“The perfect bed and breakfast atmosphere!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Little Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sturgeon Bay
Little Harbor Inn
Ranked #9 of 15 Sturgeon Bay B&B and Inns
“The perfect bed and breakfast atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The quiet ambiance and atmosphere was exactly what I expected when I was looking to book a bed and breakfast in Door County. All the small details made it extra personal. The view of the bay was beautiful. I requested a possible gluten free option for breakfast and the staff was more than happy to do this. It was great! I felt like I had my own private getaway, other reviews complained about the lack of staff around but I found not being bothered by the normal sounds of a standard hotel was very welcome. Excellent! We will be back next year!

1 Thank Kara1009

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

What we loved: the location, the view, the jacuzzi, the size of the room.

What we missed: the lack of staff when we arrived Saturday at 5 and for most of the two days we were there.

What grossed us out: dirty stain on towel (as mentioned by someone else).

What was disappointing: breakfast size and lack of variety. (Although what there was was freshly made.)

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

From the chilly welcome on arrival to the aloofness at checkout, this is definitely not the warm and welcoming inn you might expect from reading the website. The breakfast is a joke. One morning it was a little dish of applesauce, an inedible muffin that tasted like it came out of a box and a glass of OJ made from concentrate. The next morning we got a tiny dish of plain yogurt instead of the apple sauce - and the same muffin from the day before, but a day older! To make the breakfast experience even better, they start mowing like mad at 8 a.m. on both days. Imagine eating this scrumptious "breakfast" on the balcony outside your room, trying to enjoy the view of the bay, while some clown loudly blows grass clippings and exhaust in your direction. The room itself was large, but the queen size bed sagged in the middle, the one pillow we each got was flat as a pancake and the bed linens looked (and smelled) like they came from a flea market. My bath towel had some kind of huge disgusting stain on it, and when I went downstairs at 7:00 pm to see if I could get a fresh one and an extra pillow, the staff was gone for the day, leaving only a number to call if there was an emergency. We tried tge gas fireplace in our room, but it immediately filled it with the unpleasant odor of a furnace started for the first time. And when we shut it off, the internal blower kept running for hours, which wasn't exactly sleep-conducive. The common area downstairs smells like a nursing home, and if you park your car in the lot out back, be prepared to find it covered in dew and
grass clippings in the morning. At $169 for each night (Room 8), this place was a complete ripoff. I won't go back, that's for sure, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joshua V
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

My mom and I stayed two nights in Room 5 in August 2014. Overall, the place did not meet our expectations, but this review isn’t completely negative.

PROS:
- Price of the inn is signifcantly less than others in neighboring towns
- Views of the bay
- Large rooms
- Whirlpool tub and gas fireplace in room (did not use either in August!)
- Marshmallows available in the evening for roasting on a firepit close to the shore
- Located away from the hustle and bustle of concentrated tourist towns
- Comfortable bed

CONS:
- NO WIFI!!! This, coupled with no cell reception, rendered us unable to communicate with family at home nor unable to get internet access even with our smartphones while at the inn.
- Outdated, tired decor (antiques mixed with furniture from the 80s, shiny brass lamps mixed with brushed silver antique lamps… it just didn’t work)
- Carpet in the bedroom is way overdue replacement
- Balcony is nice but shared with four rooms
- For being a “bed and breakfast”, the breakfast was disappointing: day one featured a slice of lemon poppyseed bread, one small dish of mixed fruit in a sweet cream sauce – do not mistake this for a yogurt parfait! – and one small glass of juice. Day two: almond bread pastry and sliced bananas with cinnamon. No protein. Nothing hot.
- Breakfast is delivered to the room at 8am. This could be considered a pro or a con, depending on whether you want to eat said fruit in a sweet cream sauce with other guests or alone in your room.
- Coffee was only available in the “gathering room” (who gathers there, I don’t know) downstairs… why not deliver in a caraf with breakfast in the morning?
- The main entrance to the inn remains unlocked ALL NIGHT. The only lock on the individual room doors is a standard door handle with a turning lock – no deadbolt or chain.
- To access the waterfront and the firepit there, you must cross a road running between the inn and the water. It’s not a busy road, but there is traffic regardless.
- Only two pillows were on our bed, both of which were flat. No extras could be found in the room.

The verdict?
For Door County, this “B&B” is a good value. Don’t compare it to other hotels, B&Bs around the country, etc… but for DC, this place offers a decent stay for the price you pay. This place is on the market – hopefully a buyer will come along soon who will make the improvements needed to make this a place we’d recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: Rooms 5-8 are on the top floor and have a shared balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Allyson M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This B&B is in a wonderful location with a great view of the bay. We stayed in room 5 which was lovely, would highly recommend one of the end units to have a sitting area. The breakfasts were lacking however; they advertise a "full breakfast" but our first day was 1 muffin and some fruit (no coffee brought to us, had to get ourselves downstairs) and next was a scone and some fruit and 3rd day was oatmeal and sliced bananas (not a pretty plate for sure). It appears they use to offer a more substantial breakfast per other reviews and their website pictures. There is no internet which really is a bummer and not much on the tv for channels (it is HBO family, not the regular HBO by the way). The place is for sale...perhaps that is why things are lacking a bit? Price was right and we had a great time in Door County. I just think they need to be more truthful in their advertising...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BethandGer
Shell Lake, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We (my brother and I) took my mom to her first trip to Door County, and I wanted to find a cute place to stay. I looked at a ton of different B &B's, but this one just seemed to keep drawing me back. I called to make sure that I could get a ground floor, since my mom has fibromyalgia, and the owner seemed very friendly and helpful on the phone. When we arrived and checked in, she had all the stuff that we needed to make a campfire in the fire pit and roast marshmallows. Right on the shore of Door County, with beautiful sunsets. How neat is that! The breakfasts were awesome and you didn't have to join a group of strangers for a community breakfast, as with many B & B's. The room was beautiful, the gathering room had a lot of local information and always had the makings for tea, hot chocolate, etc. Bikes were provided that we used to go for a bike trip. Altogether, an absolutely wonderful time, and I'm already planning a trip back this fall with some girlfriends. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Shawn H
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Little Harbor Inn is a cute hidden bed & breakfast. We stumbled upon it online when there was a deal going on for the month of May. It has the perks of being away from the traffic/noise, has a gorgeous waterfront view, bonfire pit & chairs by the water, nicely decorated rooms, and a quiet atmosphere. We stayed in room 5, which includes a whirlpool tub next to the fireplace. The location was great for having access to HWY 42 and Sturgeon Bay. Overall it was a really relaxing stay. Highly recommended. I think this place would benefit from more advertising online since we went so long without knowing it existed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Little Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!