“Far from home...”

Ranked #7 of 15 Sturgeon Bay B&B and Inns
Ashquelon, HaDarom, Israel
“Far from home...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I were in Madison with our entire family(4 kids, one son in law and one grandson) for the wedding of my darling niece. We travelled from Israel for this reason. My husband and I did a short getaway from it all for 3 nights. The White Lace Inn was lovely and our room (room 6), although a bit small, was decorated very differently to what we are used to, and was very charming. It was perfectly clean, pleasant and comfortable. The bed was way too high and even hard to climb into! Other than that, the room was comfortable and so was the bed, once in it.

I loved that a cat roamed around and that a dog hung around the dining area-felt like at home. The Inn Keeper showed us to our rooms and when I once asked for wine glasses and a bottle opener he was very willing to provide. The food was drastically different to what we are used to. I honestly didnt like it not only because of my gluten free issues, but everything, even the juice, was so very sweet, we couldn't eat it. I realize cultures are different and this perhaps accounted for the sweetness, types of things served and pre sized amounts etc, but I think a slightly bigger variety would have made a huge difference. Coffee was not good, and was not piping hot. I missed espresso and Cappacinos. Fresh real juice would have been great. The other thing that bothered me a bit was that although the Inn Keeper was polite and accomodating, I think an effort could have been made to be more friendly and inquiring, especially to those who are from abroad. We bought a cellphone, an ATT, for this little trip and it didn't work in the entire Door County area, apparently ATT don't have reception there. We had no connection with our family except for one phone call the Inn Keeper allowed us to make, to Madison. I did not feel comfortable asking again as I felt the atmosphere a bit cool, but again, cultural differences may account for this. All in all, besides the issues I described, it was a charming place to stay. I would not mind staying there again, if I lived in the area, but I would certainly look and see what else was available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have a super high bed.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ilana F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We recently stayed at the White Lace Inn and while we wouldn't say we were disappointed we definitely won't be back.

We were greeted at check in by the cook and shown to our room. We didn't get the normal B&B welcome, more of a Holiday Inn front desk check in. She was nice enough but we are used to a more warm welcome and explanation of the property and amenities when we stay at a B&B.

The room was nice with a few annoyances like to way to watch tv in bed (the tv was in the sitting room). If you are like us and you like to fall asleep watching a movie it is a big negative although if you are not a tv person this could be a plus).

The real negative we found was the food. We have stayed at a lot of B&B's and what makes the special is both the bed and the breakfast. This place gets four stars for the bed and one for the breakfast. Bottom line the food was terrible. Tasteless, mass produced and honestly not worth eating. Everything seemed microwaved and pre prepared. Egg casserole the was cool in the middle and rubbery, fruit that was soggy. And even the coffee and juice seemed watered down. After our first breakfast we left and ate in town.

1 Thank TheWindyCityCouple
Kenosha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here on July 26--July 28, 2013. We were warmly greeted by the woman who does the cooking. She gave us a tour of the house we were staying in (the inn has 4 buildings sitting on it). The entire house has beautiful architectural designs and the house, including my husband's and my room, was impeccable in cleanliness. The grounds that the inn sits on are a beautiful garden, including a small pond with live fish, and pathways leading up to a gazebo. WARNING: there is a cat that lives on the grounds for anyone that might be allergic. There is also a cat that goes inside the main house when the lady that owns it does housekeeping.

We had Room 2 of the main house. The first thing I noticed: there was a window set in an interior wall between the bathroom and the main bed area. Even though it was frosted, people are still visible inside (like a "cloudy" visibility). I didn't like that. The rest of the room was very tastefully furnished in Victorian era style, with flowered wallpaper, nicely decorated bed and headboard, and a comfortable couch to sit on.

The bed was creaky during the night and every time my husband or I rolled over, I woke up. That was a definite negative.

The whirlpool tub was the highlight of my evenings there. The tub is big enough for 2 average sized people, but not overflowing in volume. I found the tub to be a most pleasant experience. I was able to control the heat to however hot I wanted it, unlike public motel whirlpools.

The breakfast in the morning is a pre-portioned, but adequate, amount of food. The first day was a delightful egg, bacon, sweet pepper, and cheese croissant sandwich, served with vanilla yogurt topped with granola and fresh berries. It also came with a tiny portion of some kind of sweet homemade bread. Very tasty. The second day consisted of an egg bake, again with peppers and cheese in it, but this time it contained hash brown potatoes. Very tasty again. It also came with a muffin and something they call "Scandinavian Fruit Soup." Whatever it was, it was delicious. I don't like pears normally, but the various fruits (including the pears), combined with the sauce over it, was very good. Both days of meals come complete with juice and tea or coffee, your choice.

We finally met Dennis on Saturday afternoon, 1 day after we checked in (presumably, this is when his staff have a day off). He was there again Sunday morning. He seems to be personable enough...barely. He talked at great lengths with people he already knew, but he largely ignored all the other people staying on his property. As we were heading over to him to return our room key for check-out, he curtly responded to go to the kitchen door and knock and someone in there would take care of it. It seemed like an imposition for him to take care of us, because he was chatting away with the people he knew. This was a first for us...we have always been warmly greeted by the OWNERS of the properties and warmly taken care of as far as check-out by the OWNERS, not by staff. Not that I mind being taken care of by staff, because I certainly don't. It is simply Dennis' attitude about it that bugged me. I don't think we will be back based on that alone. In addition, we never did meet the other owner, Bonnie. I am not making any presumptions about that, but in every B & B we have ever stayed at, all the parties listed as owners have been there to greet us...again, I don't know if this is the norm or not, for I haven't stayed at many B & Bs yet.

Overall, it was a fairly decent experience and it is within walking distance of the downtown shopping area of Sturgeon Bay...a definite plus for people who like to shop. There is ample parking on the grounds as well. But my mind keeps flitting back to how Dennis treated most of his guests that Sunday morning and THAT is what will probably keep my husband and me from going back.

Room Tip: If you don't like windows in your bathroom that you can partially see through, then Room 2 of th...
4 Thank gbpacky2008
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Great service, beautiful garden with gazebo and delicious breakfast. We went here for a wedding and had never been to a B&B before. The owner was very nice and walked us to our room explained the age of the antique furniture, when breakfast was, etc. I read the review about the inconsistent TV reception and we didn't have any problems and I don't think people normally go to a B&B to watch TV. The breakfast the first day was awesome the second day was good. It's just enough! If we travel to Sturgeon Bay we will definitely stay here again.

travelpro123
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

The Inn is a marvelous and well-taken care-off bed-and-breakfast in a nice location just a little above the main drag in Sturgeon Bay, near the 3rd Avenue Historic District. It consists of several buildings around a lovely garden and small pond; we stayed in a first floor room with a nice, functioning "real" fireplace at the Garden House. The room, bed, and bathroom were all very comfortable, clean and nice; it is a pleasure to relax a little in front of the fire; wood and a fuel starter is provided. Wifi is free and works very well. The innkeeper is not the friendliest person you will ever meet, but the appearance, sleep quality and cleanliness of the inn is worth the cost. Beware of the breakfast and keep expectations low, in that case you won’t be too disappointed. Watch out for evening races at the Thunderhill Raceway which is northeast of the Inn: There will be loud car racing noise until around 10 p.m., I guess this is the case only on weekends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelpr0123
Illinois City, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We have been staying at the White Lace almost since they opened. I t was our first B&B and it is still the standard for us for cleanliness, friendliness and style. There is much to do in Door County, but sitting on the porch or in the gardens with a good book and a glass of iced tea is one of the best! We have always had great service and breakfasts here. And it is only a a short walk from the shops and restaurants of Downtown Sturgeon Bay.

Room Tip: The website has very good descriptions of all the rooms - check out each one before you decide.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Too bad. Nice property, lovely gardens with gazebo and lilly pond. Reasonable room, nice toiletries and towels. Loud window AC, inconsistent TV reception, very poor breakfast...no wonderful aromas at the White Lace Inn. If breakfast isn't important, it's a nice place to sleep.

1 Thank SanaliA
Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort
BEST WESTERN Maritime Inn
BEST WESTERN Maritime Inn
#6 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to White Lace Inn? Share your experiences!