“Nice Joint for an evening hangout”
Review of Plate & Barrel - CLOSED

Plate & Barrel
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bengaluru, India
“Nice Joint for an evening hangout”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Nice Joint for an evening hangout. I was there with my team for a celebration last week and it was good fun. Drinks are good but eating options are limited. Good service.

• Visited April 2014

Marshall, Wisconsin
“Pricey with hit-or-miss food and slow delivery”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Went on a Friday evening. The restaurant was fairly full. My party had a reservation so we were seated immediately. The server was very good, pointed out several drink and menu items and made recommendations. A martini was $10, standard well mix drinks were $7, which I consider on the expensive side. My party of 4 ordered 7 food items. They came out individually, almost too staggered in that we were waiting almost 15 minutes between plates (bringing out 2-3 dishes at a time would've made more sense for the size of party). The seafood gnocchi was delicious. The Korean ribs were overcooked and chewy, though the kimchi rice they were served with was one of the evening's best items. The baked scallop with broccoli cornbread was decent, as were the steamed mussels. The biggest disappointments were the $3 charge for a paltry plate of bread (which wasn't all that wonderful) and the bacon wrapped dates which arrived last, nearly an 90 minutes after they were ordered, and were mostly burnt. Since we didn't want to wait another hour for a new order, we ate them as is. The pomegranite glaze was wonderful and the dish had the potential to be amazing, but the quality was definitely lacking. For dessert, we had the bourbon bread pudding which was not overly sweet (a good thing) but a little too booze-y for my and my party's liking. We never saw a manager at any point in our nearly 2 hour visit.

The ambience tries to be cozy and romantic with the dim lights and contemporary vibe, but the acoustics are awful. It was very noisy and the tables felt very close together. I guess this should be expected considering the small square footage. I will add that although it was too cold to dine outside, the outdoor seating area with gas fire pit looked like a great place to hang out on a cool spring evening.

I haven't decided whether or not to try again. Perhaps if I had been less hungry or we had gone on a less busy evening the pace of the meal would've been better. There were other menu items that sounded intriguing, such as the pork belly burnt ends nachos and the pig, fig, and goat salad, but I'm not sure I want to pay those prices for a crap shoot in regards to quality.

• Visited May 2014
Rochester, New York
“My favorite type of food!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Tapas is what I love to try - small tastes of lots of different things. Our waiter recommended 4 dishes for 2 of us and I can say that 3 would have been plenty! Everything was great though and the bacon-wrapped dates with feta and pomegranate glaze were fabulous! Thumbs up for the chicken remoulade too! My friend and I were trying to decide which wine we wanted, and the waiter brought us samples to try which I thought was very helpful! I would definitely come back again to try some of the other menu items. The mixed drink menu looked really creative and I would have liked to try one of those as well.

1 Thank S P
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Great new take on dining out!”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Had a fantastic dinner the other night at Plate & Barrel in Sun Prairie and absolutely loved it! The tapas theme is wonderful, gives you the oppportunity to taste lots of new and interesting foods and combinations. The food was really great and the presentation wonderful. We had warm and friendly wait staff who helped us through the selection process. Congrats to the owners of Buck & Honey's for opening this new and exciting dining experience! (Also, this was the anniversary of our friends, and they got a special cocktail on the house to celebrate!)

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Good food. Decent service. Terrible acoustics.”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I enjoy a good tapas place. This one won't make my "must return" list however.

The food was on average, good. We had some very stellar items, while others were... "meh." (Presentation for all of them was quite good.) The service was definitely above average. The atmosphere, however, while clean is definitely not my favorite. It has been a long time since I have been somewhere that I felt the acoustics were terrible. With the place about 25% full, the noise was quite annoying. And, on top of that, while sitting across the the entire restaurant, you could hear the bartender throwing away bottles like they were doing it right next to you which was quite annoying.

Overall, not a bad experience, but at the same time, not a great one.