right to the homemade chocolate chip cookies. They were so good I had to return to the common area every afternoon for more.

We stayed in the Grand and really enjoyed having a wood burning fireplace. I was able to tour some of the other rooms and cabins during our stay and found we had the only wood burning fireplace. All the others were gas. The room was very comfortable, quiet and clean, amazingly clean.

One of the owners checked us in and gave us great recommendations for dinners. He asked us what type of place we wanted and recommended several nice places and even made reservations for us as well as gave us directions and a local map.

Our first morning there breakfast was served to our room promptly at the time requested and all I have to say is, I asked for the recipe. We had stuffed french toast, strawberries and cream, coffee and orange juice. The next morning we had homemade muffins.

We really enjoyed our time in Door County. We spent one day hitting the antique malls and that afternoon having a facial for me and a massage for my partner at Options Hair Salon. A definite must for relaxing and pampering yourself. The next day we just lounged in our room using the hot tub and taking a relaxing walk on the hiking trails. We were even lucky enough to see some wild turkeys. Did not see any deer but other guests have I guess.

On our walk the ponies followed us around their pasture. I had to give them an apple as they were so cute and friendly. A little spoiled I think.

A romantic place to get away from it all, on a beautiful property and convenient to many shops in Sturgeon Bay.

• Liked — the property
  • Disliked — no satelite TV in our room
  • Tips/Secrets — if you want to watch TV bring DVDs, and don't be afraid to ask as the owners are very hospitable
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ILive4vacati0ns
Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2006

Sept. 2006
Our visit to this inn was a huge let down. Upon arrival...no one was in the inn....and when we did contact a young woman to get our key ........she seemed not to have a clue about much of anything!. We asked about the internet connection that we were told was in the room. .........not there( imortant for our business)........the TV.........yes, there but our was not working well......... we did not even have a blanket in our room...how strange! The rooms are very large and are decorated nicely.......I will say that bout this place. The photos on the interenet make you feel like you are going to visit a farm....not true........this is location five minutes from downtown Sturgeon Bay. It would have been nice if they would have had a printed map of the area..and some written personal recommendations for dinning. You were told there is a book on the table!
As you enter the Inn..it is dark........not a welcome feeling for us. Our breakfast arrived......on the(long) two days we were there.....always a large muffin....and some weird mixture in a bowl.....how about canned fruit cocktail with yogurt? Bad. The main area is small and you would never feel like you would gather there for anything. At night some slice and bake chocolate chip cookies with a bowl of candy and some apples are out for you to enjoy : ( There is no welconing coffee, tea or anything of that sort set out.If you want a bottle of water that will cost you 50 cents.
I went out to see the "pony" who by the way is muzzled....why? The pony was mentioned on the net.........so I would assume he is safe to see! The white horse sharing the pasture came charging towards me...I admit I did have an applebut I was holding it not eating it......... that was a bit scary.

Be advised this location is at the beginning of the bay ..and you will be driving everywhere you want to go( 20 -50 ) minutes ...that is if you want to go anywhere.........as basically it is a huge tourist area with a million toursit type stores,medicore restaurants, and
if it is raining........there is nothing to do!

This is an inn and an area I would not visit again........

• Liked — Large rooms and clean
  • Disliked — Over all lack of warm feeling...
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Rumpleteaser
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2006

We just returned from here, this evening. I don't usually write reviews, but this place was awesome. Just a perfect setting, with two of the nicest owners you would ever meet. Very clean, very private. We stayed in the stables suite. It is bigger that our apartment. Great touches, like choclate chip cookies in the afternoon.and wonderful homemade muffins for breakfast. just picture perfect. very peaceful and relaxing. I am very critical of hotels, but the Chanticleer Guest House was really beautiful. Enjoy

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2006

We stayed in a cabin at the Chanticleer and could not have been happier. Everything was perfect. The owners are awesome. We just stayed there this past weekend and already booked our next visit.

• Stayed March 2006
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Newport Resort
Newport Resort
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Chanticleer Guest House? Share your experiences!