“Consistently a great meal”
Review of La Tolteca - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mexican
Description: (608) 834-6142 phone #
Description: (608) 834-6142 phone #
Reviewed 26 December 2013

La Tolteca in Sun Prairie Wisconsin is a little nondescript restaurant in the middle of downtown that consistently provides a great close-to-Mexican-food meal with great service. We have dined there several times and each time, we are reminded of similar meals that we have had in Cozumel or Costa Maya. There is a great variety of offerings and we have tried many and found every meal and appetizer to be great! And their happy hour is awesome...huge Mexican beer (i.e., Pacifico, Modelo, Dos Equis) for very few bucks. It's worth the drive to downtown Sun Prairie for this meal and great Mexican atmosphere!

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I have eaten in this restaurant with groups several times. The kitchen does not seem capable of timing their cooking so that the food of everyone in a group is hot and ready at about the same time. Each time, the warmth of our food has varied greatly -- from piping hot to lukewarm to cold. A cold chile relleno is nasty. Naaasty.

In addition, if seated in the back room in the winter, prepare to leave your coat on and make sure you have warm boots. We ate there one winter day and my feet got so cold from the ice cold floor that it took nearly two hours to warm up again.

1  Thank Millie6119
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We love La Tolteca. My husband and I go there for dinner as often as possible which is not often enough, in my book. And when my daughter and son-in-law come to visit, we take them there, too. We love the enchiladas, salsa and chips, margaritas (!) and fajitas the best.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Went there for the first time. Customer service was poor and food was average. Restaurant caters to non-Mexican customers. I don't understand why call themselves authentic. My husband ordered taquitos and I ordered a veggie taco salad. He liked the rice and I liked the taco shell. The chips & salsa were mediocre. I rather go to Taco Bell!

Reviewed 1 November 2012

When your food finally gets to you, it's hot & very good. It's a bit cramped in the restaurant & dark in the back. Certainly not going here for the ambiance. They were great to work around my food allergies - it just took forever.